Advice on extension of stay based on marriage

Hi,

I have done some research but am getting a usual different answers from different places I look, so am looking for a bit of advice please.

My background.

I have a UK passport and entered the country on a SETV on the 28/02/2016 from the UK with an exit by date of 27/04/2016.

I have today 10/03/2016 cleared funds into my thai bank account of 400,000thb

I plan to marry early April as per my affirmation of marriage states.

Once married ideally I would like to get a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage, but my first question is can I get this extension on top of the 30 day SETV extension I will need to get so as to allow the 400,000thb to season for the required 2 months?

I have also been told that once married I can get a 60 day extension at immigration by just showing marriage cert and ID doc of myself and wife? Is this true, because if so may be the better option to give a bit of breathing space to get all paperwork ready for the 1 year extension.

Any help with a best plan of action would be greatly appreciated and if I have missed any details that are needed to help with your advice please ask.

thanks.

Once married normal procedure would be to visit a Thai Consulate in nearby country to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa allowing a 90 day stay on return to Thailand and then make extension of stay for one year during the last 30 days of that stay. You must have a non immigrant entry to extend for one year marriage. You take marriage certificate and proof of your bank deposit with you (and nice to also take wife or at least a current letter from her requesting visa be issued).

Edit: Conversion to non immigrant entry at Bangkok might also be an option with at least 15 days remaining but believe a trip could make a nice experience if together and is easy to do.

• The 400k must be in your account for a full 2 months prior to the application day.

Yes, once married you can apply to extend your stay by 60 days. You will need to go apply at the immigration office that covers the area you live in.

• The 400k must be in your account for a full 2 months prior to the application day.
  • Yes, once married you can apply to extend your stay by 60 days. You will need to go apply at the immigration office that covers the area you live in.

Thanks for that.

Do you know what documents I will need to take to immigration to get the initial 60 day extension?

• Yes, once married you can apply to extend your stay by 60 days. You will need to go apply at the immigration office that covers the area you live in.

Thanks for that.

Do you know what documents I will need to take to immigration to get the initial 60 day extension?

• Form TM7 (the standard extension of stay application). Reason: Visit wife. Period of extension: 60 days.
  • 1 x photo.
  • Original marriage certificate and signed copy.
  • Signed copies of you passport pages: ID, Entry Stamp, Visa, Departure Card.
  • Signed copies of your wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Maybe they will want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them.
  • 1,900 baht.
  • Your wife will need to go with you.
  • Forms can be downloaded here. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=download
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

you can do the 60 day extension, but at some point you will need a non imm 'o' visa either issued outside the country or a conversion within Thailand ( as posted by lopburi3)

the non imm'o' would also allow for seasoning of funds. if you go for the 60 days and the non imm ;o; then you would not apply for your 1 year extension until the end of Aug.

• 3 years later...