Bangkok's New Roads Will All Get Cycle Lanes

george

Bangkok's new roads will all get cycle lanes

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will develop bicycle lanes based on successful models seen in other cities.

"I have already instructed the BMA Traffic and Transportation Department to survey and develop the bicycle lanes," Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin said yesterday.

His honorary adviser, Nipat Boonyapattaro, said the BMA would hold a one-day campaign to promote cycling in the capital on November 19.

Participants will cycle around Bangkok, attend a seminar on the benefits of cycling and see a demonstration of how to cycle properly.

The activities will start at 8am at the National Stadium.

Apirak said any new roads built in the capital from now on would include cycle lanes.

On improving the city's pavements, the governor said there would be three new designs to suit specific locations - historical areas, tourist areas and general areas - with an emphasis on cost-effectiveness, durability and ease of maintenance.

"I have already instructed the relevant authorities to consider building ramps along the footpaths for people with disabilities," Apirak added.

--The Nation 2006-10-27

new road build in the capital?? Where? is there any place for new roads? Good excuse for not building them...

Joining the traffic police officiers reduced life span due to traffic pollution? nah, I don't think so

they already have cycle lanes , they are called pavements.

They are for the motocy not the bicycles.

That's why they need bike lanes, the pavements are to rough for the motocy's. Can't see it working but at least it'll give the street food vendors more space for their seating.

In theory that is a great step forward, but in practice I fear they won't make any more space, but just steal space normally used by street vendors and pedestrians who will in turn take over the bike lanes. Studying other countries that work is a good approach, but they should not forget about thai street usage and habits. Alotting an appropriate amount of space for vendors, pedestrians, bikes, and also greenery (I recall they announced a few years ago about Bangkok becoming a green city as it lags behind the world in this regard) seems a nice thing to say, but in practice I fear they will choose the most "compact" model like the new airport. :o I could be wrong, but I don't have my hopes up on this one.

Thai drivers are so illdisciplined and anarchic they will drive in the bike lanes so negating any bikers use , and probly squashing them flat as a pancake. I mean they drive on the pavement with impunity so bike lanes will have no chance .Unless there is a raised kurb to keep them out. mind you motorbike taxis will be able to get around faster .

First of all we have to define cycle way - one thing that it isn't is two painted white lines on the pavement/sidewalk! Cycling on the pavement is still illegal in the UK.

In my opinion, the cheapest way would be to have a dedicated lane about 2 metres wide in a different coloured asphalt. The main problems are keeping other road users out of the lane and poor maintenance.

We have a network of canals in Bangkok, why not build cycle paths alongside them - where land permits otherwise there would have to be an elevated support structure.

One more suggestion would be an introduction of a cycling proficiency test to educate cyclists.

Thai drivers are so illdisciplined and anarchic they will drive in the bike lanes so negating any bikers use , and probly squashing them flat as a pancake. I mean they drive on the pavement with impunity so bike lanes will have no chance .Unless there is a raised kurb to keep them out. mind you motorbike taxis will be able to get around faster .

Agree. If they can flatten two pedestrians on a pedestrian crossing, holding pedestrian flags... :D

Thai drivers see space, road, path or other and will attempt to drive on it to beat traffic jams.

The whole idea is a non-starter :o

There's a bike lane adjacent to the road that runs parallel to the expressway/railway line between Rama IV and Sukhumvit. It's been there for years and is mostly used by people to park their cars on. And nostrel's comments about local `drivers' perfectly explains why that is.