Neighbour's trees overhanging my property

if he complains give him 500 baht or a bottle of booze.

Why on earth should I? I simply want to know the legal situation here and what my rights are.

I have the same situation, we did approach our neighbor first we got permission to cut anything on our side of the wall. Since the tree was so tall I could not reach the higher limbs of the tree from my side, So we went back to him. He has cut the tree back but we still have some limbs over our property line dropping leaves in our yard... My wife says we have the right to cut anything on our side of the wall, Next we plan to complete the cutting back, what he did not do... The plan is for me to do it this time. So I guess it is legal for you to cut anything on your side of the wall, but best to seek out the neighbor.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait until no more "hands" of banana's set, and then chop off the flower - get your wife to make fritters with it - delicious..!

But be careful of the sap that will drip off the cut stem for a few days, as it will permanently stain any clothing - could put a small bag over the cut end until it dries up.

Wait 3-4 more weeks for the fruit to mature - cut the whole bunch just as the first few start to yellow, and let the rest ripen off the corn (or the tree).

Enjoy your bananas....!

If the neighbor complains, give him a bill for your time in disposing of his weeds, and for any damage resulting from the dripping sap.

smile.png

How about cutting the flower and planting it in a large flower pot. Cut the fruit and let them ripen.

Write a letter (dated) and leave them all near your gate.

If the neighbour comes looking for them, hand them over, explaining what you tried to do and ask him/her what would be preferable in the future.

No money hand outs.

A suggestion to be safe in your accions whatever you do

Be sure you do a police report mentioning the law number and ensure you get police confirmation of your delivery note Iinwriting.who ever owns the house book must do that youodo not own the land unless ur Thai

Good luck

You can just cut the flower part off, people eat those. It should take care of the mess and there will still be bananas later. Also you can eat the flower.

also you can put the flower in a vase and enjoy its beauty smile.png

Sounds like the end of the world- I would employ some very HiSo lawyers.

Is this making a major difference to your life? I would just enjoy the crop of bananas .

Sometimes first world problems creep into our lives.

Just cut it down, looks much easier from your side, because of the fence. No problem at all. Besides, find out where the owner lives, such a property needs maintenance, so it should be possible to contact the owner as other trees will grow on your estate. We had this problem with rubber trees damaging our roof, so asked the owner to cut them himself or we would do it and present him the bill. He did it himself and we had a nice dinner together. Problem solved.

Even 4 ft Thai men have guns. Personally I would cut it without contacting the owner. Have lived in Thailand too long!

Even 4 ft Thai men have guns. and friends.

We are talking about bannas and you are talking about guns.

Thing is, I can't determine which is the more stupid conversation.

Why on earth should I? I simply want to know the legal situation here and what my rights are.

good god , man up a little .

Even 4 ft Thai men have guns. Personally I would cut it without contacting the owner. Have lived in Thailand too long!

Even 4 ft Thai men have guns. and friends.

We are talking about bannas and you are talking about guns.

Thing is, I can't determine which is the more stupid conversation.

I wasn't talking about guns, I was talking about the Thai friends.

If you are so concerned, go talk to the poo yai ban. They will tell you what to do. Their job is dealing with all the BS that goes on in a village.

Good advise.

Try to get the phone number from your neighbor.

Your Thai girl should settle this little problem.

It is just a single banana plant with little value. Just jump over the fence one evening with a sharp machete and cut it down. The odds of anyone noticing a single missing plant in a cluster of plants is minimal. If you want to be more subtle then cut the stalk into manageable pieces and toss them over to your side of the fence to compost naturally. The daughter plants surrounding the mother stock will grow quickly and hide the evidence. If the owner complains a single bottle of Sang Som should be more than enough in financial compensation.

Don't get hung up on legal status and rights here.

You can go through a lot of aggravation and expense trying to establish or enforce them....

Once the fruit is ready for picking your problem is over... just be wary of future growth.

Edited by jacko45k

Just wrap a large garbage bag around it.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

And what will that do, kill the flower and fruit? Is that allowed in Thailand? My GF seems to think that the owner of the banana tree could demand compensation if I damage the fruit, even though it's hanging over my property. I don't think that would happen back home, but Thailand has so many weird laws and rules you never know.

I am telling from experience, it WILL kill the flower and all the fruit, but I had the same problem and propped it up with Bamboo, and placed a piece of fish net under it catching all the baddies and keeping my walkway clean - the neighbor always shared the bananas with me.

Just cut it down...

You think he knows how many flowers he has smile.png

I'm no expert, but I think one banana tree equals one flower equals one bunch of fruit. It's hard to miss something as big as a banana tree, and if there's no fruit I guess he'll wonder where it went. I don't really want to get into an argument with the neighbours for obvious reasons, plus the family that own the plot must have some serious money as the land alone is worth around 40 million Baht at today's prices. I expect they could afford a better lawyer than me.

Get your woman to do it for God's sakes. Thai women are fearless unlike the majority of farang who seem to be terrified of 4ft thai men

It's smart to be terrified of a 4ft Thai man...who is connected to another 4ft Thai man, and another and another.....

Just cut it down...

You think he knows how many flowers he has smile.png

I'm no expert, but I think one banana tree equals one flower equals one bunch of fruit. It's hard to miss something as big as a banana tree, and if there's no fruit I guess he'll wonder where it went. I don't really want to get into an argument with the neighbours for obvious reasons, plus the family that own the plot must have some serious money as the land alone is worth around 40 million Baht at today's prices. I expect they could afford a better lawyer than me.

Get your woman to do it for God's sakes. Thai women are fearless unlike the majority of farang who seem to be terrified of 4ft thai men

It's smart to be terrified of a 4ft Thai man...who is connected to another 4ft Thai man, and another and another.....

Like in a "daisy chain" :)

This thread is just another example of how completely out oftouch so many here are with their environment, and how many live in fear of the locals and in thrall to your wives.

If you can't make a decision ove a simple bunch of bananas you have much greater issues at hand.

I see posts on this site every day from utterly clueless individuals who are agonizing over non issues.

One can only wonder how you have managed thus far.

I have given you what is by far the simplest solution - cut them down.

I have given you a contingency plan if there are repercussions - make a small offering commensurate with the value of the bananna in either cash or alcohol, it could result in a friendly and ongoing relationship, especially if you can get into the bottle with

Personally, I believe that the home owner could not care less, and and any contact you may have will be with the indentured retainer, simply because he is selling the bananas on or bartering with them. Hence the negligible compensation - but I also believe this will never happen. Nothing will be said and bananna grow like weeds.

Attempting to follow legal channels will out you as an utter twunt, small day to day issues need to be dealt with quickly, quietly and in a manner that allows everyone to keep face, much like in the West.

Ultimately you need to do something or do nothing, either way I suspect you are the only one giving this any real thought.

Edited by HooHaa

Good to have that info on the official code. Probably a letter under his door would do, keeping a photo of you doing such notification.

No chance of putting it under his door as the whole plot is a compound with no access. They must have a letter box at the gate though, so hopefully putting it in that would be enough.

To be honest the situation, at least as far as I can make head or tail of it, is unusual in that the large plot of land has a big house on it that's empty almost all the time. Once or twice a year, usually around Songkran and New Year, a bunch of young Thais descend on it, party for a day or two, and then disappear back where they came from, Bangkok maybe? I am living in Pattaya. There's also a small bungalow on the plot and I assume that they have a full-time caretaker-come-gardener living there looking after the property most of the year, except that he seldom seems to be there either. That's why I mentioned earlier that it's very difficult to get hold of anybody in this place.

Probably owned by a corrupt Politician or Police man or Government official of some capacity and they are in jail or prison now....... or on the run....that being the reason why you can not connect with them and they are never around and no one else is seen on the property as they are also in hiding....lol

Just an imaginative assumption on my part with the current political climate hanging over peoples heads.

Cheers