Beware Driving - Interesting Sighting Today

pgrahmm

I have never heard of a person in Thailand receiving a notice in the mail for a driving infraction. I have never seen a Thai driver cited for running a red light.

"...red lights and double lines are only suggestions....." along with lane jumping, not indicating turns.

Now here in BKK you get notice in the mail for crossing white lines and going to fast ect (they got camera's on some spots) Wish they had them for red light jumping too.

I have never heard of a person in Thailand receiving a notice in the mail for a driving infraction. I have never seen a Thai driver cited for running a red light.

"...red lights and double lines are only suggestions....." along with lane jumping, not indicating turns.

Becoming much more common.. I myself have had a few..

3 tickets in one day all in the post.. Samui to CNX haul.

And did you pay? I have a few local friends who just ignore it. In worst case they'll ask you to pay up with the next tax, don't think there is an additional penalty markup.

I received one for speeding on highway 1 south of Tak. It included a photo that clearly showed the number plate of the car and the driver. I didn't see anything when I was driving; I was too busy negotiating the ruts in the inside lane and the loonies.

Same happened to me same place 3 weeks ago. Loonies that stay in the outside lane all the time driving 60 km. per hour . 400,== THB. fine. Oh well.

They also give tickets in the post for riding without a helmet ,here in Chiang Mai .My wife used to hire out motorcycles ,so the tickets along with the riders photo would come to us ,the registered bike owner .

I received one for speeding on highway 1 south of Tak. It included a photo that clearly showed the number plate of the car and the driver. I didn't see anything when I was driving; I was too busy negotiating the ruts in the inside lane and the loonies.

I received one as well, speeding on the Superhighway with the cop stationed under the Mahidol Rd overpass. But I have not seen a cop there in ages. Last I heard was that the present gov doesn't approve of radar guns to catch speeders.

And did you pay? I have a few local friends who just ignore it. In worst case they'll ask you to pay up with the next tax, don't think there is an additional penalty markup.

I did because I was selling that vehicle and wanted no hassles.. With another vehicle I have never paid, and its never come up.. and that one would have a LOT of tickets..

I also never bothered to change my address from Phuket with it, so god knows..

Also, there seems little consistency on what an unmarked highway speed limit is..

I have read variously 90, 110, 120 for highways.. One cop told me a dual carriageway highway was 110.. My GPS also says 110 and shows a red indicator when over that.. Another has said 120..

But then to confuse that more on one ticket I got, I was marked as doing 123 in a 120 zone.. so 3pkh over.. They have no 'speedo error' safe zone.. I thought a ticket for 3 kph was a bit tight, whats the error ratio on that equipment !!! That 120 'zone' was the standard highway 1 near nakhon sawan were my GPS says 110.. So is it 120 or 110 ??

You had the case in Phuket where the local tessabaan just decided there were too many accidents so he goes and puts in a huge amount of 60kph signs. on a 110 kph road.. This caused the usual questioning and they then tried to say it was only and advisory.. So you have formal road speed signs, in place, which are advisory and bear no relation to the legal speed limit !! i mean what idiot thinks thats a good idea ! Now your free to doubt and question the signs, maybe they are not real !!

Then you really do not know many people I have recieved two in the mail both for speeding. som num na

Also, there seems little consistency on what an unmarked highway speed limit is..

I have read variously 90, 110, 120 for highways.. One cop told me a dual carriageway highway was 110.. My GPS also says 110 and shows a red indicator when over that.. Another has said 120..

But then to confuse that more on one ticket I got, I was marked as doing 123 in a 120 zone.. so 3pkh over.. They have no 'speedo error' safe zone.. I thought a ticket for 3 kph was a bit tight, whats the error ratio on that equipment !!! That 120 'zone' was the standard highway 1 near nakhon sawan were my GPS says 110.. So is it 120 or 110 ??

You had the case in Phuket where the local tessabaan just decided there were too many accidents so he goes and puts in a huge amount of 60kph signs. on a 110 kph road.. This caused the usual questioning and they then tried to say it was only and advisory.. So you have formal road speed signs, in place, which are advisory and bear no relation to the legal speed limit !! i mean what idiot thinks thats a good idea ! Now your free to doubt and question the signs, maybe they are not real !!

So complicated,

I drive without any of those considerations, no gps, I do not read road signs, what any policeman told me in the past is long forgotten and I do it without a speedometer.

Bumped in 2 speedtraps with following roadblock this week, first one before Sing Buri, the next one before In Buri on the 32. GPS showed 120 and 118, they let me through. So this seems to be the acceptable speed, before one gets caught.

Those shouting for CCT cameras . Take a look at the UK . Probably got more cameras per person than any other Country in the World. Are they any use. Does not seem so. They are very grainy and half don't get maintained. Also you need the staff to peruse the United paid fines.

photo radar does exist; my uncle go a speeding ticket,in the mail, for a violation somewhere in and around Hod (Hot) and my wife's cousins hubby got nailed during a road trip somewhere in Phetchabun province....and received notice in the mail.

Im surprised the BIB have yet to really clue into how much of a cash cow this could be for them...no need to be out in the hot sun shaking down the unsuspecting public ,just sit back and watch the numbers roll in. Why think with your feet when theres cheap technology to exploit.

Photo radar, red light cameras, vans with cameras parked on roadsides et... has always been a massive revenue source for the cops in my home town.

Did you read the previous posts?

It's not a cash cow as it has to come with a legitimate bill.

Countryside BiB now have laser guns, but don't know how to use them. Had one in a 45 degrees angle pointing at me. Do the maths.

Either you get stopped in real time and they charge you 400B, or they take 200 without receipt (unlikely these days).

Everything else, ask for official receipt, iff possible record it in the dash cam and report them. Simple.