dutch visa for Thai wife

I am Canadian, we've been married 19 years 3 kids. she has several Shengen visa's in old passports. I have been looking through the posts here and it says that she needs to book an appointment, and have insurance. It doesnt say anything about that on the Dutch Embassy web site. We live 1000k from BKK so would have to fly there for any appointment. Is it possible to apply for the visa through the mail? I am a bit of a cheep Charley! I am just using up air miles, she wants to see the tulips. I really dont want too much hassle though as we will only be going for 4 or 5 days.

I just stumbled across the VFS site which pretty much explains everything so looks like a hassle. Maybe Cape Town would be better. She has her heart set on the tulips though.

What seems to be the hassle?

Get an appointment to aplpy at either the VFS VAC (trendy building) or directly at the embassy itself, your wife takes the paperwork with her:(travelinsurance, proof of funds ot atleast 34 euro/day such as a bankaccount that she clearly has access to, a hotel reservation, a reservation -not a paid booking- for the flight, the passport and passport photo and you're pretty much already there. Fill in the Schenge application form, include one short letter written by the both of you explaining your plans, see if you can add anything that proofs she has reasons to return back home.

This pretty much applies to all Schengen memberstates (but obviously check out country specific details) and most people get their visa. The Dutch grant abou 99% of visas applied for from Thailand. The Dutch simply want to know what your plan is, that you have the financial means for the trip, accomodation and that you will return in time. If they are are satisfied, you get the visa.

You may wish to check the Schengen sticky but the VFS site should be your primairy source. You may also wish to read the brochure from the IND (Immigration & Naturalisation Dep.) on short stays to NL:

https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/short-stay/forms-brochures/Pages/default.aspx

If you do come to NL, try to visit in April or (early) May. Near the end of May you may find tullips are about to go out of season. The Keukenhof (just south of Amsterdam) is always popular with Asians. Touring the countrysight ("bollenvelden" in Dutch) is also a popular thing. My late wife very much enjoyed visiting the area. Added benefit was that I/we live not far from there so a spontanious visit was no problem at all. Yet have to meet the first (Thai) person regretting such a trip. You coudl go by public bus but I believe there are also organized tours with big and smaller busses. TheOldGit knows more about that though, being a Dutchy myself I never looked into tourist packages.

Edited by Donutz

Make sure that you can convince the authorities that she will go back to Thailand. Documents as Chanotte, birth certificate children, etc will help. This is in fact a very important detail. If the paperwork is oke, the whole procedure is very easy to do. Don't worry about the interview at the embassy. If she looks like a decent lady and politely answers the very few questions it will take les than 2 minutes.

The only hassle is that we would have to travel to BKK, to apply for the visa. Its also high season in Amsterdam so Hotels that I looked into are double their low season rate. How would I apply for the appointment call VFS? How quick could we get the appointment? We are planning on going sometime in April so should be a good time for the tulips. She has health insurance but not the amount required for the visa does anyone have a suggestion for insurance?

Instructions on how to get an appointment are on the VFS site and would depend on if she applies at VFS' VAC (should be able to get an appointment on short notice) or at the embassy (may take longer to get an appointment but no more then 2 weeks). The processing may take 1-2 weeks and the passport can be sent back via EMS. She wil need a medical travel insurance (which isn't tye same as health insurance), such as from AXA.

• Like 1