Canadian tourist attacked in Pattaya

rooster59

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

You are assuming that the Thais are telling the truth here?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bars that do this risk a complete shutdown or a loss of business. Indeed, if there was a bill problem- the police should have been called. In addition, they were violating closing time. It could be an argument started over the amount of the bill. This happens often in seedy areas like Pattaya where many bars are known to pad the tab. Until the police get serious about doing their job- such as closing these places on time and making sure there is zero tolerance for beating up patrons, it will continue.And because of social media- these beatings are now spread Worldwide quickly. This is a good reason for tourists to avoid the bar areas in Pattaya. The bar owners/managers better get there house in order before its too late. I can tell you one thing- their is not a bar owner in any of the entertainment areas of Bangkok that is not interested in selling out and quickly. This is a dying business in Thailand.

Edited by Thaidream

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

I can't say,,, "like you do", that I believe everything a Thai bar worker says to the police.

I think you must be a tourist as well.

What fluff.

So what's the charges for attacking cops and foreign tourists in a police station. Hope this bar gets shut down as a result. We don't know all the details yet, would be interesting to hear the side the Canadian victim gives as to what he was attacked with, and if his bill was disputed and simply not paid for. A lot of the tourist areas have bars that are known to inflate the bills on the sly.

Yes we have heard the same old harmful to the Pattaya tourism story. Quote Police will follow up enquiries with the victim so that the perpetrators of the attack are brought to justice in another attack very harmful to Pattaya's tourism industry. unquote. This is usually the first sound bite played. I would like to hear the Canadians side of the story rather than the old "he would not pay for his drinks" story. Funny the bar man still tried to attack him in the police station. Bit Beskero.

Edited by elgordo38

I read sometime back that if bar, disco, gogo bar owner or their employee fight with any foreigners for any reason their bar will be closed for at least 6 months. So let see what will happen in this case. Will they really do that and also pay him handsome money for his injuries or they will just fine the bar few hundred baht and finish with it.

I hope they do as they said to make this beautiful city free from all the junks.

Or perhaps they tried to overcharge him for drinks he didn't order. OR maybe he only thought he was being overcharged. Either way I don't think it's fair to say "idiot farang" and automatically take sides with the guy who slashed the victim with a beer bottle, then starting kicking him in the police station, then proceeded to start kicking the police. That's the kind of thing someone does when they're on amphetamines. He doesn't sound like a very stable person honestly.

I think your right on here.

The baby has a problem and knows he doesn't need to pay accountability for his actions.

This behavior alone gives judges in normal countries reason enough to side with the brutally beaten Canadian, (who I don't believe came here to steel from honest bars), LOL, LOL. Give me a brake. He's freaking out in the police station over money that supposedly is owed to his boss.

I had a girlfriend like this once. Every time,,, lies, lies, lies.

500 baht fine each and sweep it under the carpet quickly.

Why should the Thai who made the citizens arrest of a fleeing, drunken, foreign thief be fined?

And to those who will be claiming the "another final nail in the Thai tourism industry" I reckon that this Pattaya Soi 7 punter WILL be back and won't be put off from returning to Thailand. He will have second thoughts about doing a bill runner next time though.

And even if he doesn't ever return, I don't think any Thais will miss him anyway.

Citizen's arrest and brutal assault - put your drink down and go to bed.

Like BossBar says it swings both ways. But it can be deadly either way it swings. Nearly killing a person is not worth the loss of such a small amount of money. I think many people coming here dont realize the teeth this place has. Best to stay in line and try and use any street smarts you have. Get ripped off just leave. Dont go back. I dont have a problem with paying as I go if I dont really know the place. There is a good reason that the U.S Millitary demands sodiers on leave pay round to round.

Like BossBar says it swings both ways. But it can be deadly either way it swings. Nearly killing a person is not worth the loss of such a small amount of money. I think many people coming here dont realize the teeth this place has. Best to stay in line and try and use any street smarts you have. Get ripped off just leave. Dont go back. I dont have a problem with paying as I go if I dont really know the place. There is a good reason that the U.S Millitary demands sodiers on leave pay round to round.

Agree with you 100% Nick.

Not a day passes by where a seedy story does not rear it's ugly head from the ugliest place in LOS

A bit like England also, not forgetting usa, germany, france etc etc etc

True I know, just making a point that Pattaya happens to be the skid mark of this country, quite literally. However your point referred to an entire country whereas mine was at a city or shall I say large town, kinda different

Skid mark ???????

What a complete Eegit.

Plenty of Towns and Cities a lot worse than Pattaya in England, Germany, France and USA.

BWAAAAHAAHAAA - I was really with you right up until this statement. I'm an old guy as my avatar will prove and I've been around some. I actually like the seamy places like Pattaya but I'd be so interested to read from you just what constitutes " a lot worse than". Senseless violence? Mugging? Pickpocketing? Balcony "jumping"? Do tell - names and stats please.

Cities in Mexico, Brazil, Syria, Iraq, Poland and the USA for a start.

I often get drunk late at night in Pattaya, I always pay my bill, don't mouth off to Thais and feel perfectly safe.

For the amount of alcohol that gets drunk, I reckon per liter, there is not that much trouble.

And I like how this story about a thief has been spun around to blame the Thais as usual. This is Thailand, it is not unusual for thieves,both Farang and Thai to be given a little physical lesson when caught. Thai style justice whether you approve of it or not. I do.

He was taken to the police station because he was a thief, not hospital. His wounds were not that serious.

I have no sympathy for thieves being taught a lesson. In western countries it would be a little slap on the wrist and released to steal again. The Thais know how to deal with these types. I know if I want to do a runner on the bill, if I get caught I will probably cop a beating. It acts as a deterrent.

From experience in Pattaya, when you're on a pub crawl you're always walking on eggshells. Just like at immigration I smile and try to be nice to people even if they're annoying me. When you've had a few it isn't an easy thing to appear reasonable, especially in the early hours.

No excuse for people beating you up but that's the way it is here.

I assure it is not a deterrent. Instead, it projects Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular as a very violent and unfriendly country. As the bar owner stated earlier, I have also seen it both ways. People who try and avoid paying their bill and staff padding the bill. In both instances- rather than a confrontation- the police need to be called. When the police are not called- it means the bar has something to hide. Unfortunately Pattaya has steadily gone downhill. Much of the blame centers on the type of 'tourist' that now comes.Some of them are the dregs of society and completely untrustworthy.In addition, the Thais have grown tired of drunken foreigners. As business continues to decline- things will only get worse. Pattaya is way over built- too many bars and not enough customers. A well run, honest bar that has Western Management and has no reason to fear police scrutiny can still survive- but they won't be getting rich. If I was in the business- I would get out as quick as possible. The glory days are gone and they won't be back.

So you think the bar workers are telling the truth the tourist didn't want to pay his bill? Maybe what happened is the bar overcharged him. Should not jump to conclusions. Not paying a bar bill in any country will land you in trouble.

Dept collection a la Thai.

In civilized countries the bilk is hold on until police arrives.

Here the bilk is bloody beaten and then wait for police.

If the foreigner didn't start the violence then there is NO excuse for such behavior.

Close the drinking hole and sent the scumbags to sugar cane harvest.

Helping hands are needed.

thumbsup.gif

Of course you are 100% sure the bill was not "padded" And of course YOU would pay this "padded" bill because the system is so much better here than other countries.

Seems to be a common excuse for a violent attack on tourists.

Pay when served ... problem solved.

I couldnt agree more.

Although, a few years back I was "paying when served'.

I was then presented with someone else`s bar bill by a very angry little bar lady.

Luckily, the girl dancing on the bar right in front of me, vouched for me.

She told them that I had only been there for a short time and only had one drink in that time.

I assure it is not a deterrent. Instead, it projects Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular as a very violent and unfriendly country. As the bar owner stated earlier, I have also seen it both ways. People who try and avoid paying their bill and staff padding the bill. In both instances- rather than a confrontation- the police need to be called. When the police are not called- it means the bar has something to hide. Unfortunately Pattaya has steadily gone downhill. Much of the blame centers on the type of 'tourist' that now comes.Some of them are the dregs of society and completely untrustworthy.In addition, the Thais have grown tired of drunken foreigners. As business continues to decline- things will only get worse. Pattaya is way over built- too many bars and not enough customers. A well run, honest bar that has Western Management and has no reason to fear police scrutiny can still survive- but they won't be getting rich. If I was in the business- I would get out as quick as possible. The glory days are gone and they won't be back.

Just for the record i am not the bar owner and i have no idea what bar it happened in.

Why should the Thai who made the citizens arrest of a fleeing, drunken, foreign thief be fined?

And to those who will be claiming the "another final nail in the Thai tourism industry" I reckon that this Pattaya Soi 7 punter WILL be back and won't be put off from returning to Thailand. He will have second thoughts about doing a bill runner next time though.

And even if he doesn't ever return, I don't think any Thais will miss him anyway.

You're assuming he was not being scammed by padding the bill? Not unknown. The Thais may not miss him and he will not miss them either. Or any of his associates or anyone else he can tell his story to.

The definitive truth seems a little cloudy at this time and may never be known. So, back to the bar with your "exemplary" Thai persons eh? coffee1.gif

Dept collection a la Thai.

In civilized countries the bilk is hold on until police arrives.

Here the bilk is bloody beaten and then wait for police.

If the foreigner didn't start the violence then there is NO excuse for such behavior.

Close the drinking hole and sent the scumbags to sugar cane harvest.

Helping hands are needed.

thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gifsmile.png

Loading up bar bins happens quite a lot, usually as the punter gets more driunk the more the temptation to top up the tab. At the same time the tourist barfly may well try to weasle out of his bill one way or another. In the great scheme of things most people know that Thailand has more than it's fair share of scammers and many scumbag tourists. Maybe they deserve each other.

I stand corrected. I also have no idea where it happened. My problem with bars in general in both Pattaya and Bangkok that cater to 'tourists' is that they are generally overpriced and the staff unfriendly or simply indifferent. Sitting around looking at a smart phone; not engaging with the customers and having s surly attitude when spoken to just won't get it . People are voting with their feet. There are still some decent Pubs/Bars around but they are getting fewer and fewer. In 3 years time- Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza will be gone and Pattaya will have for sale signs/closures that are visible. Just not sustainable- too many other choices in the World that are simply cheaper and more fun.

Kick butt first, then ask questions later.... Always a good idea.... Duh!

Some posters complain about the amount of speculation and assumptions, but with scant information, this forum cannot help speculating

So..... Speculating... Maybe he was too drunk and forgot to pay....,or maybe He was aware of having extra chits assigned to him, and only made a part payment..... And who's to say that the staff didn't simply make up the story before the BIB arrived, to cover their ass.... We need the victims story to understand the situation (as usual)

IMHO, bouncers should be licensed to bounce... And if they beat up patron for whatever reason, the license could be suspended or revoked (obviously the bar owner would need to see the license, and regularly, to ensure that it hasn't been revoked). A system like this might force them to behave better... Or it could make them unemployable... Either way, a good result

Citizens arrest?

What planet are you on coffee1.gif