Trip for non-imm "O" visa, Vientien or Savannakhet?

Hello guys,

My friend planning to travel to Laos for applying non-imm "O" visa,

As I have head in this forum there are two places to apply for visa in Laos,

he never been in Laos, any advise regarding this? which place is easier to apply?

and neared to Thailand from the border?

Upon what basis would he be applying? Does he want a single or multiple entry visa?

Answers to the those questions would allow me to tell whether the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet would be the best place to go.

Both a across the Mekong river from here so not far for either one.

I don't know which is the better place to go for a certain kind of visa, but I personally think that Savannakhet is a much nicer place. It is a small town. The consulate is busy on Mondays and Tuesdays, but virtually deserted on Wed. - Fri. You can just walk straight up to the counter and hand in your stuff.

• Like 1

Upon what basis would he be applying? Does he want a single or multiple entry visa?

Answers to the those questions would allow me to tell whether the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet would be the best place to go.

He wants to apply for single "O" visa,

as well for spending few days in the city,

he never been to there before, so any recommendation, some idea about hotel prices or recommended places to stay, to visit, to eat will be highly appreciated, many thanks in advance

he never been to there before, so any recommendation, some idea about hotel prices or recommended places to stay, to visit, to eat will be highly appreciated, many thanks in advance

"O" visas are issued for very specific reasons !

What is your friends reason for applying for the visa and is he sure he qualify's for the visa.?

"O" visas are issued for very specific reasons !

What is your friends reason for applying for the visa and is he sure he qualify's for the visa.?

We know, this type of visa for someone married with a Thai lady ,,

he is a father of 3 Thai born kids,,

Savanket is easy. Nice place to stay is Mekong restaurant. Rooms aren't great but livable. Food is really good and friendly staff. Nice atmosphere over looking Mekong few nice cold beers. Last I was there seen a car advertising fishing trips. Next trip I'm going to try. Its an old blokes who sits at the bar each day wife who runs it. Rooms 300 THB

I like to stay in a hotel at this place (16.575608, 104.748089). Sorry, I don't remember the name. It is about 2 km from the Thai consulate, 300 m from the main bus terminal and 100 m from a large market with maybe 200 - 300 stalls selling everything imaginable.

A small problem with this hotel is that they have spent some time and money on upgrading the place since I came there the first place. It is now quite nice, but they want 450 bath/night which is expensive considering prices in Laos. Also, there is no hotel restaurant or bar or room service. It is understood that you must to go to the nearby market to get what you need.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

I would like to know if i'm going to the consulate in Savannakhet if i can get a visa non-O for 90 days or a extension of stay for 1 year/visa multi entry.

I have married with a thai since few years but i don't want to start the process in Thailand or in my own country.

Hello guys,

I would like to know if i'm going to the consulate in Savannakhet if i can get a visa non-O for 90 days or a extension of stay for 1 year/visa multi entry.

I have married with a thai since few years but i don't want to start the process in Thailand or in my own country.

Extensions of stay can only be applied for at a Thai immigration office in Thailand.

With correct documentation single and multiple entry "O" visas based on marriage can be got from Savannakhet without the need to show finances.

Edited by sunnyjim5

You CANNOT get an extension of stay in Savannakhet !

You can apply for a visa. There is no requirement for you to have previously had an "O" visa based on marriage

Thanks for the quick reply !

If i went to Savannakhet , i will get the 1 year extension of stay or the visa non-o multi entry without ever having a visa non-o 90 days ?

the single entry is not a extension of stay of 1 year with the requirement to go immigration every 90 days ?

and the multi entry a visa with the requirement to leave the country every 90 days ?

The both are available for 1 year, is it correct ?

the single entry is not a extension of stay of 1 year with the requirement to go immigration every 90 days ?

and the multi entry a visa with the requirement to leave the country every 90 days ?

With as single entry non-o visa you could go to an immigration office during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it and apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. You would then do reports of staying longer than 90 day to immigration.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You would have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

With as single entry non-o visa you could go to an immigration office during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it and apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. You would then do reports of staying longer than 90 day to immigration.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You would have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

So if i'm going to Savannakhet i have 2 options :

- single entry non-o visa for 90 days then i have to go the immigration in thailand if i want to get extension of 1 year

- multi entry non-o visa for 90 days then i have to leave thailand every 90 days during 1 year (3 times)

Is it correct ?

If i have a multi entry non-o visa, is it possible to report at the immigration if i don't want to leave the country after 90 days ?

thanks for your advice

Option 1-- correct

Option 2 -- correct.

With a multi entry visa there is no option other than to leave every 90 days unless an extension of stay is applied for during a 90 day entry. The financial requirements mentioned in post 18 would have to be met before an extension would be issued.

- single entry non-o visa for 90 days then i have to go the immigration in thailand if i want to get extension of 1 year

- multi entry non-o visa for 90 days then i have to leave thailand every 90 days during 1 year (3 times)

Is it correct ?

If i have a multi entry non-o visa, is it possible to report at the immigration if i don't want to leave the country after 90 days ?

thanks for your advice

You need to make to get a new entry every 90 days. You can do one just before the enter before that will be on the visa and get a new 90 day entry.

You have to leave every 90 days. There is no reporting you can do at immigration to get around that.

Thanks for the explanations,

With this multi entry visa non-o can i have a certificat of residence or the yellow book to get the thai licence(car) ?

Yellow Book -------------Make inquiry at your local Amphur

Cert of residence. -----------Ask at your local immigration office or get one from your Embassy.

Is it correct ?

thanks for your advice

You need to make to get a new entry every 90 days. You can do one just before the enter before that will be on the visa and get a new 90 day entry.

You have to leave every 90 days. There is no reporting you can do at immigration to get around that.

Ubonjoe,

Aren't these extendable at immigration for an additional 60 days @ 1900 baht?

Kurt

Savanket is easy. Nice place to stay is Mekong restaurant. Rooms aren't great but livable. Food is really good and friendly staff. Nice atmosphere over looking Mekong few nice cold beers. Last I was there seen a car advertising fishing trips. Next trip I'm going to try. Its an old blokes who sits at the bar each day wife who runs it. Rooms 300 THB

Food is really good and friendly staff. Very true, but I was looking for a place to get a good Western meal.

Just after 2pm. I saw this restaurant and coffee shop, quite near the Consulate on the other side of the road.

I decided to come back around 5pm for a meal, the place was closing, yes that's right around 5pm.

I like to stay in a hotel at this place (16.575608, 104.748089). Sorry, I don't remember the name. It is about 2 km from the Thai consulate, 300 m from the main bus terminal and 100 m from a large market with maybe 200 - 300 stalls selling everything imaginable.

A small problem with this hotel is that they have spent some time and money on upgrading the place since I came there the first place. It is now quite nice, but they want 450 bath/night which is expensive considering prices in Laos. Also, there is no hotel restaurant or bar or room service. It is understood that you must to go to the nearby market to get what you need.

Yes. I think that's the hotel I stayed in, I was pleased with it. good AC and fridge, free wifi in lounge, but very slow.

Savannakhet.

Non-o single entry - no problems.

These days - not so sure about multiple entry - they used to issue multiple entry without financial info - but I am not so sure they do that anymore. You need to get recent information from somebody that has actually been there and been issued a multiple entry.

Some people worry about vocabulary. If you want to be fussy, you don't extend your old visa in Savannakhet, you apply for a new visa.

Non-o single entry - you get 90 days at the border when entering Thailand that can be extended for another 60 days inside Thailand. Then you must leave Thailand and start the process all over again.

Savannakhet.

Non-o single entry - no problems.

These days - not so sure about multiple entry - they used to issue multiple entry without financial info - but I am not so sure they do that anymore. You need to get recent information from somebody that has actually been there and been issued a multiple entry.

Some people worry about vocabulary. If you want to be fussy, you don't extend your old visa in Savannakhet, you apply for a new visa.

Non-o single entry - you get 90 days at the border when entering Thailand that can be extended for another 60 days inside Thailand. Then you must leave Thailand and start the process all over again.

No problem to get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet without the need to show financial proof. There have been several recent reports of people getting them.

Savannakhet.

Thanks for this information !!