Say No to Taxi Passengers, Lose License 30 Days, Prayuth Proposes

rooster59

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people ask through a window like that? Obviously inexperienced naive people and show it by acting the idiot like that.

Open the door and get in, slam the door closed, and say "trung bai" to go straight ahead. If you are at Asoke and want to go to Thong Lo you can say, "Trung bai, same-same Bangna" then when you get to Thong Lo you can "leo sai" and voila. Hardly rocket science.

taxi scum .... if they don't want passengers then they shouldn't be driving taxis. bah.gif

The question is, why would anybody want to get in a car with a driver that doesn't want to take you? If you don't know how to avoid this then it is on you, not the driver. And why would you complain when it is so easy to grab another one since there are way too many taxis in Bangkok in the first place?

Isnt it kind of pointless falangs in thread saying they never have trouble getting taxis in thailand?

No. If people are going to make silly statements like its impossible to get a taxi easily on Sukhumvit, then others are going to point out that this isn't really the case.

the only way it would work is for them to lock up the car for 30 days. and it makes sense. license is printed on the car too. so nobody should be using that car for 30 days.

They can do it, they proved it over new years. but will they??

As many have pointed out..... there will be a shortage of taxi during the first months...... but after they all will just say "kap" when you say your destination..... (dream on)

coffee1.gif

There's always the nuclear option:

Allow the price to rise where all trips are appealing to the drivers, then come down like a hammer on the drivers who still abuse the system.

Personally, I like the Seoul model where there are several classes of service, which is an incentive to drivers to upgrade from their clapped out junkers to get a higher price for offering a better service. And there are always some clapped out beaters remaining for the "price sensitive" clientele.

I don't see how it's fair that a guy with a new van type taxi that holds 5 people plus lots of luggage gets the same fare as a guy with an old CNG thrasher that barely holds 2 passengers and only has room for a couple of large purses in the trunk.

Whenever I need a Taxi I instead use UBER.

This week on Sukhumvit 20 I flagged down a passing taxi and got in. He drove 50m pulled over and told me to get out, he'd decided the traffic at the destination in Thonglor was too busy.

This was the First time I'd tried to use a regular taxi in two weeks - a poor but representative experience reenforcing my resolve to continue relying on UBER.

I took a photo of the plate and used the DLT Check-In app to report the driver. I expect nothing will be done.

You can never get a taxi in Sukhmvit easily. You need to try several before the driver condescends to take you. I usually if I am going out of the city get the BTS as far as possible then get a taxi. Never have any problem then. Taxi's down Sukhumvit obviously get too much money if they can say no to a fare

I get taxis easily in Sukhumvit every day.

There is always one champion who defends everything Thai when everyone knows they are talking out of their back end. You are an embarrassment. To yourself.

the only way it would work is for them to lock up the car for 30 days. and it makes sense. license is printed on the car too. so nobody should be using that car for 30 days.

They can do it, they proved it over new years. but will they??

As many have pointed out..... there will be a shortage of taxi during the first months...... but after they all will just say "kap" when you say your destination..... (dream on)

coffee1.gif

Impound the taxi for 30 days. That would help. Sadly Taxis have progressively gotten worse and in the last 5 years they are dire. 15 years ago I never ever once was refused a taxi now. It is hit and miss in the tourist areas with 1 in every 5 say yes. In my area of living away from the tourist areas it is 1 in every 3. They don't even want to go to Tesco a mile away. A massive overhaul is required, if the service is too be improved. Will I see it in my lifetime. I doubt it and I expect to be here, for another 40 years.

One thing I always do if a taxi driver refuses me is 'accidentally' leave the door half open and walk away.

They really hate it, especially if it's a back door that they have to get out of their taxi to close.

Impound the taxi for 30 days. That would help. Sadly Taxis have progressively gotten worse and in the last 5 years they are dire. 15 years ago I never ever once was refused a taxi now. It is hit and miss in the tourist areas with 1 in every 5 say yes. In my area of living away from the tourist areas it is 1 in every 3. They don't even want to go to Tesco a mile away. A massive overhaul is required, if the service is too be improved. Will I see it in my lifetime. I doubt it and I expect to be here, for another 40 years.

What did a Chang, or a kg of beef, or a kg of shrimp cost 15 years ago compared to what one costs today? What's the same cost ratio for a taxi ride?

In the 5 years I've been here, I don't recall the fares going up at all (but I have a crappy memory). I'd expect the service to keep degrading right in line with the way they're getting further and further behind on the bills they can pay with the fares they can collect.

There will be a shortage of taxis for 30 days when, or if, this gets introduced !

Are you serious. They will just drive with a suspended license. What needs to be done is a) fine the driver, something hefty, not a slap on the wrist fine, and b.) fine the cab company, something very hefty.

Hit them in the pocketbook, and hit them hard. That will get their attention, especially if the company gets fined too.

Allow customers to file complaints directly with the Dept of Land Transportation via a smartphone app (both English and Thai language).

Remove the front license plate from the taxi of the errant taxi driver and retain it for 30 days, after which the car can go back on the road.

Don't worry about the owner loosing the rental fee for the 30 days, it'll very soon police itself and they the owners or taxi cooperatives will either met out their own fines to the errant drivers, or face prosecution for their car being on the road without a front license plate. Important to ensure the law has a provision for fining anyone driving a 4 wheeled vehicle without a front license plate, actually this law can be specific for taxi's. The fine needs to be at a minimum equal to 30 days rental of a taxi.

Anyone claiming that they just lost their plate or had an accident should be required to produce either a copy of the police report or an insurance company report for the accident to have recently taken place.

You can never get a taxi in Sukhmvit easily. You need to try several before the driver condescends to take you. I usually if I am going out of the city get the BTS as far as possible then get a taxi. Never have any problem then. Taxi's down Sukhumvit obviously get too much money if they can say no to a fare

There is always one champion who defends everything Thai when everyone knows they are talking out of their back end. You are an embarrassment. To yourself.

I get taxis regularly on Sukhumvit with no issue. Seems like they can see you coming a mile off. Either that or the other half must have run off with a taxi driver to explain such vitriol, you sound more aggro than the typical cabbie, no wonder you always have issues.

Has no effect on me in the least. I live in Chiang Mai, have a car, a PCX 150, Forza 300cc, and CB300f.

Taxi? cheesy.gif

But, I do feel sorta bad for those in BKK who do need them. whistling.gif

Oh is this another one of those for Bangkok only rules. Figures. I guess Mr. P will eventually get down to the more important issues facing the country one of these days. He has after all had almost 2 years to warm up and pitch a winning game. He has already covered the importance of more military hardware in spades, the lottery dilemma and the beach problems. To make his job easier maybe they should mark all the "serious" problems down on slips of paper and throw them into a hat and have a weekly drawing. It could be televised and have a gorgeous lady make the drawing. Drum roll please.

There will be a shortage of taxis for 30 days when, or if, this gets introduced !

A shortage of taxi's will only mean less traffic. There are FAR too many taxi's on the streets of Bkk (mostly on the sides of the streets waiting to rip off unsuspecting tourists).

Any steps they take to reign in these useless taxi drivers makes me happy, but will be useless without enforcement, a proper complaint line in English and fines along with these 30 day penalties as many suspended drivers will likely keep driving while suspended anyway.

If they are serious about tackling this issue then they should start by getting ALL of the taxi's of the sides of the roads. This will take a lot of money away from the BIB though as they are the ones that get paid to allow this to happen. But it will immediately show that action is being taken.

Hope springs eternal. Won't hold my breath

I get taxis regularly on Sukhumvit with no issue. Seems like they can see you coming a mile off. Either that or the other half must have run off with a taxi driver to explain such vitriol, you sound more aggro than the typical cabbie, no wonder you always have issues.

In fairness, I suspect most complaints are from people who "hail" stationary taxis. Those are the ones that sit in front of tourist hotels waiting for fresh-off-the-plane meat, and aren't going to be satisfied with a normal fare because of the graft they're paying for their prime ambush spot.

I rarely have a problem when hailing moving taxis, even on Sukhumvit.

So you complain endlessly about the taxi drivers, and when a step is proposed to deal with issue, you complain about that too?

Headline should read 'Miserable farangs impossible to please'.

Of course, didn't you know that the whole point of Bangkok Taxi Drivers is to give us Farangs something to moan about.

That's why there are so many of them (Taxi drivers that is).

Just yesterday at 12 noon, front door Novotel Bangna, 100m off Srinakarin, Needed taxi to DMK, first two drivers refused the ride, went toll road, 345B on the meter + 120 toll. Gave 400. I know could have given 350 but rewarding good drivers....

Day before had a few rides near hotel, cost between 50 and 70. Seems they don't like to earn 300/400 a ride, business as usual.

In Sukumvit area very hard to get a taxi mostly prefer going to airport or farang.

Nonsense, usually no difficulty at all in getting one of the thousands of taxis around that area.

How would you know that "most prefer going to airport", do you ask them? Ridiculous comment.

You're not the only one. Most of those who complain probably get one easily also but get rejected by one or two and they're banging away indignantly on the keyboard.

So you complain endlessly about the taxi drivers, and when a step is proposed to deal with issue, you complain about that too?

Headline should read 'Miserable farangs impossible to please'.

No. It's called people with common sense seeing through a crap idea in 5 seconds. The problem is that it will fail to deal with the issue. Stop defending them.

How do you know that it will fail to deal with the issue, do you have a crystal ball?

Stop attacking them as a whole needlessly.

No, he's not. The embarrassments are people who make comments such as yours.

Archived