Disrobed Phuket monk busted for gathering alms

rooster59

Disrobed Phuket monk busted for gathering alms

Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-247607-0-64963000-1457830553_thumb.

Somsak Donlakorn, 54 was disrobed in December last year for inappropriate behavior. Photo: Phuket City Police

PHUKET: Police arrested a disrobed monk for donning sacred attire and collecting alms in Phuket yesterday morning.

Police were alerted to Somsak Donlakorn, 54, by local abbot Phra Kru Mettapirom.

“By the time we arrived, Mr Somsak had already collected 4,200 baht,” explained Lt Preechaphat Sangnoi of the Phuket City Police. “We asked to see his monkhood registration, but he was unable to provide it.”

Mr Somsak was taken to Wat Mongkhon Nimit to be questioned by the abbot.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Disrobed-Phuket-monk-busted-gathering-alms/63409?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-13

Police were alerted to Somsak Donlakorn, 54, by local abbot Phra Kru Mettapirom. “By the time we arrived, Mr Somsak had already collected 4,200 baht,”

Keeping down the competition.

Disrobed maybe,but they forgot to take the robes off him,

he had collected 4.200 THB,just shows how much money

these Temples can make.

regards Worgeordie

I wonder how many crooks like him walk around in Thailand and make good money on the Thai people.

"Begging monks" seems to be the best career in Thailand.

A few years ago, I was at Mochit bus station.

Beside me, there were 4 young guys who wanted also to take the bus.

Each of them had a gift to the monks (a robe).

They went to the toilet and a few minutes later came back as monks.

Collected a free ticket and got the VIP service all the way.

Big business

Disrobed maybe,but they forgot to take the robes off him,

he had collected 4.200 THB,just shows how much money

these Temples can make.

regards Worgeordie

I wonder how many crooks like him walk around in Thailand and make good money on the Thai people.

"Begging monks" seems to be the best career in Thailand.

A few years ago, I was at Mochit bus station.

Beside me, there were 4 young guys who wanted also to take the bus.

Each of them had a gift to the monks (a robe).

They went to the toilet and a few minutes later came back as monks.

Collected a free ticket and got the VIP service all the way.

Big business

They shaved their head in the toilet? rolleyes.gif

Hmmm, so it appears that disrobing a monk, moving corrupt police to inactive posts, sentencing murderers, terrorists and other criminals to jail time then suspending their sentences, is not an effective deterrent to crime???

Maybe Thailand should go out on a limb and try punishing their criminals instead of just wasting court time prosecuting and convicting without following up with any jail time.

I was a monk for 7 years in Lopburi province. When we went on alms rounds, we had a civilian with us. When money was donated, it was given to the civilian. 20 baht was the normal donation. All the money donated went to the temple to help pay for electricity and other expenses. I must have been in the wrong temple. Never had 4200 baht donated to me at any time. Maybe 80 to 100 baht donation to 3 monks on any good day. coffee1.gif And yes, we all had monk registration cards. They are yellow and look like a bank passbook. With your name, photo and the temple where you live on them.

I was a monk for 7 years in Lopburi province. When we went on alms rounds, we had a civilian with us. When money was donated, it was given to the civilian. 20 baht was the normal donation. All the money donated went to the temple to help pay for electricity and other expenses. I must have been in the wrong temple. Never had 4200 baht donated to me at any time. Maybe 80 to 100 baht donation to 3 monks on any good day. coffee1.gif And yes, we all had monk registration cards. They are yellow and look like a bank passbook. With your name, photo and the temple where you live on them.

a bit off topic, but;

I appreciate what you're saying,

but do I gather

that in LoS you cant wonder around in orange/yellow robes as a monk without being registered with a book and a temple address?

if so I feel sorry for the monkhood in LoS if you cannot be a proper monk without a temple affiliation and a monk-card

a bit off topic, but;

but do I gather

that in LoS you cant wonder around in orange/yellow robes as a monk without being registered with a book and a temple address?

if so I feel sorry for the monkhood in LoS if you cannot be a proper monk without a temple affiliation and a monk-card

Every monk is registered in their local province, monks with over 30 days in the robes has a registration book, although some monks don't carry it with them always. But they have one. They usually carry it in their little cloth bags they carry.

a bit off topic, but;

but do I gather

Every monk is registered in their local province, monks with over 30 days in the robes has a registration book, although some monks don't carry it with them always. But they have one. They usually carry it in their little cloth bags they carry.

The pink ones?

What about your visa at the time ?

a bit off topic, but;

but do I gather

The pink ones?

Ha ha ha ha ... yes, pink, blue, green, orange, yellow, red.

What about your visa at the time ?

Edited by khaowong1

I did not know that monks had to be registered and carry the registration with them, that explains why beggars are to be licenced as well , after all said and done monks and beggars are both in the same line of work. coffee1.gif

Terrorists, Monks and now beggars, so many reasons for a "cashless society" laugh.png