Importing caravans or motorhomes

Benji

Good morning everyone.

I have a quick question, I hope someone here can help me.

I would like to know the costs to import a caravan (towable/trailer type) from the UK to Thailand.

Does anyone know about this or where I can find more information, I have been searching the internet for weeks but can only find info on importing vehicles (engine driven) with the huge taxes they involve.

So...

What are the import duties to import caravan/trailer into Thailand and are there any restrictions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cheers for your reply.

I have seen quite a few over here and most seem to be from the UK (The entry door is on the left hand side as the UK also drive on the left).

I know the shipping will cost quite a lot but what I am more interested in is the taxes and duties that will be payable once landed in Thailand.

Does anyone have information on the applicable taxes and duties?

Thanks in advance.

I can imagine like most other imported items such as cars,motorbikes etc you will be subjected to hefty taxation,I can't comment on precise numbers but the amount of paperwork and other hoops you will have to jump through to get a caravan road legal here will in its self be a nightmare also.

Incidentally it's obviously not impossible as I have seen a large number of caravans up here in the mountains of Khao Khor although they sit statically.

Just last week I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an old American airstream,fantastic piece of kit which has so much charm and character.

post-118612-14393448494177_thumb.jpg

Edited by stoneyboy

Thanks for the info.

I love the look of the Airstreams but unfortunately they are also Very Expensive (+ as they are from the US the door is on the wrong side).

I guess I'll just keep looking around and hopefully find something or someone who has done this before can chime in.

It must be possible because I have also seen a lot of UK caravans here and a few European mobile homes but I suspect the latter were on a temperary import with older Europeans travelling the World.

Cheers.

Edited by Benji

the door is on the wrong side)..

Right or wrong side is only theoretically in Thailand. Vehicles will pass you on both sides, even if you are parked on the 'hard shoulder' some moped will find a way through between you and the tree.

You may check this link:

https://www.facebook.com/CaravansClubThailand

Last year I I saw a TV reportage from a Thai / German couple in Chonburi which imported Caranvans to Thailand.

The price was somewhat higher, but not 200-300%. Something around +20-25%...

Not everything which is imported is subjected to huge taxes, but a lot people in Thailand believe it. When it comes to cars or motorcycles it is correct,

on the other hand I would not be too keen of importing a caravan into Thailand, as the local Customs can be a PITA if they smell inexperience.

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/th/main_frame.jsp

Search for tariff code 871610000 ( Trailers and semi-trailers of the caravan type, for housing or camping )

I know and have seen caravans that have been imported here in Surin Issan.....they even had the UK second hand price ticket on th windows.

They were also post fitted with A.C. units.. I know the man that imported them, and he made a good profit on resale here..

I know and have seen caravans that have been imported here in Surin Issan.....they even had the UK second hand price ticket on th windows.

They were also post fitted with A.C. units.. I know the man that imported them, and he made a good profit on resale here..

That sound good, if you know him maybe you could ask him the import costs per caravan ;)

Cheers

You may check this link:

https://www.facebook.com/CaravansClubThailand

Last year I I saw a TV reportage from a Thai / German couple in Chonburi which imported Caranvans to Thailand.

The price was somewhat higher, but not 200-300%. Something around +20-25%...

Not everything which is imported is subjected to huge taxes, but a lot people in Thailand believe it. When it comes to cars or motorcycles it is correct,

on the other hand I would not be too keen of importing a caravan into Thailand, as the local Customs can be a PITA if they smell inexperience.

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/th/main_frame.jsp

Search for tariff code 871610000 ( Trailers and semi-trailers of the caravan type, for housing or camping )

Thanks for that, I'll have a look there now.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of importing a second hand caravan or motorhome into Thailand. I've read that the import tax is 40% on caravans but that this drops to 30% if the caravan is "vintage". Does anyone know what "vintage" means in Thailand re: import tax? In the UK second hand caravans can be picked up quite cheaply so even with the import tax it would be cheaper than buying one here in Thailand. However, I was wondering how Customs evaluate the "cost" of the caravan. Do they just accept your invoice as proof of value or do they have some other method? What happens if you don't buy it at all? Say, for example, you inherit a caravan. What happens when you import it? I understand that a caravan must be registered in Thailand when it arrives. Does anyone have any experience of this process? Is it straightforward?

To be honest I'd much rather have a motorhome than a caravan but the price for a new one, built by CarryBoy, is about 1.8m, here in Thailand. Second hand ones rarely come on the market so I was considering importing a second hand motorhome, maybe from Japan. So the problem of import tax raises it's head once more! Does the rate of import tax vary depending on the age of the vehicle? Does anyone have any experience of going through this process?

There was a news article a week or so ago (on tv) claiming that these may be illegal in Thailand ??

Was that about banning Chinese motorhomes driving into Thailand? Motorhomes/caravans can't be illegal in Thailand as they make and sell them here. For example Caryrboy.

Why would anyone want to stay in a caravan/campervan here when accommodation is so easily found at reasonable prices?blink.png

Staying in hotels with a family is no longer as cheap in Thailand as it used to be. But the real reason for "camping" is the sense of freedom, go anywhere, stay anywhere. It's more a lifestyle than a cost thing. Many years ago I had a series 3 ex army ambulance that I converted into a very simple motorhome. It wasn't luxurious but some of the camp sites I found were breath taking. I think it's that sense of adventure that hotel rooms lack. It's definitely not for everybody.

I thought about bringing one across a few years back.....But with hotel costs so cheap and available.....Thai roads very unfriendly in angles both climbing and turns, lack of decent choice of tow vehicles versus terrain, no infastructure - parks, hook ups, dump stations.....Lack of service facilities & parts and RV trained techs....Lack of secured storage facilities + they are easy to break into when unattended pretty much told me it would not be a very good idea....

Even having an RV in the states dictates wide open spaces for parking - fueling - turning - resting - shopping - it would be futile here.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I thought about bringing one across a few years back.....But with hotel costs so cheap and available.....Thai roads very unfriendly in angles both climbing and turns, lack of decent choice of tow vehicles versus terrain, no infastructure - parks, hook ups, dump stations.....Lack of service facilities & parts and RV trained techs....Lack of secured storage facilities + they are easy to break into when unattended pretty much told me it would not be a very good idea....

Even having an RV in the states dictates wide open spaces for parking - fueling - turning - resting - shopping - it would be futile here.....

A small motorhome would definitely be the way forward in Thailand but they are very expensive new and even more expensive to import. Hence, a caravan seems to be the cheapest, cost effective way forward for the intrepid campers. I know what you mean about the roads and I'm not sure how it'll all work out but I'm edging towards giving it a go. I'll let you know how I get on. Thailand is slowing moving forward re: caravanning/motorhoming . I am told that about 6 national parks now have EHU.

22 foot Airstream with AC & generator would be a good combo for here....

Parts are difficult even in the states so here would be a real challenge.....

I had an International I used to leave on a lake in the Sierras for summer use - they are built like a tank.....Fear the cheaply built ones would disintegrate quickly here.....

Either looks like a website only or poor product choice for here....

The 16 would work for two people if you're not stuck in there for long periods of time.....But that thing would bounce all over the road even with a load levelling hitch....

That's the reason I don't think the flat sided ones would be a good choice here.....On an RV with a truck chassis the sheet metal ones would stand a better chance - two suspension/impact areas....