Lap Top Charging Problem, Battery?

sungod

Gents,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A30, about 3 years old now. I have problems with the recharging but not convinced if it is a battery problem. If I am using my lap top on battery alone, and then plug in my lead to the mains, it will not recharge. I just get a battery light come on and off at intervals.. However, if I turn it off, then plug in the lead it recharges to its full capacity whether I turn the computer on or leave it off, and then I can use my computer on battery for around 2 hours(normal batt life for me)

This is where it becomes spooky. I may be using my lap top with the mains plugged in and the battery fully charged when all of a sudden the battery light goes out, the mains light remains on and the battery discharges over its normal course until the computer is out of power. I then have to unplug my lead (with the computer off) replug it in and everything is back to normal recharging again. Also the computer works fine without the battery in.

I have tried to explain it as simple as I can, and i welcome any suggestions, thanks in advance.

It does sound like a PSU / charging module problem, time to visit the repair man, good luck explaining the problem :o:)

BUT

It is just possible that you are suffering from low mains voltage. Where are you located? Do you have a meter you can use to check you mains supply?

It does sound like a PSU / charging module problem, time to visit the repair man, good luck explaining the problem :o:)

BUT

It is just possible that you are suffering from low mains voltage. Where are you located? Do you have a meter you can use to check you mains supply?

Cheers for the replies fellas, At present I am in Pakistan, the problem arises if i am in the hotel or at work, I first noted the problem also when I was in my condo in Thailand.

Forgot to add that it seems I have a loose connection with my power lead but i don't think this is the problem as when i turn off and start again all is ok,

any more suggestion gents???

sungod - The first thing I would look at are the pins on the computer motherboard, where the mains adapter plugs into your laptop.

Constant insertion and removal of the mains adapter plug can cause a solder joint on one of the pins to loosen or the printed circuit board track to develop a "hair line" crack. Either condition will cause the intermittent operation you describe. This condition is quite common in most electronics, where power plugs, earphones, microphones, etc. are constantly plugged in and removed.

A fast and easy repair for any qualified technician.

waldwolf

Dear sungod,

How are you?

Not good news, I think.

I had a similar problem with my HP Pavillion laptop. As it was under guarantee I took it back to them and they replaced the mother board.

Every so often the laptop would appear to be running on mains power but in fact it would be losing charge. I don’t know why this would start to occur, but the power light would go off even though the mains lead was still plugged in. However the indicator in the task bar would say that the laptop was running on mains power, but it would be losing charge. Even though the lead was in place the laptop was not charging. It would run down until it would tell me to switch off. I would turn off rather than restart, and it would automatically recharge when you start again.

I have no idea of the cause but replacing the mother board solved the problem.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Gents,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A30, about 3 years old now. I have problems with the recharging but not convinced if it is a battery problem. If I am using my lap top on battery alone, and then plug in my lead to the mains, it will not recharge. I just get a battery light come on and off at intervals.. However, if I turn it off, then plug in the lead it recharges to its full capacity whether I turn the computer on or leave it off, and then I can use my computer on battery for around 2 hours(normal batt life for me)

This is where it becomes spooky. I may be using my lap top with the mains plugged in and the battery fully charged when all of a sudden the battery light goes out, the mains light remains on and the battery discharges over its normal course until the computer is out of power. I then have to unplug my lead (with the computer off) replug it in and everything is back to normal recharging again. Also the computer works fine without the battery in.

I have tried to explain it as simple as I can, and i welcome any suggestions, thanks in advance.

I had the same problem I bought my same model in the UK early 2004 before I came here to Thailand, it stopped charging I could not find a new or similar adapter anywhere in Thailand, Siracha Surin BKK pattaya. a shop in Surin quoted 5000 bht. My mate found me one on Ebay in all it cost me $50 with Insurance it was here in 5 days from the States. Whilst I had this problem and with searching for adaptor I bought a new Desk top computer so now I got lap top as well now working.

macb

I have an apple g4 ibook which is barely a year old. it's battery and a spare I have (from my previous slightly older ibook) used to recharge to give 2-4 hours of connexion-free use in europe. From the moment I began rechargeing in Thaialnd the recharged battery time plunged to barely 2 hours and is now steadily dropping even below that - on both batteries.

Can this be a hugely co-incidental natural ageing simultaneously of both batteries? This would be established if other ibook owners would vouch for having no such problems? In that case I'll just buy a new battery, but am loath to do so if it if will take on the same problem very quickly.

Haven't yet been to the apple shop - thought it would be useful to have independent comments too.

Thanks fellas,

I suppose the first thing to do when I get back ( in Pakistan at the moment and not letting anyone go near it here) is to check the power supply, failing that I might tend to agree with Waldwolf, it is a little loose back there.

If any of the boys from pattaya are reading this, could you recommend a good repair shop in town as my last man has disappeared from the face of the earth.

Thanks fellas,

I suppose the first thing to do when I get back ( in Pakistan at the moment and not letting anyone go near it here) is to check the power supply, failing that I might tend to agree with Waldwolf, it is a little loose back there.

If any of the boys from pattaya are reading this, could you recommend a good repair shop in town as my last man has disappeared from the face of the earth.

Hi

You could try Nalon at DCO, located on Pattaya Klang, just up a bit past Carrefour, on the left heading towards Sukhumvit. I have found him to be reliable, knows his stuff and speaks pretty good English.

Tel. 038 360 350 (land line) or 0817817612 (mobile)

DM

Toshiba Thailand provide excellent service and repair options for Toshiba machines. I suggest contacting them and they will quickly be able to diagnose and repair the issue with your notebook. This will end any speculation as to what might be wrong with it. While Toshiba does charge more than your local computer repair shop, they do provide expert diagnosis and resolution. If I was in your position, I would not hesitate to contact them.

Thanks Astral, you've cheered me up no end. I'm tending to go with the loose connection at the back theory at the moment(or today anyway), seems to be working fine now I've shoved a packet of marlboro under the power cord to hold it in place !!! Still doesn't explain the other things though.