Finding work after university for Thais

malct

My step son has just finished 4 years at university and will be looking for work soon, I have heard that most thai people have to buy a job by offering money to future employer's. Can anyone give any more information on this subject.

What degree/qualification willl the young man have ?

If he graduates with a "professional" qualification he should not experience difficulty in securing employment.

i think you are missing the point the post is about paying for jobs in actual fact the higher education the higher the entrance fee unless of course you are well connected

My step son has just finished 4 years at university and will be looking for work soon, I have heard that most thai people have to buy a job by offering money to future employer's. Can anyone give any more information on this subject.

Total rubbish

But a job!!

Best thing for him is to join military

Man him up & good career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total rubbish

Spot on ,

Most thai graduates, gender irrelevant , with a waste of paper degree , end up in the ,

University of Life , in Pattaya, learn to speak fluent English , make a fortune or two , then walk into a job.

Bttopic , Quality teaching positions for Thai,s comes at a price .

I bought my ex. a teaching position in a Quality school in Udon.

Jungle schools , is for the lower caste thai , and farlang teacher.

Thai culture is sustainable , keep the poor, poor . wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

If he graduates with a "professional" qualification he should not experience difficulty in securing employment.

i think you are missing the point the post is about paying for jobs in actual fact the higher education the higher the entrance fee unless of course you are well connected

I missed no point but do not share your cynical attitude which I very much doubt can be justified with sound fact or evidence.

what I have heard frequently through the years is that teachers often have to buy their jobs

likewise police officers

otherwise I guess that if your stepson has sought after competence he will be attractive

otherwise he will have to fight for a job

pretty similar to what you would see in Europe or/and Americas

If he graduated close to the top of his class employers should be chasing him. Otherwise he might have to pay to get his foot in the door. Rather a sad proposition but the world has changed. When I quit school after grade 10 I had my pick of jobs A,B,C or D. It was a banquet. Now the good jobs are a dog eat dog proposition and only the smartest dog survives. My timing in life was perfect to say the least. P.S. I wish the young fellow good luck its a long road from beginning to end.

Edited by elgordo38

Thank you all for your replys, My Step son is at Ratjabhat uni in ubon and he might stay on for another year in order to become a teacher and he has been studying law.

I understand that the going rate is about 200,000 Baht which is very steep £4K uk money.

I have heard of many tales of this happening, Some people have paid the money, only for the son to be sacked after a certain amount of time and loose the money.

He did 6 months work in Yasothon Amphoe and he enjoyed it their and the bosses was happy with his work, I have told him, If he was that good, he should go and try and get a job there.

Regards money under the table, no wonder Thailand is in the state its in with corruption when they are trying to get money from the young people who are looking for work.

I missed no point but do not share your cynical attitude which I very much doubt can be justified with sound fact or evidence.

Oh, well then perchance you have not lived here for very long, or maybe you have a beautiful pair of rose coloured glasses?

Oh, well then perchance you have not lived here for very long, or maybe you have a beautiful pair of rose coloured glasses?

Perchance you are another with no solid evidence to back up cynical views !

FYI I have lived here for a long time and need no "glasses" of any colour ...................

My Thai wife's Brother who attended KK uni. and qualified with a balinya eck in business studies was asked to pay B 100,000 to become a low grade civil servant. He's now planting veg on the family plot. TIT.

Thank you all for your replys, My Step son is at Ratjabhat uni in ubon and he might stay on for another year in order to become a teacher and he has been studying law.

I understand that the going rate is about 200,000 Baht which is very steep £4K uk money.

I have heard of many tales of this happening, Some people have paid the money, only for the son to be sacked after a certain amount of time and loose the money.

He did 6 months work in Yasothon Amphoe and he enjoyed it their and the bosses was happy with his work, I have told him, If he was that good, he should go and try and get a job there.

Regards money under the table, no wonder Thailand is in the state its in with corruption when they are trying to get money from the young people who are looking for work.

Fair comment and its result is NOT getting the best people for a job. Most Uni's take on ex-pupils when jobs are available and that has the same effect but maybe it's another idea for your S.I.L. To consider?

Don't know much about this, eh, culture to buy into your job.

Assuming you/he will want to buy in, make sure to do some quick math. Going with the 200k figure above, better off to just find a coffee shop or something at min wage and actually earn some money vs some 2 year repayments before you'd even benefit having said job, provided one hasn't been fired beforehand.

Personally, boycott the corruption unless it's unavoidable (like having your visa/stamp/something at stake).

I've heard this too from a recent grad in political science. She said it will cost her 30-50k baht to get a basic government job at a place like the amphur. She's got a 250b/day waitressing job for now instead. If or when she finally gets a position, she said she's excited about the possibility of having long term permanent work and it's worth whatever it costs to get in.

Edited by ubonrthai

My step sons cousin did 4 years at uni and he has now tried 4 times to get into the police with no luck, He now works in a supermarket.

It seems to me like wasted money trying to do the best for children, only to be rejected for the jobs they studied for and a lot of people just dont have the money to buy a job.

Don't know much about this, eh, culture to buy into your job.

Assuming you/he will want to buy in, make sure to do some quick math. Going with the 200k figure above, better off to just find a coffee shop or something at min wage and actually earn some money vs some 2 year repayments before you'd even benefit having said job, provided one hasn't been fired beforehand.

Personally, boycott the corruption unless it's unavoidable (like having your visa/stamp/something at stake).

Nah,

plenty of extra money to be made extorting your pupils for extra tutoring and project work.

PS

Almost all government employment and banks require new staff to buy their jobs.

Sexual favours are the other payment you can use to buy a job.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Nah,

plenty of extra money to be made extorting your pupils for extra tutoring and project work.

See, my level of corruption is so low, I didn't even consider said person to turn around and keep the corruption going. I am pessimistic as hell, but I'm a sucker for sincerity for some odd reason.

My wife had a teaching job in her village. She taught at a small kindergarden,that was government ran.. She got a new boss and the boss informed her if she wanted her job renewed the next year she had to pay the equivalent of 1/2 a years pay, She refused to pay and lost her job.

A friend paid 200,000 to get his son in the army.

Edited by lovelomsak

Government teachers have no problem paying to get the job.They immediately open tutoring classes after school and teach the students that can afford it after class.The regular students learn nothing in the school classroom time. But the teacher gets her/his money back quickly and goes on to earn a lot in a life time.

Ratjahpat universities are known as paper mills. Degrees are not recognised that well. Definitely need connections if that is the graduating university,or be top of class..

Edited by lovelomsak

Rajabhat uni's are the bottom tier uni's.

200,000 is about right to buy a teaching job.

However, there are national tests carried out for teaching positions. If he is at the top of the tests he will get a position without payment.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Well think again then. You have one guy who already posted that he paid for his girlfriend to obtain a teaching job. I was asked to contribute to the family whip round to pay a few 10ks of baht for my sister in law to get a pretty lowly teaching assistant post in one of those jungle schools he so (haughtily) refers to!

Believe it. I've heard plenty of other stories from Thais about money passing hands for many different positions - not just limited to politics, the whole public sector is riddled with it from what I hear

My girlfriend graduated with a degree in bio and she hasnt found a job in a lab...she is working at tesco lotus making 300 bht a day...

She wanted to work in a coffee shop but they kept asking her to put down a deposit of 27,000 bht...as a security against her making mistakes with the register....stealing from the till, or quitting unexpectedly....

makes you wonder if its worthwhile sending children to university, i think we spent 500,000 Baht over 4 years sending my wifes son to uni in the hope that he would get a good job. I believe he has had a interview at Tesco lotus today, But he is talking about staying on at uni for another year to gain extra qualifications to become a teacher.

I spent several years running a scholarship scheme in North Thailand. Many of our students went to universities, and we heard of a good many after their graduation. I cannot remember a single case of one having paid for a job. (Most of my information came from my Thai partner, who has been a close friend for over twenty years, and whom I trust).

What is important is what the University is (i.e. well-known U., private or Government, Rajabhat, or whatever), and what subject is studied.

My girlfriend graduated with a degree in bio and she hasnt found a job in a lab...she is working at tesco lotus making 300 bht a day...

She wanted to work in a coffee shop but they kept asking her to put down a deposit of 27,000 bht...as a security against her making mistakes with the register....stealing from the till, or quitting unexpectedly....

My wifes cousin, degreed got a job a Tesco with no tea money a year back for 500 baht per day. She is now up to 20K per month. Btw my stepson 19 year old and only 9 years education, working for a heavy equipment company for 3 years making 25K per month and no tea money on this one.