eBay, FedEx and customs charges

recom273

I do quite a lot of importing to Thailand and use EMS where possible.

I am of the understanding the general rule is goods with a declared value of under $100USD will not be charged Duty or VAT and will be delivered directly to the address. Goods where duty and VAT is payable need to be collected from the post office. But with many things Thai it often changes.

In relation to FedEx they complete the import clearance documents on behalf on the Receiver. The invoice is simply the charges due and payable on your behalf. They do not add extra charges for themselves. FedEx will not make a delivery or clear goods without your consent if the value is over 20,000thb anything under that they will and is outlined in their terms on condition.

Many people think the surcharge is an extra kickback for them when in fact it is a pre determine charge outlined on their website that varies from Country to Country and generally does not apply in Thailand. When FedEx make the Duty and VAT calculations it is work off the CIF (Cost of Goods, Insurance, Freight) but they use the full standard freight rate for the calculation and not the discount rate that companies often get and pass on to their customers. In many cases this can be 20% higher.

In relation to refusing to sign, I am sure FedEx will flag your name if you use them again and your supplier may be required to pay the return freight depending on their relationship with FedEx. I have often seen a supplier have a note in their term and conditions of sale that goods not accepted will have their credit card debited for the return freight but this may not apply in your case.

Just my thoughts!

How about this, you send something you bought in Thailand to another Country.

They dont like it, so send it back. You then get charged import duty and tax on your own goods!!

You have two options.

1. Pay it at post office and shut up.

2. Post office hold the item, while you complete 8 forms, provide original purchase receipt, original postal receipt, name and address of person you sent it to. Your Passport number, visa details, and current address with proof of residency. Then all that is sent to the Customs who will "consider" cancelling the duty. Approx time for an answer, 3 months!! Meanwhile your goods are held.

For those thinking, logically, pay it, then claim back, nope not allowed, if you pay it, its case closed.