Be Careful.

kevc

Unfortunately, it is a risk we take living in the tropics.

Just yesterday, a Moo Keow ( green snake ) the largest I have ever seen," jumped " off of my roof and only missed landing on me by about two feet.

They are very poisonous.

I still can not understand how it even got up on the roof, or why.

Sometimes only luck keeps us alive.

I wish you all good luck!

P.S. very sorry to hear about your dog.

If it was a Green Snake that "jumped" off your roof. It was probably a Golden Tree Snake. Harmless to humans. They are Flying Snakes. Please be sure of your snake breed before you say they are "very poisonous" which is incorrect - Snakes are VENOMOUS. Ngoo Keow is often used to refer to Golden Tree Snakes (which is most likely the species as these like to climb)

I am also sad to hear of OP's dog. My sympathy to you. It was most likely though, that your dog cornered or tried to kill the snake. It was a defense reaction on the snake's part. Leave snakes alone and they will leave you alone.

If this ngu kieow is what, in my innocence, I call a Golden Tree Snake, it is only mildly venomous, and is back-fanged, so would find it difficult to bite you. Tokays are apparently its favourite food. I get these snakes in my kitchen quite often.

The big centipede is far more dangerous, and could very well kill a small child.

No it is not. The golden tree snake, like you say, is rear fanged and the venom not very powerful. The Ngu kieow is a member of the tree viper family. Quite aggressive and classified as dangerous.

I agree with you about the White Lipped Pit Viper (also Ngoo kieow). BUT most Thai's refer to any green snake as Ngoo Kieow. I have a Green Tree Python that scares the bejesus out of most Thai's. He is the most placid, non-venomous snake ever! Vipers are very unlikely to be on a roof. They like trees and foliage. The most likely snake would be the Golden Tree Snake as it is a flying snake and often nests in roofs (and this is currently breeding season), it is, as you said, rear fanged but the venom is not harmful to humans. To be envenomated by a Golden Tree Snake would mean the snake munching on you, not a quick bite. The White Lipped Pit Viper is venomous, you need to get medical attention - not because it is fatal, but because of the necrosis the venom can cause to your flesh. It is a painful bite and the cleaning and cutting away of dead tissue is also painful.

Just yesterday, a Moo Keow ( green snake ) the largest I have ever seen," jumped " off of my roof and only missed landing on me by about two feet.

They are very poisonous.

Venomous (not poisonous) to geckos and tokays not humans. They are known for searching high places for their prey like rafters and ceiling spaces. Sorry to crush your near death story.

They are very poisonous.

Hmmm......a moo keow would be ' a green pig '. Pretty dangerous but thankfully as rare as hens teeth

More likely it was a ngoo keow. Had one in the front garden this week but chased it out with the garden hose.

Excuse me!

I have found that many,many Thai words have several different spellings in the English language.

I do find when I speak to my Thai neighbors about the snake, they know exactly what I am saying.

Phonetically, how would you pronounce ngoo?

You just did.

Was in the garage under some bags, he was a house dog had him for ten years my wife reared him from one week old, stayed inside everynight spoilt something rotten. Wife reckons its the second time he saved our lives first time we got burgled 3 in the morning by machette wielding tosspots, we were asleep pitch black and he started barking at them and chased them out the house.

Happens everywhere. My father was walking his little terrier dog on the farm. The dog sniffed in a rusty hole in the old corrugated iron on the ground. Tiger Snake bites dog on nose through the hole, father lifts the old sheet of iron and dog kills snake. Then dog dies.

Dang, this thread has turned into a "my snake is bigger and more deadly than your snake"...something one might expect to hear in a massage parlor...

To me, it sounds a lot like a recent Republican Party "debate".

Where they only discuss real issues, that are important to America!whistling.gif

They are very poisonous.

Hmmm......a moo keow would be ' a green pig '. Pretty dangerous but thankfully as rare as hens teeth

More likely it was a ngoo keow. Had one in the front garden this week but chased it out with the garden hose.

Excuse me!

I have found that many,many Thai words have several different spellings in the English language.

I do find when I speak to my Thai neighbors about the snake, they know exactly what I am saying.

You just did.

Sorry..

The "ng" sound still eludes me.

Sorry..

If you go to Hong Kong, you will meet many people whose name is Mr. Ng. Try saying it (and forget about English phonetics); you'll probably get it right so long as you don't try and put a vowel in it!

Sorry..

If you go to Hong Kong, you will meet many people whose name is Mr. Ng. Try saying it (and forget about English phonetics); you'll probably get it right so long as you don't try and put a vowel in it!

Please see:

They are very poisonous.

Response should be moved to Pedants Corner.

I think you'll find that's already full to bursting point.

I can imagine your pain KEVC. I feel with you.

End of December a cobra killed our dog and we still miss it.

We have 4 dogs, 2 of them are labrador mix and they hunt snakes. Bomb, the oldest one (4 yo) always find it and barks a special sound so we know there is danger. She stays always far enough (1m) from the snake and doesn't stop barking until I come.

I catch 2 or 3 snakes/month. More if it rains because of the many frogs jumping in the garden; I always throw them alive in the grove behind our house.

A few months after we moved in, I cut all tree branchs which were less than 50cm from the house and the ones above the roof.

After Pinda died, the first action taken was to cut all trees 1m outside the wall aound our ground and close the holes in the wall (holes to let water run out of the ground but when it rains they are closed with leaves and water doesn't run out anyway).

Now I am moving out of the garden everything where a snake could hide.

I plan to put some gravel inside the garden around the wall.

Here some pics of snakes in my house and of one I catched last year.

p3234410.jpgp3304410.jpgsnake_12.jpg

If some members are interrested, i can send detailed pics of my "Selfmade Snake Catcher Tool".

Yes please. Roughly where do you live? I thought we had plenty of snakes but not anywhere near as many as seem to cross your path. (I'm in the NE corner of Suphanburi province).

I live about 120km south of Hua Hin.

The house is in the middle of nothing. On the back is a grove, a swamp on one side and nothing on the other side (there is a big ground we bought after we bought the house). Our next neighbour is about 100m far.

As some members asked to see my "Selfmade Snake Catcher Tool", I will open a new post to show the pics and explain it.

To Kevc, very sorry to hear about Tiger. To others who have lost their animal friends I also feel sadness. We so often forget or take for granted the love and protection they give.

On the subject of centipedes, bitten on toe whist in bed, did not feel the bite ( not technically a bite - as with spiders - as the bite is from modified legs ), i did feel as though my foot was on fire and could see the redness spreading as far as my ankle. Took about 3 days for the burning and redness to go completely. The giant ones, thick as your thumb could possible kill a child I expect, even the smaller ones, often found in the house, especially end of rainy season, could kill if one is allergic. Have had them in every room of the house, they move and climb walls fast. Watch out when walking to the loo at night, use a torch. Have also found a snake skin in the house, dont know how the snake got in or out.

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever been bitten by the big centipede insects. And could the venom actually kill a youngster?

One bright orange one with a black head, killed my one year old 45kg pig, so yes, it could kill a child , even a young adult.

Clearly not everyone knows the difference between “noo/moo/ngu...rat/pig/snake” and some readers may have learned something new.biggrin.png

The “ng” at the beginning of a Thai word is the same as our “ng” but ours are usually at the end of a word like sing, sang, sung. The u or oo is pronounced like the vowel in the words “do” or “shoe”.

...yes sir!

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever been bitten by the big centipede insects. And could the venom actually kill a youngster?

One bright orange one with a black head, killed my one year old 45kg pig, so yes, it could kill a child , even a young adult.

It is my understanding that pigs have a very severe reaction to centipede bites. That is why they are very careful about protecting pig farms from these creatures, some going so far as to do weekly centipede hunts. But then I have been known to be wrong.

Archived