Be Careful.

kevc

Just a reminder, our dog Tiger died today from a snake bite ( Monocled Cobra) he passed out and before we could get him to the vets under an hour he died in the car. What really shocked us was it could have been our little daughter playing in the garden who came across it, she's not much bigger than our dog. So just a heads up to be watchful.

Unfortunately, it is a risk we take living in the tropics.

Just yesterday, a Moo Keow ( green snake ) the largest I have ever seen," jumped " off of my roof and only missed landing on me by about two feet.

They are very poisonous.

I still can not understand how it even got up on the roof, or why.

Sometimes only luck keeps us alive.

I wish you all good luck!

P.S. very sorry to hear about your dog.

Was in the garage under some bags, he was a house dog had him for ten years my wife reared him from one week old, stayed inside everynight spoilt something rotten. Wife reckons its the second time he saved our lives first time we got burgled 3 in the morning by machette wielding tosspots, we were asleep pitch black and he started barking at them and chased them out the house.

Just yesterday, a Moo Keow ( green snake ) the largest I have ever seen," jumped " off of my roof and only missed landing on me by about two feet.

They are very poisonous.

Hmmm......a moo keow would be ' a green pig '. Pretty dangerous but thankfully as rare as hens teeth

More likely it was a ngoo keow. Had one in the front garden this week but chased it out with the garden hose.

They are very poisonous.

Hmmm......a moo keow would be ' a green pig '. Pretty dangerous but thankfully as rare as hens teeth

More likely it was a ngoo keow. Had one in the front garden this week but chased it out with the garden hose.

Yeah, I had a psychedelic vision of a flying green pig too! rolleyes.gif Like something out of Pink Floyd's Animal live tour, eyes blazing as it flung itself off the roof to land inches from a terrified Willy.

AS for ngu kieow, I think they are only mildly poisonous and not much to worry about, unless you were bitten several times by a big 'un. I once saw one chase a tukae along an iron beam of a classroom I was teaching in. The kids went apeshit and the girls and katoeys were screaming with fear. The tukae eventually escaped unharmed. Unlike an amorous pair of ngu kieow in Ban Phai that were burned to death in a love-embrace, after short-circuiting electricity between two wires taking power to the place I was working at. Caused a 4 hour power cut. They are one of the few Thai snakes I have yet to have tasted.burp.gif Can anyone report on their palatability?

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever been bitten by the big centipede insects. And could the venom actually kill a youngster?

I got bitten buy one not too bad hurts like wasp bite last about 2 hours and then a dull pain for about 4 hours. that was the one that bit me in sissaket but maybe there are other types

Was in the garage under some bags, he was a house dog had him for ten years my wife reared him from one week old, stayed inside everynight spoilt something rotten. Wife reckons its the second time he saved our lives first time we got burgled 3 in the morning by machette wielding tosspots, we were asleep pitch black and he started barking at them and chased them out the house.

my heart goes out to you and the wife.he is in good company as quite a few members have lost their loved ones the past couple of yrs.

as he crosses over rainbow bridge he will get a big welcome,with no dangers.

R.I.P.brave one.

They are very poisonous.

Excuse me!

I have found that many,many Thai words have several different spellings in the English language.

I do find when I speak to my Thai neighbors about the snake, they know exactly what I am saying.

Phonetically, how would you pronounce ngoo?

If this ngu kieow is what, in my innocence, I call a Golden Tree Snake, it is only mildly venomous, and is back-fanged, so would find it difficult to bite you. Tokays are apparently its favourite food. I get these snakes in my kitchen quite often.

The big centipede is far more dangerous, and could very well kill a small child.

They are very poisonous.

Excuse me!

I have found that many,many Thai words have several different spellings in the English language.

I do find when I speak to my Thai neighbors about the snake, they know exactly what I am saying.

Phonetically, how would you pronounce ngoo?

...you should know by now that any comment you make here MUST be absolutely correct in all aspects...sorry I used caps to emphasize 'must' ... I'm sure we got the gist of what you were saying..i did..noo/moo/ngu...rat/pig/snake ..thumbsup.gif

Clearly not everyone knows the difference between “noo/moo/ngu...rat/pig/snake” and some readers may have learned something new.biggrin.png

The “ng” at the beginning of a Thai word is the same as our “ng” but ours are usually at the end of a word like sing, sang, sung. The u or oo is pronounced like the vowel in the words “do” or “shoe”.

If this ngu kieow is what, in my innocence, I call a Golden Tree Snake, it is only mildly venomous, and is back-fanged, so would find it difficult to bite you. Tokays are apparently its favourite food. I get these snakes in my kitchen quite often.

The big centipede is far more dangerous, and could very well kill a small child.

the big centipede [TARCARB] feared by all thai's.w00t.gif

No it is not. The golden tree snake, like you say, is rear fanged and the venom not very powerful. The Ngu kieow is a member of the tree viper family. Quite aggressive and classified as dangerous.

No it is not. The golden tree snake, like you say, is rear fanged and the venom not very powerful. The Ngu kieow is a member of the tree viper family. Quite aggressive and classified as dangerous.

Thanks, Garry!

They are very poisonous.

Response should be moved to Pedants Corner.

They are very poisonous.

The name of the snake is ngu keeow doke maak. The flying tree snake. It is venomous and aggressive. It, unlike the other varieties of green snakes has black and white dots along both sides and is slightly brighter green than the other green snakes Four distinct varieties depending on what part of Thailand you live in. There is a particularly dangerous green snake called the Ngu Keeow Haang Dang--- which has a bright red-tail. It can be a fairly good-sized snake as well --- It is a viper. II have seen them frequently in palm trees and on banana stalks The other Ngu Keeows, with very small heads (more like a lizards head) are only mildly poisonous and with pencil thin bodies and subsist primarily on insects and very small rodents and birds..

Maybe it is time to get a Mongoose?

I hear they can be pretty friendly to humans and can make good pets. Not sure if they will keep the Cobras away, but if you get enough of them, and when they all start screaming in the dark, they will keep the burglars away.

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever been bitten by the big centipede insects. And could the venom actually kill a youngster?

Very rare but you are correct they have the ability to kill a baby. I have never heard of a case in Thailand, but there have been some reports from the Philippines. We get some massive ones at my place, some are well over 8 inches, if I see them they are dead!

They have enough potency here to kill a fully grown pig. (Not a green pig though)

They are very poisonous.

Sure it wasnt a tree snake? Not many snakes other than tree snakes jump and they are not venomous

Very rare but you are correct they have the ability to kill a baby. I have never heard of a case in Thailand, but there have been some reports from the Philippines. We get some massive ones at my place, some are well over 8 inches, if I see them they are dead!

They have enough potency here to kill a fully grown pig. (Not a green pig though)

As odd as this sounds but pigs are actually good snake killers as they carry an antibody (in there receptors ) that makes it almost impossible for snake's toxin venom to kill or attack them. They are one of the few Mammals, besides the Mongoose, Honey Badger, and Hedgehogs who has this.

On my Uncles Ranch, his best Rattle Snake Killer was an Old Fat Sow. He says he is not sure how many times she has been bitten, except for sure more times than him. That his Sow hates snakes and will go far out of her way to kill one. He kept her around because of that and, I think he likes her "Too Much". .

I can imagine your pain KEVC. I feel with you.

End of December a cobra killed our dog and we still miss it.

We have 4 dogs, 2 of them are labrador mix and they hunt snakes. Bomb, the oldest one (4 yo) always find it and barks a special sound so we know there is danger. She stays always far enough (1m) from the snake and doesn't stop barking until I come.

I catch 2 or 3 snakes/month. More if it rains because of the many frogs jumping in the garden; I always throw them alive in the grove behind our house.

A few months after we moved in, I cut all tree branchs which were less than 50cm from the house and the ones above the roof.

After Pinda died, the first action taken was to cut all trees 1m outside the wall aound our ground and close the holes in the wall (holes to let water run out of the ground but when it rains they are closed with leaves and water doesn't run out anyway).

Now I am moving out of the garden everything where a snake could hide.

I plan to put some gravel inside the garden around the wall.

Here some pics of snakes in my house and of one I catched last year.

p3234410.jpgp3304410.jpgsnake_12.jpg

If some members are interrested, i can send detailed pics of my "Selfmade Snake Catcher Tool".

........Just yesterday, a Moo Keow ( green snake ) the largest I have ever seen," jumped " off of my roof and only missed landing on me by about two feet.

They are very poisonous.........

Might be poisonous.....if you ate it.......but I think you mean venomous.......if it bit you.

Archived