Targeting westerners at BTS security ?

atyclb

I was actually a quality auditor for the US government with a very clean employment record, so when I see some genuine sh*t or BS - I report it... What I see here in Bangkok though is a bunch of worthless white boys with no balls, clearly in denial... lol

Seems like you brought plenty of BS with you, was it excess baggage?

ps, do you take medication?

Edited by roo860

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was actually a quality auditor for the US government with a very clean employment record, so when I see some genuine sh*t or BS - I report it... What I see here in Bangkok though is a bunch of worthless white boys with no balls, clearly in denial... lol

Haven't I already made it clear that I'm not interested in opinions from the sample group of some Farang losers in Bangkok...? I thought that I explained it as eloquently as I could already, no? :)

Getting back on topic.

The security at BTS, Siam Paragon, Central World, the Emporium - they are a bunch of useless bums who harass white foreigners for their own amusement and provide virtually zero security... If you say something different then you are a liar... :)

I ride the BTS every day to work and back. I carry a bag every day. I am checked about once a month, while Thai people seem to be checked much more often. Just my experience. I think the appearance of the person determines a lot.

Yes same here.

I use the BTS extensively and never get stopped.

The MRT at Asoke does pointlessly glance into my bag, I don't actually stop, I just unzip and open it for them as I walk past.

My appearance is always smart too, never wear shorts or sandals.

Haven't I already made it clear that I'm not interested in opinions from the sample group of some Farang losers in Bangkok...? I thought that I explained it as eloquently as I could already, no? smile.png

Getting back on topic.

The security at BTS, Siam Paragon, Central World, the Emporium - they are a bunch of useless bums who harass white foreigners for their own amusement and provide virtually zero security... If you say something different then you are a liar... smile.png

You are welcome to follow me around and see how many times the security stop me.

You won't see much as I get stopped at most about once a month and even if they do it takes seconds to open the bag, smile at them and say Thanks (In Thai) then carry on.

No harassment, although I agree the whole thing is pointless and just seems like a job creation scheme.

I ride the BTS every day to work and back. I carry a bag every day. I am checked about once a month, while Thai people seem to be checked much more often. Just my experience. I think the appearance of the person determines a lot.

Yes same here.

The MRT at Asoke does pointlessly glance into my bag, I don't actually stop, I just unzip and open it for them as I walk past.

at-ta boy. I hope your strict adherence to the dress code makes the prison guards happy. Let's just hope that they don't demand that you wear lipstick next time :)

Admittedly I only spend a few days in Bangkok as I pass through twice a year, but my experience is that I'm waved through but my Thai girlfriend gets her bag checked, even though I offer my opened bag.

Westerners aren't generally on their watch list, the threat is mainly domestic, so I can only surmise that personal bias is the reason some security guards pick on westerners.

I imagine that the security bag search is only for show as, as has been stated, they only glance in the bags, it would be too easy to get 4 ounces of PE and a handful of nails through those check points, just enough to cause mayhem and death in a crowded area.

The security guards aren't properly trained (especially if they work for G4S) and most of them appear have trouble staving off boredom.

They can search me all they want, at least they're appearing to be doing something even if that something is ineffective.

Haven't I already made it clear that I'm not interested in opinions from the sample group of some Farang losers in Bangkok...? I thought that I explained it as eloquently as I could already, no? smile.png

Getting back on topic.

The security at BTS, Siam Paragon, Central World, the Emporium - they are a bunch of useless bums who harass white foreigners for their own amusement and provide virtually zero security... If you say something different then you are a liar... smile.png

You are evidently not as eloquent as you think you are. And anyone who offers an opinion that contradicts yours is a liar? Add your 'eloquence' to your distorted point of view, and one might ask what the hell you're doing offering everyone else on TV the benefit of your twopenn'orth, instead of gracing the U.S. hustings, trading insults with Donald Trump.

Yes same here.

at-ta boy. I hope your strict adherence to the dress code makes the prison guards happy. Let's just hope that they don't demand that you wear lipstick next time :)

You are quite a character.

I almost never get stopped and I usually have my backpack plus camera bag. I just walk past and don't make eye contact. Some of them know me, some don't. Most Asian males carrying similar things get stopped, at least at the places I go. It could be that security at certain stations are being managed differently.

The only times they've aggressively insisted is when I had my travel bags with me.

I wouldn't call it harassment at all.

some malls have security at some entrances while others entrances have none. i have never seen terminal 21 check any bags despite many beeps. why have security if it is meaningless?

​"Atyclb" raises an important point, "Why have security if it is meaningless?"

The answer is because a little show of security, here and there, now and then, is a lot cheaper, and takes a lot less thinking, than really solving the security problem. (If there is a problem.)

I'm not any kind of "security professional", but I do read a lot about the topic. The Thais are very fond of "security theatre", just a show, but nothing that solves the underlying problem.

The concept of "security theatre" can be seen clearly in the difference between airport security in Israel vs. USA. I've never been to Israel, but I've read a lot about their approach. Totally "low tech," more like "no tech," but never any problems. In the USA, very high tech and very costly, and, sometimes, very severe problems in spite of the cost and effort. The Thais would like to imitate the "impressive" USA approach, but don't have the money, so they just pretend.

Some years ago I rode an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to another city up country. At the bus station were several "inspection machines" for passenger luggage. Large, long, rectangular boxes, with a conveyor belt inside, and a panel of impressive looking indicator lights on the front. I casually walked over, stood near, and carefully looked over the "inspection machines". Made of painted plywood. Nothing at all to inspect or X-ray luggage. Indicator lights turned on when the conveyor motor started -- nothing more than that. And many passengers just walked past, out to the bus platform, carrying luggage, without putting in on the conveyor. Nobody stopped them. "Security theater" in Thailand.

I agree with "Atyclb", it is meaningless.

If you think the Thai "security theater" is meaningless you should try Juba International Airport, the scanner wasn't even plugged in, and they made no effort to hide the unconnected plug on the end of the wire. I laughed out loud, quite literally, at the "security theatre" of passengers going through the arch one at a time.

Security is mostly show, being seen to do something even if that something is ineffective, and at the rate of pay the security operatives are on I doubt we have any university graduates or ex military special forces.

I volunteered for the London 2012 Olympics as a gamesmaker, for which I had to sit through a BS course on security for which I gained an NVQ (I know you're impressed!) so now I'm qualified to look bored as people walk by.

Lol, there's certainly a wide-spread harassment of whites in Bangkok, I was not even affected by it the most by far - for some reason the cops really like me, never been searched or stopped by cops. As for the security - I reported what I reported because it's true.

They do check foreigners only - and they never search the Thais... so they provide ZERO security and are just a huge pain in the ass for visitors...

And some of you can continue your worthless blah blah blah, but it's not going to solve this problem for anybody... smile.png

This harassment only seems to be happening to you,or in your area unless you are calling the rest of us liars.You are the only one whining about this,so you have to deal with it.

Getting back on topic.

Well,my pants are not on fire,so i can't be a liar.As a troll you are not much good,we all picked you on the 1st post.Let me give you some help as you are clearly floundering here.Any troll post must have an element of truth or members will be onto you straight away.Now you are just digging a deeper hole.Takes a long time to come back from drivel like this.

Ok sure. Just FYI, I do think that a lot of you are making false reports, so it's on your own conscience... Just letting you know that pretending that a problem doesn't exist usually never makes it actually go away. At the end of the day this will affect all of you much more than it will affect me... I was actually trying to help you out... :) But if you are comfortable with constantly being singled out just for being a foreigner - fine by me...

I've been in this country since 1993 - I visited all those places like Central World without a hassle and never had a problem in this problematic country. Basically a lot of those security guards weren't even alive back then, it just adds some irony to this whole situation - I know more about this country and them than they could possibly know themselves...

Yes same here.

at-ta boy. I hope your strict adherence to the dress code makes the prison guards happy. Let's just hope that they don't demand that you wear lipstick next time smile.png

I always wear colourful boardys and a chang/singa or leo singlet,true.Never get checked,always get served and don't have any probs.Maybe i am deluded and spin in my own world but nobody hassles me and i treat everybody the same.

Ok sure. Just FYI, I do think that a lot of you are making false reports, so it's on your own conscience... Just letting you know that pretending that a problem doesn't exist usually never makes it actually go away. At the end of the day this will affect all of you much more than it will affect me... I was actually trying to help you out... :) But if you are comfortable with constantly being singled out just for being a foreigner - fine by me...

I've been in this country since 1993 - I visited all those places like Central World without a hassle and never had a problem in this problematic country. Basically a lot of those security guards weren't even alive back then, it just adds some irony to this whole situation - I know more about this country and them than they could possibly know themselves...

How were trying to help people?

Ok sure. Just FYI, I do think that a lot of you are making false reports, so it's on your own conscience... Just letting you know that pretending that a problem doesn't exist usually never makes it actually go away. At the end of the day this will affect all of you much more than it will affect me... I was actually trying to help you out... smile.png But if you are comfortable with constantly being singled out just for being a foreigner - fine by me...

By raising awareness to this issue. It's either they have to start doing it properly - i.e. check EVERYBODY, or drop it altogether...

Ok sure. Just FYI, I do think that a lot of you are making false reports, so it's on your own conscience... Just letting you know that pretending that a problem doesn't exist usually never makes it actually go away. At the end of the day this will affect all of you much more than it will affect me... I was actually trying to help you out... smile.png But if you are comfortable with constantly being singled out just for being a foreigner - fine by me...

By raising awareness to this issue. It's either they have to start doing it properly - i.e. check EVERYBODY, or drop it altogether...

Have you contacted your local MP?

I don't carry A bag,I never get checked.They don't know that you don't have A pressure cooker in it.Boston Marathon.

You might want to stop carrying A bag.If I was Thai security I would check you out also.You could be ISIS.

Here for so long, know so much, yet can't work out how to buy a cheap bottle of wine from a mini-mart... clap2.gif