Tipping for 1 drink

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am rich and usually tip 1000 baht, but it's weird how so many women follow me home

i must be very hansum!!!!

they are poor, you are rich, don't be cheapcharlie....help them and you can afford 1000 baht tip!!!!

or stay at home

i am rich and usually tip 1000 baht, but it's weird how so many women follow me home

i must be very hansum!!!!

they are poor, you are rich, don't be cheapcharlie....help them and you can afford 1000 baht tip!!!!

or stay at home

that is what i call a good advice from a advanced member

Sure.

Most do but make sure the tip is at least 200 Bht minimum or you will earn the C.C. award.

you are a funny old man

Yep ! Funny but less of the "old" please ------Boy !

When in Bars drinking the one drink, take great care not to offend people, it could result in great pain.

Sure.

Most do but make sure the tip is at least 200 Bht minimum or you will earn the C.C. award.

you are a funny old man

Yep ! Funny but less of the "old" please ------Boy !

When in Bars drinking the one drink, take great care not to offend people, it could result in great pain.

what do you mean by offend?

I do. One drink or more it doesn't matter. Those 10 and 20 baht tips add up. Even if I just drink and run. If I sit and chat a while of course. It is always a bit awkward though whether to tip in the cup or tip the girl directly if I was chatting directly with her. usually it is a combination of people because you chat with the bar tender, the mama san, etc, so I just put it in the cup and let them fight it out later, unless I really took up a lot of one girl's time. I remember years ago at one of the soi 8 bars at closing time they were totaling up the tip money and dividing it up. The ladies only got 30 baht each. It was a slow night.

I do. One drink or more it doesn't matter. Those 10 and 20 baht tips add up. Even if I just drink and run. If I sit and chat a while of course. It is always a bit awkward though whether to tip in the cup or tip the girl directly if I was chatting directly with her. usually it is a combination of people because you chat with the bar tender, the mama san, etc, so I just put it in the cup and let them fight it out later, unless I really took up a lot of one girl's time. I remember years ago at one of the soi 8 bars at closing time they were totaling up the tip money and dividing it up. The ladies only got 30 baht each. It was a slow night.

Thanks for the reply. yeah those 10 and 20 baht do add up. i do tip alot and sometimes too often i think.

if i buy one beer for 80 then i usually pay 100, and for my personal opinion i dont think it is nessary if i dont have a chat with any of the staff of get any service beside that they open my beer

Ya, upon reflection - I'd go with 20 Baht - a 25% tip is more than generous

Or, say you drink 5 beers and leave a hundred baht tip

After 5 beers - one is feeling pretty magnanimous

And a little generous-hearted

The next day? - not so much..

I don't drink anymore - but I wish you all the best when you have one beer - or a few more to relax and socialize

All the best

Not much of a secret.

If you go to the same bar often...and only buy one beer, leaving no tip...you are going to get the cold shoulder. Don't expect to be greeted lovingly.

Tipping is a reward....sometimes a friendly smile and a chat is worth something. So it is a two way street. I see no point in going to a bar and have the staff ignore you. Make it easy for them....tip them (at least from time to time)....even if you are going to sip one beer for two hours....when there are only few seats.

Took me years to realize that giving out a piece of candy, or trying to best friends with all the staff, while leaving no money for their work...was kind of ridiculous. They have plenty friends off duty.

Edited by slipperylobster

I generally tip a minimum of 20 baht, unless the service is really bad. I often like to go on a pub crawl like you speak of.

If I have a large bar tab and they bring me back 4- ten baht coins along with numerous other bills, I just take all the change and leave no tip. I really hate when they do that and think that I am a stupid tourist who doesn't know the value of the coins. I f they just bought me my proper change in bill form, they would get a lot more.

On this type of pub crawl its better to be the staff working in the last bar visited than the first I would think.

Unless the customer is an unpleasant alcoholic of course.

For me....I will tip based on service, whether I can be bothered to wait for change or simply my mood at that moment.

I generally tip a minimum of 20 baht, unless the service is really bad. I often like to go on a pub crawl like you speak of.

If I have a large bar tab and they bring me back 4- ten baht coins along with numerous other bills, I just take all the change and leave no tip. I really hate when they do that and think that I am a stupid tourist who doesn't know the value of the coins. I f they just bought me my proper change in bill form, they would get a lot more.

I think they're trying to make it easy for you to leave a tip, and perhaps suggesting how much they think it should be.

At least you can decide how much to tip - it's annoying if the bill is THB 100 and they bring back 4 x 100 in change from a THB 500 note.

I'd prefer 3 x 100 + 4 x 20 + 2 x 10; then I can decide whether to tip 10, 20,...

If it comes back 3 x 100 + 2 x 50 I'll rummage in my pocket for shrapnel or scoop the lot.

SC

i ask because i like to go from bar to bar and have a quick look and a beer. kind of pub crawl

No need to tip.

The Japs don't and they're respected here in Thailand more than you'll ever be.

If you need to ask this question, learn the difference between being liked and being respected.

I think they're trying to make it easy for you to leave a tip, and perhaps suggesting how much they think it should be.

At least you can decide how much to tip - it's annoying if the bill is THB 100 and they bring back 4 x 100 in change from a THB 500 note.

I'd prefer 3 x 100 + 4 x 20 + 2 x 10; then I can decide whether to tip 10, 20,...

If it comes back 3 x 100 + 2 x 50 I'll rummage in my pocket for shrapnel or scoop the lot.

SC

you have a very different interpretation than me. Why on earth do i need 4 ten baht coins to make change on a 1000+ baht bill?