This Is Thailand

hkthai

I’ve been reading this site for the past year. What I find very interesting are posters/comments related to Thai social, government, and business attitudes that otherwise are different from western thinking. My observation is that the many responses have been to look upon the situation with disapproval and dismay at the lack of rationale – basically, a response as if this is a country with no common sense or sense of social or self-responsibilities. Generally speaking there seems to be an underlying tone that if this is not how it is done in the west then it’s uncivilized or uncultured. I get the sense in reading some post that it is a we and they thing.

Generalized examples such as (just to name a few):

Thai Men – Lazy, primitive, irresponsible, drunks who’s goal is to create a fatherless new generation and who are vindictive of the farang male.

Race – Thai, Thai-Chinese; The Thai Chinese are just as selfish as all Chinese. Their real motivation is to conquer and control the people and the wealth of Thailand with no regards the consequences.

Thai girls – Just like stamp collection, their sole hobby is to collect as many ATM cards from foreign banks as they can. When not collecting ATM cards, they cheat, lie, steal, and prostitutionalize themselves in further their hobby.

Materialism – Thai’s are very materialistic and getting more so everyday. They need the latest cell phone model and will do whatever it takes to get the latest….moral or immoral….principal or un-principal.

I realized above are drastic examples and in some cases unfortunately true. However, I wonder if some people of this board have ever thought about the background and the chain of events that may have lead to the above beliefs and generalizations…(and there are just some grossly sweeping generalizations made here)? Have you ever thought that the particular situations described (and many more not described) are also occurring in other countries (developed and undeveloped) and that it is not unique to Thailand?

Guest IT Manager

Thank you HKThai, for the opportunity to make my 2,000 th post in a reasonably thought provoking manner, rather than just an announcement in General Topics.

First, www.thaivisa.com is one of a growing number of online or virtual communities throughout the world, each having a focus which addresses the needs and viewpoints of the members who are attracted to using it.

Like any community, thaivisa has people from all political, socio/economic and belief groups. Thaivisa deals with each as a member, and while oftentimes, arguments and disagreements certainly occur (like any non-virtual community), they are likewise dealt with in the same way as a non-virtual community.

There are people to protect the community from the attentions of those who may feel we are a threat, there are those to manage what actually happens (moderators), and the members themselves actually regulate their attitudes.

Many people have expressed disquiet and/or dissatisfaction with the way the forum team works, but on the whole, it is interesting to see how much incredibly valuable information is shared here, at no cost, with the members.

A sense of humour is the first and most important thing to have developed before getting involved. The development of an on-line persona is not immediate, but over time, firm, well founded friendships have been developed here, which have culminated in cross-world visits, cross-country drives, shared drinks in local villages and pretty much the full gamut of what happens in any local community.

Part of my developing interest in thaivisa, related to the interactions between members, and some weeks ago, I wrote an article for a new Thailand wide magazine Farang Advertiser, discussing just this issue.

I like it here. It's a place where I can come and meet friends, exchange ideas, support and be supported as needed, and just spend a little while each day.

IT

I’ve been reading this site for the past year. What I find very interesting are posters/comments related to Thai social, government, and business attitudes that otherwise are different from western thinking. My observation is that the many responses have been to look upon the situation with disapproval and dismay at the lack of rationale – basically, a response as if this is a country with no common sense or sense of social or self-responsibilities. Generally speaking there seems to be an underlying tone that if this is not how it is done in the west then it’s uncivilized or uncultured. I get the sense in reading some post that it is a we and they thing.

Generalized examples such as (just to name a few):

Thai Men – Lazy, primitive, irresponsible, drunks who’s goal is to create a fatherless new generation and who are vindictive of the farang male.

Race – Thai, Thai-Chinese; The Thai Chinese are just as selfish as all Chinese. Their real motivation is to conquer and control the people and the wealth of Thailand with no regards the consequences.

Thai girls – Just like stamp collection, their sole hobby is to collect as many ATM cards from foreign banks as they can. When not collecting ATM cards, they cheat, lie, steal, and prostitutionalize themselves in further their hobby.

Materialism – Thai’s are very materialistic and getting more so everyday. They need the latest cell phone model and will do whatever it takes to get the latest….moral or immoral….principal or un-principal.

I realized above are drastic examples and in some cases unfortunately true. However, I wonder if some people of this board have ever thought about the background and the chain of events that may have lead to the above beliefs and generalizations…(and there are just some grossly sweeping generalizations made here)? Have you ever thought that the particular situations described (and many more not described) are also occurring in other countries (developed and undeveloped) and that it is not unique to Thailand?

You have picked the way many visitors here do generalize. Some expect that the Thai government should handmake visa regulations to suit each and every individual applicant. Thanks for your insightful contribution.

I look at it another way:

Firstly there are the generalised comments that are meant to be nothing else than provocative, you know the kind of thing "All Thai men are ....., All Thai women are ..."

Those can usually be brushed asside by either ignoring the post or knocking holes in it.

But there are the other comments, generally from people who have made Thailand their home and always more thoughtful.

These people may indeed criticize, suggest iprovements based on their own background, and sometimes, thankfully, take a humurous look at Thailand.

I see this as a positive sign, behind these comments is a caring for the Thailand that has become the writer's home, the comments may be critical but they are not passive acceptance of the ills of life in Thailand. Like all immigrants to all countries they are bringing part of themselves and their culture with them, Thailand is better for that input.

I draw the analogy to the Classic Thai Dish ~ Somtam.

If you take the foreign ingrediants out (Peanuts, Tomatoes, Papaya and Chilis) you would be left with dried shrimps, fish sauce and garlic.

I think there is another issue too, Thaivisa and websites like Thaivisa, perhaps the letter pages of the local press, but few other places, are the only forums where foreigners can actually voice an opinion.

As ###### pointed out, much of that voice is used to provide helpful insights and information.

If the Thais opened up to those voices they, like their Somtam, would undoubtedly gain from the foreign ingrediants.

Guest IT Manager

Very well put Guesthouse.

Comments like that make this place what it is.

I'm going to the Tallad, for washing up liquid, veges and cigarettes. Anyone want anything while I'm there?

:o

Thank you HKThai, for the opportunity to make my 2,000 th post in a reasonably thought provoking manner, rather than just an announcement in General Topics.

Nice dig at me IT , shame I only spotted it now.... :o

Good Luck wherever you may be.

You can be nice Chon. :D

Good Luck?

Why?

To eachs own.

It must be understood that each person posting is writing from their own opinions and experiences therefore all statements should be taken from a neutral state of comprehension. We can't make people change how they think but we can certainly educate them about what can broaden their way of thinking.

All in all, good and relevant post hkthai.

To eachs own.

It must be understood that each person posting is writing from their own opinions and experiences therefore all statements should be taken from a neutral state of comprehension. We can't make people change how they think but we can certainly educate them about what can broaden their way of thinking.

All in all, good and relevant post hkthai.

Agree 100%

Guest chingy

I hope you're not talking about middle class family, if you were all this statemen is a wrong.

I did three major industrial type projects in Thailand over a twenty five year span, always found the Thai workers( both men and women) to be good workers with good work ethics and never ran across many that I didn't like, on balance easier to work in Thailand than in my own country in the west.

Bar girls you ask, always was able to have lots of fun with them too but that has been a few years back so anyone that attempts to degrade the Thai people(bargirls and all) and Thailand as a whole should pack up and get the he1l out!

I hope you're not talking about middle class family, if you were all this statemen is a wrong.

No. As a matter of fact that is the point. There's a whole group of Thais who are living average/normal lives with the same wants/ambitions as people of the rest of the world.

I'm going to the Tallad, for washing up liquid, veges and cigarettes. Anyone want anything while I'm there?

:D

Sure...how 'bout picking up a bottle of Mekong for me to wash away the taste of prejudice that's cropped up recently on this fine Forum.

Thanks, IT & best of luck... :o

• 2 weeks later...

:D

Sure...how 'bout picking up a bottle of Mekong for me to wash away the taste of prejudice that's cropped up recently on this fine Forum.

Thanks, IT & best of luck... :D

ain't that the truth :o

>>>Thai Men – Lazy, primitive, irresponsible, drunks who’s goal is to create a fatherless new generation and who are vindictive of the farang male.

100% correct

But can you claim this for 100% of Thai males? Of course not, unless you are a total ignorant imbecile.

>>>Thai Men – Lazy, primitive, irresponsible, drunks who’s goal is to create a fatherless new generation and who are vindictive of the farang male.

100% correct

100% ignorant imbecile

If the Thais opened up to those voices they, like their Somtam, would undoubtedly gain from the foreign ingrediants.

Thais are not like Farang.  They do not open up...that's just the way it is... :o

Truer words were never spoken.

The world is globalizing at an astounding speed, the Thais will without doubt continue to work with buffaloes and accept everything the clowns in government do for 'the benefit of the country'... I sincerely think that Thai culture is unsustainable when compared with global developments... The good thing is that the Thais are getting more and more critical these days, they still can't keep up with Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan....

Dutchy