Re-Entry Permit Now Requires Copy Of Departure Card

Greenside

The Thai Embassy.com site lists the documents needed as:

When applying for a re-entry permit you will need to submit the following:

• A completed TM-8 form
  • The correct fee
  • A 2-inch photo
  • Photocopy of passport (main page and latest entry stamp)

Today they made me go get a copy of my departure card as well. No big deal but worth remembering for next time.

Last year when applying for a re entry permit at the immigration desk upstairs in the CM airport the woman wanted a copy of my boarding pass!!.... which I'd only just been given five minutes before downstairs. I asked her where in the airport could I get a photocopy. Eventually she dropped the idea. Luckily I still had plenty of time before the plane left...otherwise it really might've got my blood pressure up.

Copy of boarding pass!?? Give me a break Miss Scammer!

It's all about job security. They sit there every day and perhaps have one or 2 bright events that someone ask for that re-entry thing. Go along, have some fun, making a copy does not hurt, bring her a coffee back. Easy.

It's all about job security. They sit there every day and perhaps have one or 2 bright events that someone ask for that re-entry thing. Go along, have some fun, making a copy does not hurt, bring her a coffee back. Easy.

Horsesh*t.

They just make us jump through hoops for entertainment.

Let her get her own damn coffee.

Edited by curtklay

Horsesh*t.

They just make us jump through hoops for entertainment.

Let her get her own damn coffee.

Damn right, asking for one more copy is totally over the top in the play pen.

Jesus Curt, get a grip.

If they want a copy of the departure card, why is it not listed in the required documents as the op pointed out?

Why does every immigration office make up their own requirements?

How can you know what they want, when they don't say so in their "official" rules?

You can be totally diligent, and try to comply with every rule that they post, but they continuously come up with some nonsense like the wrong color ink, or the position of your passport on a photocopy.

It's childish, and just a product of their own insecurity. "Play pen" is a perfect description.

Should have told them it fell out of your passport.

It's no big deal they just give you another

They used to staple it inside your passport. Last time I went through immigration at Swampy they didn't even care doing so. I almost lost it, had to ask a clerk at my bank to staple it for me when I went to exchange some euros.

Greenside shouldn't have said

Entry Permit Now Requires Copy Of Departure Card

He should have said, his re-entry permit required a copy of departure card.

Don't know anyone else who has ever experienced this.

If you've lost it, they can't get a copy anyway.

Does this mean no re-entry permit, I doubt it.

Although it can scare the shi-ite out of you thinking you'll lose your visa rights.

Edited by uptheos

If they want a copy of the departure card, why is it not listed in the required documents as the op pointed out?

How can you know what they want, when they don't say so in their "official" rules?

You can be totally diligent, and try to comply with every rule that they post, but they continuously come up with some nonsense like the wrong color ink, or the position of your passport on a photocopy.

It's childish, and just a product of their own insecurity. "Play pen" is a perfect description.

Or your insecurity. Trouble dealing with uncertainty? Want everything to be black or white?

FYI the official rules allow each immigration officer a lot of discretion and flexibility.

I have gotten about 30 re-entery permits and damned if I can remember if I ever had to give a copy of my departure card. Amazing I can got along somehow without knowing/remembering that important she-kit.

Copies up to 50 stang for A4 or can you still get them for 40?

Although it can scare the shi-ite out of you thinking you'll lose your visa rights.

I was asked for a copy of my departure card when I got a re-entry permit last week in Jomtien, so it seems like it may be a standard request now.

What happens if you have lost your card? They give you another which you then photocopy as requested, I suppose.

Edited by KittenKong

Copies up to 50 stang for A4 or can you still get them for 40?

Near the immigration office in Jomtien it's 5B each. (Is this a massive scam? Yes. Is it likely that the immigration office gets a kickback for each copy done, thus encouraging them to ask for many unnecessary copies? Yes.)

It's 2B at the Kodak shop at the bottom of the Soi, or 50 satang if you go to Thepprasit.

So if you only pay 50 satang at immigration in Chiang Mai that's a bargain.

Edited by KittenKong

I was asked for a copy of my departure card when I got a re-entry permit last week in Jomtien, so it seems like it may be a standard request now.

What happens if you have lost your card? They give you another which you then photocopy as requested, I suppose.

Yeah, I guess you're right sounds like immigration through and through.

Actually none of this happens by accident. Screws are being slowly turned. Clearly Chiang Mai immigration want "agents" used for all matters.

Show up without a copy of departure card or boarding pass, no way to make a copy? Leave the country and start from Zero, or go back to town and miss your flight.

Whilst probably being monitored by CCTV with great amusement by the master puppeteers. thumbsup.gif

Edited by arunsakda

Or your insecurity. Trouble dealing with uncertainty? Want everything to be black or white?

FYI the official rules allow each immigration officer a lot of discretion and flexibility.

Uh...yeah. When it comes to government regulations, I do want it all black and white. It's called "standards".

And I'd like to know where in the "official rules", it says "By the way, this is all just a suggestion. What is actually required of you depends on the immigration officer's mood".

How can you have a departure card if its applied for anywhere but at the airport ??

At an airport they have always demanded you had the exit card, to show your leaving, you just didnt need a copy before.

When you fly into Thailand as a foreign citizen, you are given an arrival card and a departure card, attached together with a perforated edge. When you go through Immigration to enter the country, the Immigration Officer takes the arrival card half and puts the departure card half into your passport. You're supposed to keep it until you leave the country.

That's how you can have a departure card no matter where you apply for a re-entry permit.

The OP quotes from "Thai Embassy.com" !

This is a COMMERCIAL WEB SITE which is not an "official" site associated in any way with the Thai Government. The site is well known for its many inaccurate and misleading statements.

You are right, Jim. Good catch!

Uh...yeah. When it comes to government regulations, I do want it all black and white. It's called "standards".

And I'd like to know where in the "official rules", it says "By the way, this is all just a suggestion. What is actually required of you depends on the immigration officer's mood".

Charge on White Knight.[emoji12]

The section of the "official rules" that you are looking for is just before the section that says they can shoot you.