How long could survive on three million baht?

baneko

I am very fortunate in my life - because of the way I think!

1. I like beautiful things, I like good food, I like to go places, I like a nice car. If I can't have any of those things I am disappointed but not hurt.

2. My philosophy is simple: When I have everything I need, what else do I need?

1. wonderful words of wisdom and balm for the soul... for those who believe you.

2. ???crazy.gif???

You wouldn't expect me to write words of wisdom if I didn't know what they meant.

"When I have everything I need": For me, the essentials: food, water, shelter, health, freedom, love! Everything after that is desire; I don't NEED the things I desire.

Many Contributors on and off this thread consider desires as their essentials!

If you really want to understand the word "surviving" in this world, ask anyone who is always close to the threshold of not surviving.

My previous remarks about surviving on B15,000 per month allows me a level of comfort and contentment that I am genuinely happy with.

ChrisKC I like your approach to life, if your happy that's what matters.

Everyone has a different outlook to life and the definition of happiness will be different from person to person.

I find this thread interesting as one day I would like to settle down in Thailand with the family. The health care seems to be the major issue once schooling is out of the way.

How long could I like on 3M who knows, I'll respond once I make the big move I'm sure things will be different by then (more expensive)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to agree with 'Emster23'......there are good rental properties out there and for people who are willing/able and happy to move out of farang ghettos there are good deals to be had. Of course not withstanding there are people that have the money and want to be ‘in amongst it’ that is the individual’s choice and I respect that……… But if you want the ‘cheap’ Thailand you keep reading about but find it unobtainable, move out of the cities.

How far will 3 million Baht take you in Thailand?…… A Hell of a lot further living in the country than living in the cities. Rent/food/drink/entertainment…… even some utilities…… As a bonus the people are, in general friendlier, the weather is cooler. And what is this ‘alcohol buying hours’ I keep reading about?

I would think living in the country as opposed to the city would make your 3 million Baht go a lot further, just by a small change in lifestyle, (less temptation to spend for one thing) I guess your money would go at least 25% to 50% more…… Up too you!

Edited by Tonto21

3 million baht aint exactly a lottery win, what kinda funds are the average expat on anyway, per year?

less than 10k USD per year by the sounds of the majority of replies.

Hmmmm from the replies I would suggest there are for sure some which have funds of more than 30'000$ per year and there are also some which have less.

But when i reply i could survive 15 years (16K baht/Month) not automatically mean I have to live on that... because in my mind survive mean what is the lowest possible that you still are according to the law for immigration and have a room and food.

that really depends on what you need in your life. I don't have 3 million but probably it'll last me 5 years. you'll end up with about 50K / Month but that doesn't includes the Visa that you need to obtain and other unforeseen issue such as accident and sickness. (That's for bangkok)

If i really had that money will Move out of Bangkok and go to some cheaper places in Thailand such as Issan or Chiang Mai.

Current budget, around 18 months.

Is that surviving or bragging?

Well the OP asked and that's about what my yearly expenses come to or around $4500 p/m. That factors in every expense like a yearly trip to the USA etc. What's to brag about?

Current budget, around 18 months.

Is that surviving or bragging?

Well the OP asked and that's about what my yearly expenses come to or around $4500 p/m. That factors in every expense like a yearly trip to the USA etc. What's to brag about?

A yearly trip to the USA has NOTHING to do with "surviving" in Thailand.

The "current budget, around 18 months" gives the impression of answering the OPs question but chooses to add (without telling us) huge extraneous items not related to the question. I am entitled to suppose anything about a budget of B166,666 a month, one of which is for him to let us all know how much money he has!

Oh, ChrisKC you are such a stickler for details! OK, I'll back out the yearly trip to the USA and other travel expenses to neighboring countries as well as some financial assistance that I give to my son in the USA as well as charitable donations to the Fr Ray Foundation in Pattaya. Now with those items backed out my monthly expenses are a much more reasonable $2600/B91,000 per month. I hope you will approve of this and not again accuse me of "bragging" about my wealth! PS: You really should not take these questions and answers here on TV so seriously. Post again if you require more details about my financial situation.

Oh, ChrisKC you are such a stickler for details! OK, I'll back out the yearly trip to the USA and other travel expenses to neighboring countries as well as some financial assistance that I give to my son in the USA as well as charitable donations to the Fr Ray Foundation in Pattaya. Now with those items backed out my monthly expenses are a much more reasonable $2600/B91,000 per month. I hope you will approve of this and not again accuse me of "bragging" about my wealth! PS: You really should not take these questions and answers here on TV so seriously. Post again if you require more details about my financial situation.

I was being a little facetious with my original comment .

I am a stickler for detail when it matters but I am a stickler for the basics always.

Sorry, but I have to stand by my comments about your inclusions of extraneous outgoings that have no bearing on "surviving" in Thailand. My criticism is not about your finances but your chosen method of answering a question that added nothing to the discussion or remotely useful to the OP

If you went to the village and were with Thais you might get 12 months out of it.

If you were in a main town and met a few Farangs especially if you knew them at home and they were your mates and they had been in LOS a few years your money would be gone in 3 months.

Do it on your own but it is not a lot of money

I am a stickler for detail when it matters but I am a stickler for the basics always.

Sorry, but I have to stand by my comments about your inclusions of extraneous outgoings that have no bearing on "surviving" in Thailand. My criticism is not about your finances but your chosen method of answering a question that added nothing to the discussion or remotely useful to the OP

I actually thought Spaniels "spend" was reasonable. I wish mine was that low.

I actually thought Spaniels "spend" was reasonable. I wish mine was that low.

I wish my wife's was that low ...

Survive??? Unrealistic if that's all you have.. Unless you're about to die of old age, or a have a terminal illness..

Nobody is talking about wanting ONLY to "survive". But that was the question. But then again, maybe the OP didn't mean that literally.

In my earlier post where I described my survival rate of B15,000 per month, I also indicated I could have everything I wanted but that is MORE than just survival. If I take the word literally, I could live on B6,000 per month.

Survive??? Unrealistic if that's all you have.. Unless you're about to die of old age, or a have a terminal illness..

Nobody is talking about wanting ONLY to "survive". But that was the question. But then again, maybe the OP didn't mean that literally.

In my earlier post where I described my survival rate of B15,000 per month, I also indicated I could have everything I wanted but that is MORE than just survival. If I take the word literally, I could live on B6,000 per month.

The OP also said "If you lost your job tomorrow"....

So suddenly one loses their job all current outgoings do not simply vanish as well.

Life is not a switch that can be simply turned on or off.