"negotiators"

Martin

In the News Clippings section topic on "American man beaten to death in Pattaya", Black Jack wrote:

"The som tum lady told me that every farang should carry in their wallet the name of a negotiator.

These people work just a little bit out side of the law - however they do work for law firms.

They negotiate the settlement (before it escalates out of control) and the fees to be paid.

The fees can be paid off over time.

It's worth it.

However many loud mouths stand their ground on amendments that don't exist in this country.

As she pounded in the chilies, she said "Be Thai, shut up, pay the fees, live long and prosper Spock"

I would very much like to know more about these 'negotiator' helpers/services. Are they available in other Thailand cities, or only Bangkok?. Can anyone who has used them tell me how they are contactable (and how helpful/expensive they were)?. Thanks. Martin.

In the News Clippings section topic on "American man beaten to death in Pattaya", Black Jack wrote:

"The som tum lady told me that every farang should carry in their wallet the name of a negotiator.

These people work just a little bit out side of the law - however they do work for law firms.

They negotiate the settlement (before it escalates out of control) and the fees to be paid.

The fees can be paid off over time.

It's worth it.

However many loud mouths stand their ground on amendments that don't exist in this country.

As she pounded in the chilies, she said "Be Thai, shut up, pay the fees, live long and prosper Spock"

I would very much like to know more about these 'negotiator' helpers/services. Are they available in other Thailand cities, or only Bangkok?. Can anyone who has used them tell me how they are contactable (and how helpful/expensive they were)?. Thanks. Martin.

Tell us all when you find out.

Guest IT Manager

The proper word is Compradore, and are the best thing you can have for a company start up, or to assist with company issues.

A good one will have heaps of contacts in Government departments (including police etc). They are also negotiators but the major role any of our customers has used them for is company administration.

I know of one who did an entire BoI setup, then continued with the company and is now admin manager and she is brilliant. Essentially they are worth their weight in gold.

The police issue is a side one only, as it's a result of having the contacts either socially or educationally. I am not sure what the Thai word is, but I wouldn't mind betting Greg Lange would know.

Compradore: An agent in a foreign country employed by a domestic businessman to facilitate transactions with local businesses within the foreign country.

Guest chingy
I am curious to know if these people are lawyers by trade or are they just extremely connected in the business/ political/ police worlds or all of those?

more likely connection, if you are a no name lawyer u aint worth crap, don't believe me have you check the news lately

I am not sure what the Thai word is, but I wouldn't mind betting Greg Lange would know.

I am not sure what the exact word is, but Thai people call a person like this as someone who "mii sen".

roughly translated, someone with inside contacts.

In Brazil they call them "despachante", i.e lt. "dispatchers". They "take care of things" for you... anything it seems. When we were there some years ago our visas and work permits were dealt with thorugh a despachante who would basically take our passports and some money and come back with the appropriate paperworks.

The despachante was contracted by the company we worked for (one of the country's 10 largest) and it seemed the despachante was really a group of people, lawyers, interpreters, guys whos main qualification seemed to be that they were able to stand in a queue for hours if necessary, other guys who I really didn't want to know details about... but they got the job done in a short time and, according to the company who paid for it, much cheaper than if they'd had to go to a through traditional routes.

This is the first I hear about such services in Thailand.