Photo of student mum taking her baby to class sparks debate on Thai social media

webfact

I personally believe school is a place for learning and not for bringing infants to.

Out of respect for the mother and the students attending the school it would be more appropriate for the school to allow the mother of the infant to sit the exam in a private setting.

Or she could leave the child with her parents and go and work bar somewhere and send money home like a responsible Thai girl.......

SARCASM!!! bah.gif

Absolutly no evidence to suggest the child woke up or disturbed other students. I doubt the individual supervising the exam would have uploaded this picture if it had.

As all students in these schools pass, just by attending, and are guaranteed a place in a 'Rat' university on completion.

It hardly matters if anyone were disturbed or not.

PS

If baby did wake up, mum or the teacher would just take it outside for a walk, then back to the exam.

Hardly any restrictions on the goings on in non formal schools.

It's nothing like our expectations in the west.

About the only firm rule, is you wear the uniform for the exam, or they don't let you in.

PPS

Also no evidence to suggest she is a single mother.

For all we know she is married with dad at home (if a teen, she can be married).

My wife certainly was.

Hmm, you appear to have edited out the post I responded to and then made a series of comments that appear to have little to do with my post.

Care to explain why?

Edited by Bluespunk

Absolutly no evidence to suggest the child woke up or disturbed other students. I doubt the individual supervising the exam would have uploaded this picture if it had.

As all students in these schools pass, just by attending, and are guaranteed a place in a 'Rat' university on completion.

It hardly matters if anyone were disturbed or not.

PS

If baby did wake up, mum or the teacher would just take it outside for a walk, then back to the exam.

Hardly any restrictions on the goings on in non formal schools.

It's nothing like our expectations in the west.

About the only firm rule, is you wear the uniform for the exam, or they don't let you in.

PPS

Also no evidence to suggest she is a single mother.

For all we know she is married with dad at home (if a teen, she can be married).

My wife certainly was.

Hmm, you appear to have edited out the post I responded to and then made a series of comments that have nothing to do with my comment and by the end verge on the bizarre.

Care to explain why?

There was me thinking it was your posts that are bizarre.

You have made all sorts of assumptions about this non-story.

It isn't a high school student, she isn't attending high school, she isn't wearing a high school uniform, we don't know her marital status, or her age (teen could be 13 to 19)?

Why was baby being taken to class?

Because there was nobody at home to look after baby?

My baby went to school with mum because she was breast feeding baby.

Entirely normal for the non formal school system in Thailand.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

yes its great that she is with her child but an exam is not the place for a baby to be, as stated earlier the school needs to make allowances for mothers so the kids do not disturb others and the student can still take the test. While ear plugs block noise they also are not comfortable, when doing exams you need to be able to concentrate and not worry about anything else, a baby in the room is a big distraction, this is why the have workplace cre`ches, so the babies are not a distraction from what you need to do, a bit of common sense would go a long way

In a nanny state you would expect something like that, but Thailand doesn't supply school nannies.

And you are underestimating the Thai students and the amazing Thai education system. No one fails! They are brilliant.

They should be more concern about abortions and dumping babies in trashcan than complaining this poor girl. Yes, she made mistake and had unprotected sex. Mistake happened. There should be assistance to help put the baby in daycare so she can focus on finishing her education.

Good for her, the school and everyone involved.

This would usually never occur here due to loss of face of the school, teacher, parents etc. Thanks to social networking media it's now highlighting the land of perfection has many imperfections that need addressing rather than covering up.

No doubt she'll get some sort of reprimand for this.

I say good on this girl.

THere are plenty of teenage mums in Thailand who just leave the baby with Yai to look after and then get on their way and forget all about their responsibilities.

No doubt the feckless father is long gone.

I wish the girl good luck.

you see a pic of a young student and a baby to her, you read a story saying it's not uncommon that the school welcomes the young mothers and try to help. I couldn't find a word about the girl's family situation or the father of the baby as it's not relevant for this article yet you managed to come to the conclusion that the father has fled the scene and neglected his responsibilities.. Wow. I think you should join the RTP. probably the DSI.

I say good on this girl.

THere are plenty of teenage mums in Thailand who just leave the baby with Yai to look after and then get on their way and forget all about their responsibilities.

No doubt the feckless father is long gone.

I wish the girl good luck.

you see a pic of a young student and a baby to her, you read a story saying it's not uncommon that the school welcomes the young mothers and try to help. I couldn't find a word about the girl's family situation or the father of the baby as it's not relevant for this article yet you managed to come to the conclusion that the father has fled the scene and neglected his responsibilities.. Wow. I think you should join the RTP. probably the DSI.

Are there no people in the area where this brave girl lives (Pichit) who can offer some USEFUL help?

Someone who can help with breast feeding?

You have a dirty mind.

I meant for a few people, preferably including one or two ladies, to see if she needs any help, financial or otherwise. This brave girl may well be in big trouble and a little help from some kind souls could perhaps make her life a little easier. She is a human being, for god's sake!

I live far away but I would be willing to contribute a little if useful.