Thai tourists dump boxes of garbage at Swiss waterfall, netizens outraged

snoop1130

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any tourist spot in Thailand is full of rubbish. I cycle around the countryside of Chiang Mai every day: I see kilometre after kilometre of rubbish dumped by the side of the road in areas that could be beautiful. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to deduce that the Thais in Switzerland wanted to make this beauty spot just like home. Disgusting people.

Imagine the absolute outrage if the tourists happened to be Chinese...

Chinese don't eat Thai food. They bring their own as well.

Not strictly accurate. I've seen them descend on a 7/11 shop to buy pot-noodles, soon after arriving back at their hotel from a day out sightseeing.

Yes, there are 7/11's in China as well, so must be Chinese food they think. Besides you talk about noodles which is almost (South) Asia's first priority right?

Edited by hugocnx

Not surprised. Thais in general are not aware of littering. They do it everywhere. They learn this habit from their parents and then in school. They just love littering and leaving trash behind them. Just drive around and look at the surroundings being littered with plastic bags and whatever you name it. Just go to 7/11 and buy a pen which is in plastic, then go to the cashier and she will put that pen in plastic into another plastic bag. It's a plague for ... sake.

The main reason Thais do it is because there are not used to having litter bins around. Most 7-11s have them outside the main door, but a lot of them do not.

If I buy a can of 7up ( I don't like coke) and I finish drinking it, and there are no litter bins around, I am not going to keep walking around with it in my hand.

So I'm afraid the obvious answer is to leave it somewhere at the side of the pavement.

I've said many times, my #1 complaint about Thailand is the littering. It's just awful.

That's because there are hardly any litter bins around.

When do you ever see litter bins in a market for example.

Edited by possum1931

Absolute joke. Disrespecting anything, including your own appearance, is a Thai trait. Littering is a Thai trait. Lying and blaming others is a Thai trait.

The only reason the coach driver would get rid of the food boxes is to eradicate the stench but I cant see it somehow.

Imagine the noise the poor guy had to put up with stuck on a bus full of Thai tourists for 4 days.

Absolute joke. Disrespecting anything, including your own appearance, is a Thai trait. Littering is a Thai trait. Lying and blaming others is a Thai trait.

That's one of the biggest loads of bullshit I have ever read on Thaivisa.

Are you actually saying that most Thais are like that????

I also find it ridiculous that they evidently have to bring their own supplies of sticky rice and grilled pork from 8,000+ km away (the tag on the carton says BKK-ZRH), otherwise they probably would starve to death, because Swiss food is oh so terrible - not.

What about all those foreigners needing farang food.. is that different ?

They will go to MacDonalds for that.

I've never seen foreigners bringing fried potato's or steaks to Thailand to eat at a waterfall.

And foreigners (from Europe at least) stay 14-21 days, Thai visiting Europe stay maximum 4-5 days and they only sit in the bus all day long, they never speak to a local.

The best thing of travelling is eating different food, that would be cheesefondue, potatodishes, patisserie, meat in Switzerland. They want to be hi-so to go there and then bring sticky rice giggle.gifgigglem.gifclap2.gif Thai who want it cheap visit Chech republic or Bulgaria/Rumania.

They're upset about the Thai tourists littering but they have no problem with the Thai men peeing against the trees?

They certainly don't pee near their cars or trucks, they stand in the open space a few mts away where everyone can see them.

Thai people drop rubbish at home, at the roadside, even next to rubbish bins.

During this hot weather ice cream cart stopped outside.

I bought ice cream for f.i.l. and nephews.

All 3 of them dropped the wrappers on the floor next to the bin.

They do it at home so they will do it anywhere even Switzerland.

I also find it ridiculous that they evidently have to bring their own supplies of sticky rice and grilled pork from 8,000+ km away (the tag on the carton says BKK-ZRH), otherwise they probably would starve to death, because Swiss food is oh so terrible - not.

Is it any more rediculous than the posts i have read on TV were the all knowing farangs are bringing back suitcases of food to Thailand from their own countries ?

Yes! Or would you think that staying 4 days is the same as staying 4-14 months?

We had trouble with thai staff that came to our new offices in Singapore, All have gone even though pay was good, couldn't live without the easy littering & somtam boo-bah-la everyday lol.

I don't think they are actually conscious of the concept of litter or bins or tidy or organized in general.

I watch my MiL when she's here. Soon as she finishes with anything just puts it on the floor, where ever. Says she means to take it to the bin later, when convenient, not make special journey etc. Wifey rages at her - but does exactly the same. Kids now do it too. They see mam and gran, their teachers, classmates etc all do the same. And wonder why silly Farang comments about it.

Every Thai female I know has a house that looks like a jumble shop that has just been shaken up. And when they can't find something, which is often, they don't understand why and usually claim Farang has moved it.

All part of Thainess, that unique and lovable quality.

The only reason the coach driver would get rid of the food boxes is to eradicate the stench but I cant see it somehow.

Imagine the noise the poor guy had to put up with stuck on a bus full of Thai tourists for 4 days.

Why,they would all be asleep.

Thai people drop rubbish at home, at the roadside, even next to rubbish bins.

During this hot weather ice cream cart stopped outside.

I bought ice cream for f.i.l. and nephews.

All 3 of them dropped the wrappers on the floor next to the bin.

They do it at home so they will do it anywhere even Switzerland.

Did you actually think to tell them where to put it.Village kids come around to use my wifi, they know where the bins are,because i supplied them and told them.Same when a few workers come around later,no smoking and in the butt tin,on the road.

Probably because street food carts over there don't sell sticky rice and pork at the waterfalls. If they did, the Thais wouldn't need to take their own.

If you cannot survive on local food while on an overseas trip lasting a few days, you better should stay home. I think it's one of the great pleasures of traveling to explore and discover the local food.

You think.. ah cultural superiority raises its ugly head again. Different cultures different values, but of course white skinned people are always right. Thai religious rituals are ridiculed while Christians believed someone came back from the dead. All things that don't conform to OUR way of thinking is wrong. cheesy.gif Different does not mean wrong, shows actually that your quite inflexible yourself.

"Flexibility" in this case would involve the local Thais, IF they were the culprits, adapting themselves to the Swiss surroundings which, in 9,999 out of 10,000 involves noticing the pristine cleanliness in public spaces and respecting them.

Cultural superiority has nothing to do with it, and common decency (with regard to the littering) and -to borrow your own term- flexibility and open-mindedness (in case you were saying this in regard to exploring local food) has everything to do with it.

By the way you bizarrely bring religion and skin color into this, it's crystal clear that you are a card-carrying ควาย and I thank you for having alerted us on this forum to that fact.

They will go to MacDonalds for that.

I've never seen foreigners bringing fried potato's or steaks to Thailand to eat at a waterfall.

And foreigners (from Europe at least) stay 14-21 days, Thai visiting Europe stay maximum 4-5 days and they only sit in the bus all day long, they never speak to a local.

The best thing of travelling is eating different food, that would be cheesefondue, potatodishes, patisserie, meat in Switzerland. They want to be hi-so to go there and then bring sticky rice giggle.gifgigglem.gifclap2.gif Thai who want it cheap visit Chech republic or Bulgaria/Rumania.

Thai visiting Europe stay maximum 4-5 days and they only sit in the bus all day long, they never speak to a local.

You are showing your ignorance again. Take a look at a travel agent's page here to educate yourself. On average, 50% or more of the meals are European meals with only a few Asian / Thai meals thrown in.

Goodness gracious me such a fuss! I just went back for a visit to the UK where fly tipping goes on quite a lot in rural areas. As it does in every single country I've been to and I've lived in many.

It's good that they were caught but it's hardly a slight on the whole of Thailand's native population.

Absolute Cobblers in my opinion.

There's good and bad people in every country and they do tend to travel around.

If there is one very important thing in life I have learnt from moving around a lot that is be careful not to generalize. It usually comes across in cases like this as borderline racism.

And I know those of us who live in Thailand are not racist right? Otherwise we would have stayed home where everyone is perfect.

I know of many foreign tourists who prefer farang food, I actually never have met a foreign tourist who traveled with a suitcase full of farang food though.

I strongly dislike SE Asian food. Chinese, Korean and Japanese food is delicious, but Thai food (deserts excluded) and food from the region is generally awful and unhealthy due to how it is prepared. But that's just me.

I either cook my own or eat somewhat healthy Western food.

Any tourist spot in Thailand is full of rubbish. I cycle around the countryside of Chiang Mai every day: I see kilometre after kilometre of rubbish dumped by the side of the road in areas that could be beautiful. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to deduce that the Thais in Switzerland wanted to make this beauty spot just like home. Disgusting people.

100%, they even are aware of that and just don't care.

I know of many foreign tourists who prefer farang food, I actually never have met a foreign tourist who traveled with a suitcase full of farang food though.

You will have to dig a little, but there have been posts by TV members bleating on about how much stuff (food) they have brought back to Thailand
Yes, like myself I bring back a suitcase full of food and other items maybe once or twice a year from my home country. That is much different than someone bringing their own food when they go on vacation. You really can't see the difference?

Easy to track down the group, as the baggage tags will identify the owner of the boxes (passenger involved).

Interesting to note that there is a Thai Airways "Priority" tag attached, and these are only issued to Business Class passengers.

"Management sets example to all employees"

anyone star gold gets a priority tag, not just for business class.

That's one of the biggest loads of bullshit I have ever read on Thaivisa.

Are you actually saying that most Thais are like that????

There, there, while his post is utter rubbish, don't sell your own posts short.

You will have to dig a little, but there have been posts by TV members bleating on about how much stuff (food) they have brought back to Thailand
Yes, like myself I bring back a suitcase full of food and other items maybe once or twice a year from my home country. That is much different than someone bringing their own food when they go on vacation. You really can't see the difference?

There is no difference, both you and those Thais like food from your own country, so you take some with you.

The difference is that you're a farang immigrant and they're Thais on a business trip!

I think the posts on this thread do the individual Thai a disservice. The issue here is of a tour group herd mentality, essentially travel in a cultural bubble.

The anti litter ethos would not have had a chance to permeate as it would with just a couple or single traveller.

Many here seem to forget the ubiquitous ant- litter campaigns that were drilled into our own selves as we grew up. For the US and Canada the crying indian (yes I realize there are alternate terms), woosdy, give a hoot don't pollute, owl must ring a few bells.

I am sure the UK and Europe had similar campaigns.

Until such a time as education here takes on the issue, it is to be expected.

Sadly environmental issues dont rate high in Thailands heirarchy of needs. Wait 10 years, you will see an improvement. I have in my time here, but only with the young children of young parents.

Edited by HooHaa