Is it too late to stop the Donald Trump machine?

webfact

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The probability that Republican front-runner Donald Trump will win his party's presidential nomination,

dropped sharply in the past week while the likelihood of a brokered convention to potentially choose another candidate rose"

"Trump's probability of winning the nomination fell to 44 percent on Friday from 67 percent a week ago, according to the website, which is run by Victoria University in Wellington, New Zealand.

"The probability that the Republicans will have a brokered convention to decide the nominee for the Nov. 8 election jumped to 69 percent from 43 percent a week ago,

according to PredictIt, an online predictions market where users place money on who they think will win the election. Many users are from the United States."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-idUSKCN0WY55S

"The probability that Republican front-runner Donald Trump will win his party's presidential nomination,

dropped sharply in the past week while the likelihood of a brokered convention to potentially choose another candidate rose"

"Trump's probability of winning the nomination fell to 44 percent on Friday from 67 percent a week ago, according to the website, which is run by Victoria University in Wellington, New Zealand.

"The probability that the Republicans will have a brokered convention to decide the nominee for the Nov. 8 election jumped to 69 percent from 43 percent a week ago,

according to PredictIt, an online predictions market where users place money on who they think will win the election. Many users are from the United States."

Yes iReason I saw these numbers published yesterday.

I am not sure Trumps popularity within the Far Right Wing and also a very small minority of the general electorate is all that difficult to explain. Unfortunately there are people who are racist, homophobic, religious zealots, economic morons, xenophobic, bigoted, uneducated and violent (the hateful 8) and Trump has tapped into that. Finally they have a voice that represents their archaic miserable view of the world. There is a very good reason they are the silent minority. The majority simply don't want to be subjected to their hatreds and fearmongering. The 'establishment' that these minority object too is actually the established educated understanding that these minority views are toxic to a functioning progressive, liberal healthy democracy.

At all times once you step outside the 'hateful 8' minority Republican ideologies the vote tanks and the Trump machine comes to a shuddering derailment.

I am not sure Trumps popularity within the Far Right Wing and also a very small minority of the general electorate is all that difficult to explain. Unfortunately there are people who are racist, homophobic, religious zealots, economic morons, xenophobic, bigoted, uneducated and violent (the hateful 8) and Trump has tapped into that. Finally they have a voice that represents their archaic miserable view of the world. There is a very good reason they are the silent minority. The majority simply don't want to be subjected to their hatreds and fearmongering. The 'establishment' that these minority object too is actually the established educated understanding that these minority views are toxic to a functioning progressive, liberal healthy democracy.

At all times once you step outside the 'hateful 8' minority Republican ideologies the vote tanks and the Trump machine comes to a shuddering derailment.

Firstly, USA isn't a democracy. Secondly it seems you could qualify in the "Hateful 8".

Firstly, USA isn't a democracy. Secondly it seems you could qualify in the "Hateful 8".

True I think the democratic principles America was founded on have been usurped and undermined including key institutions. I find the minority Republican 'hateful 8' ideologies absolutely repugnant as do the vast majority of good and decent Americans. I welcome the accusation of being intolerant and fundamentally opposed to these views and the sooner they and Trump are expunged from public debate the better. For me the principles of the 'hateful 8' ideologies are destructive to civil society as Trumps campaign clearly shows.

True I think the democratic principles America was founded on have been usurped and undermined including key institutions. I find the minority Republican 'hateful 8' ideologies absolutely repugnant as do the vast majority of good and decent Americans. I welcome the accusation of being intolerant and fundamentally opposed to these views and the sooner they and Trump are expunged from public debate the better. For me the principles of the 'hateful 8' ideologies are destructive to civil society as Trumps campaign clearly shows.

The issue isn't just "Trump and his fanboyz"... it's also the issue with Clinton and Sanders "fanboyz" who do not understand even the most basic things like that free education isn't free.

Even though democracy is the best system we have invented, so far, on this pathetic excuse for a planet in the middle of nowhere it's flaws are blatantly obvious when people with an IQ of.. oh say... 80 have the same say when voting as people with an IQ of 125.

Trump should not have thrown a tantrum about Obama not releasing his. But we all know Obama's grades were impressive. He would not have become editor of the law review if he was dumb.

Trump on the other hand......we can only guess how poor his grades were.

He should also release his taxes.... But again, it would probably be quite unflattering.....

I'm afraid Obama's academic credentials are much more impressive than that. Everyone knows that to become the editor of the law review, you are usually the top student in that first year class, as well as President of the Journal 2nd year, and to top it off, was research assistant both 2nd and 3rd yrs to the legendary constitutional law scholar Lawrence Tribe (who Pres. Bill Clinton considered for nomination to US Supreme Court), the works of whom who every US law student must study.

I don't care much for Obama, but he must have been a truly impressive legal academic.

I think in this case, we maybe don't need to see his transcripts. laugh.png

How one did in university doesn't matter one bit after they have been in the real world for a few decades.

That said, Obama was either an Affirmative Action baby or got into university pretending to be a foreign student. Maybe both, but certainly one or the other.

I don't care what grades Obama or Trump got. Grades don't mean much in college accept for academic societies and staying off academic probation. The chief measure of the student is having gotten into the college in the first place. Take Harvard for example. 6% acceptance rate, 98% graduation rate. If you can get in, you will get through it.

Largely true, and though it is also true that Universities, including Harvard, did have to comply with affirmative action during the time Obama applied, they would never accept someone who intellectually could not complete the work, and that means a minimally acceptable LSAT score and GPA. To put that in perspective, any good law school is very difficult to get into, affirmative action or not. Harvard is among the most difficult to get into, affirmative action or not.

And, in any event, these are all moot points again. The fact that he made law review tells any lawyer immediately he was the smartest guy in the class, and if there is any question, the fact that a legal scholar like Tribe picked him to be his research assistant absolutely settles the question, period.

These guys who harp at this issue of his transcripts are just showing the rest of us how much formal education they have, and how much they understand academia. wink.png

And, as alluded to by you, and as mentioned above by other posters, who cares anyway? Some of the world's smartest, most successful, wealthiest guys I've ever met never finished high school - names you would instantly recognize reading Forbes. But they are all highly intelligent, and would do the homework on the issues to not appear like an idiot as Trump has done. They believe in preparation and hard work, not hype.

Obama never shies away from opining on things that many would see as beneath his office to even acknowledge publicly......especially at a summit attended by some 50 + world leaders

President Obama is being the opposite of Donald Trump, i.e., presidential and President. It is impossible Trump can be or will be either/both.

The world needs to know it is only the Republican party controlled by the brain scrabbled right that support and speak for the neutron brain of Donald Trump.

I expect that when I say President Obama is being responsible and that he has earned the respect and gratitude of the vast majority of Americans, the whingenut Obama haters will today devour more bandwidth attacking him than the total bandwidth I've used in all of the past month. smile.png

Yes, respect is correct

Personally, I'm slightly disappointed that he didn't use his first term mandate to greater effect. But, overall vastly superior to his predecessor in all respects

Maybe an American contributor could provide a list of achievements including overcoming the financial meltdown and Obamacare?

Publicus! Where are you when I need you?

Having been mentioned by name smile.png this poster welcomes pointing out he rarely engages in presenting lists. Data yes, charts yes, various other illustrations of the point, yes indeed. Lists however, hardly ever.

Lists are fine but there are other posters of either side who have their lists. Pro-Obama posters have their excellent lists while the Obama haters have their own lists. Again, lists are fine but it's sort of like a matchup of dueling banjos, i.,e., don't drop yours.

My presentation in respect of leadership consistently focuses on the fact Barack Obama is the Potus that the decisive majority of the American people wanted for the current time, its events and its circumstances, domestically and in external, foreign issues. Not everyone agrees all the time in everything President Obama has done, however, Americans elected him twice to be Potus 24/7 for eight complete years.

The man of the hour, as it were. Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

(It's now time again for the TVF ragtag right to to stumble out and to charge forward swords raised in a hollering tempest against President Barack Obama. Banzai !)

Edited by Publicus

Trump peaked too early, .....like 7 months too early. It's a tailspin from here on down to November.

That's the good news. The scary news is; it gives an opening to Cruz. If the Republican base wasn't so reactionary and angry, they might elect a decent fellow like Kasich. Plus Kasich would give HRC or Bernie tougher competition at the polls. As it stands now, either Cruz or Trump will be easy to beat because they're both so polarizing and divisive, Either one can only get strong support from around 20% of the electorate. Wavering Republicans may slide over (reluctantly) the the Democrat nominee, but it won't happen the other direction.

Edited by boomerangutang

You wrote, " The 1950's were a time of.......... Trump was a young fellow then, and it's natural for man to reminisce back to times when he was full of spunk, first romances, the elixir of youth."

Trump was 4 years old in 1950.biggrin.png

Perhaps English is your 2nd language. You'll notice I used the term; 1950's with an 's'. That's a decade (not a year) which started at the end of the 1940's, up until the 1960's. Trump was early teen at the end of the 50's. Old enough, during that decade to enjoy sock hops, soda fountains, first kisses, big cars with big fins, and other fun stuff. Like anyone, he probably has rosy memories of that time of his youth, and longs to re-live them, ....which would partly explain why he wants to take America back to the past. "Make America Great Again."

For the working man, this was a time when even someone working as a service station attendant could afford a modest home, a car, and take care of his family and see his children get a decent education. No pied piper, there. And for someone working in a developing industry, such as aerospace, or even in an established industry, such as automobiles, with unions that thought of American workers, instead of illegal aliens, for them, life would never be better. And, except for a brief flurry to support a ruling president in Lebanon, I don't remember the marines going anywhere to "take out" foreign leaders in the 1950s. Marines DID come to Thailand to prop up the government, but that was under Kennedy in the 1960s. And marines were used to invade the Dominican Republic, but that was under Johnson, another Democrat, and also in the 1960s. Of course, there was also the Kennedy-Johnson build up in Vietnam--again in the 1960s. Where else did you find the marines in the 50s, except Korea?

1948 to 1954 US Marines fight against tribal rebellions in Philippines.

1950 Independence rebellion crushed in Puerto Rico by US Marines

1951 thru '53, US intervention in Korean peninsula.

1953 CIA overthrows democratically elected leader in Iran

1954 US offers bombs to French army in Vietnam

1954 CIA invades Guatemala to save US corporation' properties there. Flies support bombers out of Nicaragua.

1958 US army and marines occupy parts of Lebanon to fight against rebels.

1958 China warned of military retaliation if it invaded Taiwan.

source

Trump peaked too early, .....like 7 months too early. It's a tailspin from here on down to November.

That's the good news. The scary news is; it gives an opening to Cruz. If the Republican base wasn't so reactionary and angry, they might elect a decent fellow like Kasich. Plus Kasich would give HRC or Bernie tougher competition at the polls. As it stands now, either Cruz or Trump will be easy to beat because they're both so polarizing and divisive, Either one can only get strong support from around 20% of the electorate. Wavering Republicans may slide over (reluctantly) the the Democrat nominee, but it won't happen the other direction.

^For sure, Kasich would be a reasonable candidate, and could very well become President if Hilary gets in double dutch with the FBI investigation before the election. One only hopes that all Republicans come to their senses and put a stop to this astonishing international embarrassment Orangutan-impersonating Trump.

Trump is suffering some reverses in the polls.

He is now expected to lose Wisconsin to Cruz, a state he had in the bag a few weeks ago.

AND.....

Even more surprisingly, his enormous lead in the New York polls, his home state, is being eaten away by both candidates and he now faces a realistic challenge from Kasich there.

Looks like finally the wheels, if not coming off, are looking very wobbly on the Trump bandwagon.

I'm afraid Obama's academic credentials are much more impressive than that. Everyone knows that to become the editor of the law review, you are usually the top student in that first year class, as well as President of the Journal 2nd year, and to top it off, was research assistant both 2nd and 3rd yrs to the legendary constitutional law scholar Lawrence Tribe (who Pres. Bill Clinton considered for nomination to US Supreme Court), the works of whom who every US law student must study.

I don't care much for Obama, but he must have been a truly impressive legal academic.

I think in this case, we maybe don't need to see his transcripts. laugh.png

How one did in university doesn't matter one bit after they have been in the real world for a few decades.

That said, Obama was either an Affirmative Action baby or got into university pretending to be a foreign student. Maybe both, but certainly one or the other.

Certainly! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk

Edited by Pinot

mopar71 post 743:

"Obama was either an Affirmative Action baby or got into university pretending to be a foreign student. Maybe both, but certainly one or the other."

Sometimes in these Trump threads posts are made which truly do show the intellect behind the typical Trump follower. Here in this statement is an assumption the university would NOT KNOW a person to be a foreigner or not.

University admin " Mr. Obama we see that you are a black man from the U.S. State of Hawaii are you trying to get into our school pretending to be a foreigner?"

Utterly ridiculous post #743.

Edited by grumpyoldman

The radical right never retires.

They've spent three score years and six trying to drag the USA back into the 1950s.

They've failed in every respect so it's been a tough row that they've felt compelled to hoe. Lost every major battle, issue, difference. Socially. Culturally. Demographically. Politically.

Obama's election in 2008 finally did 'em in as the weight of their rightwing contraption ground itself to its halt. So it's off to the junkyard with it on November 8th. Trump is their barking dog.

Three score six would be 1950. Sort of hard to take you back to something before it began. And there wasn't even a presidential election in 1950. In 1950, Harry Truman was just getting the US into the Korean War and developing the H-bomb. No wonder your posts sound so confused. You have a basic problem with arithmetic and logic.

Anyone who might want literal precision could read Abraham Lincoln. Short of that, the rhetorical "three score and six years ago" will have to suffice at TVF.

Referring to three score years ago (and six) underpins the point of my post, which is that.....

They've spent three score years and six trying to drag the USA back into the 1950s.

They've failed in every respect so it's been a tough row that they've felt compelled to hoe. Lost every major battle, issue, difference. Socially. Culturally. Demographically. Politically.

Obama's election in 2008 finally did 'em in as the weight of their rightwing contraption ground itself to its halt. So it's off to the junkyard with it on November 8th. Trump is their barking dog.

You wrote, " The 1950's were a time of.......... Trump was a young fellow then, and it's natural for man to reminisce back to times when he was full of spunk, first romances, the elixir of youth."

Trump was 4 years old in 1950.biggrin.png

Perhaps English is your 2nd language. You'll notice I used the term; 1950's with an 's'. That's a decade (not a year) which started at the end of the 1940's, up until the 1960's. Trump was early teen at the end of the 50's. Old enough, during that decade to enjoy sock hops, soda fountains, first kisses, big cars with big fins, and other fun stuff. Like anyone, he probably has rosy memories of that time of his youth, and longs to re-live them, ....which would partly explain why he wants to take America back to the past. "Make America Great Again."

For the working man, this was a time when even someone working as a service station attendant could afford a modest home, a car, and take care of his family and see his children get a decent education. No pied piper, there. And for someone working in a developing industry, such as aerospace, or even in an established industry, such as automobiles, with unions that thought of American workers, instead of illegal aliens, for them, life would never be better. And, except for a brief flurry to support a ruling president in Lebanon, I don't remember the marines going anywhere to "take out" foreign leaders in the 1950s. Marines DID come to Thailand to prop up the government, but that was under Kennedy in the 1960s. And marines were used to invade the Dominican Republic, but that was under Johnson, another Democrat, and also in the 1960s. Of course, there was also the Kennedy-Johnson build up in Vietnam--again in the 1960s. Where else did you find the marines in the 50s, except Korea?

1948 to 1954 US Marines fight against tribal rebellions in Philippines.

1950 Independence rebellion crushed in Puerto Rico by US Marines

1951 thru '53, US intervention in Korean peninsula.

1953 CIA overthrows democratically elected leader in Iran

1954 US offers bombs to French army in Vietnam

1954 CIA invades Guatemala to save US corporation' properties there. Flies support bombers out of Nicaragua.

1958 US army and marines occupy parts of Lebanon to fight against rebels.

1958 China warned of military retaliation if it invaded Taiwan.

source

Try reading your own original post again, which you omitted in your reply. "It [the 1950s] was a time when US marines were sent places to take out foreign leaders which weren't to the liking of US leaders." (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/903631-is-it-too-late-to-stop-the-donald-trump-machine/page-30#entry10598151) Interesting that you characterize the UN role in Korea as an American "intervention." I see you are of the Kilm Il Sung school of history. Otherwise, you change topic and start talking about the CIA, instead of "marines sent places to take out foreign leaders." BTW, Puerto Rico, unfortunately, is a U.S. territory and not "foreign." As for the Philippines, which you mention above, no marines there either, although the Soviets did supply weapons to the Huks. You really need to find a source other than Evergreen, which is a nutbag institution that has no curriculum and gives out no grades, just "evaluations." All of which probably explains how your source, again, Evergreen, also describes World War II as a "US intervention." What you are doing is less providing historical context than regurgitating an episode of The X-Files. I suggest that the anti-Trump hysteria shift back to spamming political cartoons and videos, rather than attempting real historical analysis.

mopar71 post 743:

"Obama was either an Affirmative Action baby or got into university pretending to be a foreign student. Maybe both, but certainly one or the other."

Sometimes in these Trump threads posts are made which truly do show the intellect behind the typical Trump follower. Here in this statement is an assumption the university would NOT KNOW a person to be a foreigner or not.

University admin " Mr. Obama we see that you are a black man from the U.S. State of Hawaii are you trying to get into our school pretending to be a foreigner?"

Not just ridiculous, but definitely reminiscent of good, old fashioned racism as well. You know.... Because obviously a black man could not get into Harvard based on merit alone..... He either got a hand out or lied.....

Three score six would be 1950. Sort of hard to take you back to something before it began. And there wasn't even a presidential election in 1950. In 1950, Harry Truman was just getting the US into the Korean War and developing the H-bomb. No wonder your posts sound so confused. You have a basic problem with arithmetic and logic.

Anyone who might want literal precision could read Abraham Lincoln. Short of that, the rhetorical "three score and six years ago" will have to suffice at TVF.

Referring to three score years ago (and six) underpins the point of my post, which is that.....

I do expect some degree of precision--without the need, for some reason, to read Lincoln in order to make sense of your post. A sincere wish that something is so, does not make it so.

Heh...and Obama's 'Foreign Policy' is repleat with successes? laugh.png

Obama and Hillary are tied for successes.......zero.

You guys go to Wharton too? That hotbed of academia is showing through !

Hamas ceasefire ? Do you guys even know what Hamas is?

Sanctions against Iran which worked and now have them coming back into the middle east political scene (and we need good relations with them for many reasons which will be tough for me to explain to you Wharton geniuses, you guys will want to concentrate on getting nukes to Japan).

Reestablishing relations with Cuba? That will lead to better relations with Venezuela.

I don't believe you guys have a clue of what you are saying.

Sanctions against Iran which worked and now have them coming back into the middle east political scene (and we need good relations with them for many reasons which will be tough for me to explain to you Wharton geniuses, you guys will want to concentrate on getting nukes to Japan).

Reestablishing relations with Cuba? That will lead to better relations with Venezuela.

Ah, an analysis worthy of George F. Kennan! Has the State Department recruited you into their administrative echelons yet?

Obama never shies away from opining on things that many would see as beneath his office to even acknowledge publicly......especially at a summit attended by some 50 + world leaders

President Obama is being the opposite of Donald Trump, i.e., presidential and President. It is impossible Trump can be or will be either/both.

The world needs to know it is only the Republican party controlled by the brain scrabbled right that support and speak for the neutron brain of Donald Trump.

I expect that when I say President Obama is being responsible and that he has earned the respect and gratitude of the vast majority of Americans, the whingenut Obama haters will today devour more bandwidth attacking him than the total bandwidth I've used in all of the past month. smile.png

Yes, respect is correct

Personally, I'm slightly disappointed that he didn't use his first term mandate to greater effect. But, overall vastly superior to his predecessor in all respects

Maybe an American contributor could provide a list of achievements including overcoming the financial meltdown and Obamacare?

Publicus! Where are you when I need you?

Having been mentioned by name smile.png this poster welcomes pointing out he rarely engages in presenting lists. Data yes, charts yes, various other illustrations of the point, yes indeed. Lists however, hardly ever.

Lists are fine but there are other posters of either side who have their lists. Pro-Obama posters have their excellent lists while the Obama haters have their own lists. Again, lists are fine but it's sort of like a matchup of dueling banjos, i.,e., don't drop yours.

My presentation in respect of leadership consistently focuses on the fact Barack Obama is the Potus that the decisive majority of the American people wanted for the current time, its events and its circumstances, domestically and in external, foreign issues. Not everyone agrees all the time in everything President Obama has done, however, Americans elected him twice to be Potus 24/7 for eight complete years.

The man of the hour, as it were. Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

(It's now time again for the TVF ragtag right to to stumble out and to charge forward swords raised in a hollering tempest against President Barack Obama. Banzai !)

Now repeat that about Bush, he was elected twice as well.

mopar71 post 743:

Not just ridiculous, but definitely reminiscent of good, old fashioned racism as well. You know.... Because obviously a black man could not get into Harvard based on merit alone..... He either got a hand out or lied.....

Obama isn't black.

Yes because "Chamberlainism" always work so wonderfully well right?

mopar71 post 743:

Obama isn't black.

Black father... Therefore half black. Better? And you know my response was directed at the affirmative action claim, something he would not even be eligible for if not black..... So please don't play dumb...... Huge waste of everyone's time.

Are you arrogant enough to tell a Luk Krung they are not Asian if that is how they identify?

Edited by inbangkok