Work Permit to Retirement

I plan to do this in country. If it all goes horribly wrong then I go to Vietiane, show my passport (over 50), show my Thai bankbook (over 800.000), and get a non immigration O for retirement, no problem right? Then I just start the application process again in Thailand. I need a need a plan B cos all my assets (human and financial) are in Thailand, and given the new rather draconian overstay provisions, I need to get this right. My major concern is the day your work permit is cancelled you have to leave, which doesn't leave a lot of room for mucking about.

You can get a 7 day extension when they cancel the work based extension if they won't do the change to retirement. 1,900 baht I believe.

You should be able to convert to retirement based extension. I did it two years ago. Main complication for me was I used a different immigration office for the retirement extention and that caused a small issue that was worked out.

TH

It worked out fine Thaihome - work extension to retirement extension future dated. The IO sorted out the WP issue with the other Immigration Office over the phone. It probably helped that I went in beforehand to prepare the ground, and was dealt with by the same IO on both occasions. I must admit I was expecting problems, and was very relieved, surprised, when it all went so smoothly.

• Like 1