Horrific bus crash in Korat leaves 4 dead, 25 injured, driver flees the scene

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish all buses were fitted with retractable seat belts that actually fit folks from the West. Most buses that are currently fitted with seat belts are too short, most are behind the seats, wrapped around frames and not accessible. They also should be inspected periodically and maintained. It shouldn't be hard to enforce this. Passengers die from other passengers flying around striking them.

When oh when will the Thai government wake up and require all buses fitted with speed limiters, to stop this daily carnage.

Or when will the Thai step up and tell those drivers to drive according the trafficlaws? It seems they don't care at all.

You are transferring Western concepts to a non-Western society. Doesn't work.

Point of being in authority here is to line your own pocket, elevate your social status and your family's and to create an invisible protection shield against any form of attack, legal, physical, financial, you name it.

This applies to all those with power, politicians, police, civil servants, military, anyone who could improve this appalling road safety record.

......they are quite happy to drive on Western engineered roads and drive Western engineered motor vehicles and still refer to the Road Traffic Laws as 'guidelines'...all about education.

Yes, all that is Western--the engineering, the equipment, even the laws.

The thing that is NOT Western, is the fact that the average adult driving a vehicle on the roads (especially outside Bangkok) was herding a buffalo less than 20 years ago--and still behaving the same way behind the wheel--most of them without any driver's education, and many without even a license.

I've lost count of the Thai people I personally know who drive on the roads without any license. An equal number don't bother to license their vehicle yearly. Also lost count of the number of primary school age children I regularly see driving motorbikes on the public highways.

First-world trappings overlaying a third-world culture. With that kind of mismatch (tolerated or overlooked by the powers that be), and creating serious tension, there comes a breaking point. Ergo: carnage on the highways.

Edited by Fookhaht

I wish all buses were fitted with retractable seat belts that actually fit folks from the West. Most buses that are currently fitted with seat belts are too short, most are behind the seats, wrapped around frames and not accessible. They also should be inspected periodically and maintained. It shouldn't be hard to enforce this. Passengers die from other passengers flying around striking them.

As said....doesn't matter if the belts aren't attached/fitted to anything worthwhile

I spoke to a minivan driver recently who speaks almost fluent English.

He told me he drives between Korat and Buriram 5 times a day. Each trip takes 2,5 hours PLUS a 30 minute break between arriving and departing. That's 15 hours a day. Then, at the end of his shift he has to clean and wash the minibus. Let's assume that takes an additional 30 minutes. That's now 15,5 hours per day working/at work. That leaves him 8,5 hours/day to sleep/rest/unwind. He works 28 days per month!!

I belive that that's the main reason for so many of these accidents. The drivers (bus, minivan, lorry, etc.) are simply exhausted. No human being can work these hours month after month without their concentration drifting.

Pay them more so that they DON'T HAVE to work those kinds of hours just to make a living.

You believe everything he told you?

Actually I can believe that.

Look at the example of the crews of many of the Chiang Rai - Bangkok buses. Night 1, two drivers share the driving for 12 hours Chiang Rai to Bangkok. When they're not driving they are sitting (dozing) in the cab, They then spend the day trying to rest on board the bus parked on a piece of waste ground near Mo Chit bus station. Dozing/sleeping in an extremely hot bus parked up in a in a noisy environment. They then repeat the journey back up to Chiang Rai. A day to rest and then they're off again. If they have 1 day a week off, then they're on this routine 6 days out of 7. They must be on their chinstraps half of the time.

I believe that one or two of the more responsible companies provide rest facilities for their crew in Bangkok, but many (most) don't.

Is it likely that the brakes would stop working on a big bus like that? how are they designed? anyone knows? As I understand the brakes are air brakes, with two systems, one for parking and one for driving, the one for parking are applied by springs normally and is opened only when air pressure is applied i.e. when the compressor is running. The other system is normally open and is brakes when pressure is applied, i.e. driver operates the brake pedal.

One would think if the air pressure disappears by some malfunction, the parking brakes will apply automatically?

From wiki:"most countries require additional training and licensing in order to legally drive any vehicle using an air brake system"

Edited by AlQaholic

He told me he drives between Korat and Buriram 5 times a day. Each trip takes 2,5 hours PLUS a 30 minute break between arriving and departing. That's 15 hours a day. Then, at the end of his shift he has to clean and wash the minibus. Let's assume that takes an additional 30 minutes. That's now 15,5 hours per day working/at work. That leaves him 8,5 hours/day to sleep/rest/unwind. He works 28 days per month!!

I belive that that's the main reason for so many of these accidents. The drivers (bus, minivan, lorry, etc.) are simply exhausted. No human being can work these hours month after month without their concentration drifting.

Pay them more so that they DON'T HAVE to work those kinds of hours just to make a living.

You believe everything he told you?

Usually I don't believe everything I'm told, but this guy I do believe.

Introduction of tachographs would go a long way to sorting that problem.

the other thing about long hours is that drivers are all tempted to use "speed" to keep them going.......eventually their judgement and reason gets impaired.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Is it likely that the brakes would stop working on a big bus like that? how are they designed? anyone knows? As I understand the brakes are air brakes, with two systems, one for parking and one for driving, the one for parking are applied by springs normally and is opened only when air pressure is applied i.e. when the compressor is running. The other system is normally open and is brakes when pressure is applied, i.e. driver operates the brake pedal.

One would think if the air pressure disappears by some malfunction, the parking brakes will apply automatically?

From wiki:"most countries require additional training and licensing in order to legally drive any vehicle using an air brake system"

Fade has been mentioned - that is a gradual process, but the driver would have noticed and there would probably be some warning. The brake system itself in the case of failure would just slam all the brakes on which is the "resting" position for air brakes.

I had a car in Oz - a Ford and the brake fade on that was abysmal, but apart from the progressive lack of braking, the smell told you something was up.

Fade has been mentioned - that is a gradual process, but the driver would have noticed and there would probably be some warning. The brake system itself in the case of failure would just slam all the brakes on which is the "resting" position for air brakes.

I had a car in Oz - a Ford and the brake fade on that was abysmal, but apart from the progressive lack of braking, the smell told you something was up.

Unlikely brake fade on the flat country, in the mountains yes it happens with inexperienced drivers-- unless of course he had his foot on the brake pedal which was slightly activating the brakes.

But at the end the day Who knows and who cares except TV members.

What about all passengers get a special air bag that covers the entire body? I have seen a test of motorbike drivers wearing air bags like this that will protect them in accidents. Someone would make a fortune selling them in Thailand. But only to foreigners of course, Thais are already blessed and protected by Buddha.

Edited by balo

Road accidents are acceptable in Thailand, according to the governments policies.

true it files under: "family planning" coffee1.gif

if i would get 5 thb for every suicide "VIP" bus i have seen chasing (>110km/h) on the non-existent 3rd lane on pethkasem near my place i would be a rich man.

Edited by stickylies

I was an international truck and coach driver during 13 years from 1971 to 1983 ;

I remember when working in a very good company which doesn't exist since a long time :

Estournet Freres in Montreuil sous Bois, close Paris, France ;

Some drivers were all the time on roads with actors or singers, all over Europe;

Me, I preferred to stay inside Paris and its suburbs but I did sometimes some beautiful big journey .( with John Mac Laughlin, for example )

What the minibus driver say is what we did , 40 years ago, but we had the tachygraph;

so 15 hrs , and sometimes more hours a day was common if only inside Paris , beginning at 8 or 9 am , going to Orly or Roissy to pick clients and take them to their hotels ;

coming back to our society , waiting for something else to do in the afternoon and very often a night tour in Paris ( minimum 4 hrs ) or taking clients from their hotels to go the Lido, The Folies Bergeres, Le Crazy Horse ..;

coming bach at the garage; it was between 1 and 2 am and the day isn't finished, we had to clean the coach before coming back home...

When an international trucker I remember the biggest days were maximum 10 hours behind the wheel and the others between 5 and 6 .

I remember I went many times to England; I liked to go there; at that period, the max load for big trucks was 32 tons ( 17 tons load ) ! so with my Volvo F89, it was like there was nearly nothing in the lorry cheesy.gif ; and 60 miles/h on the motorways ;

I liked very much the special services for truckers on motorways;

It's a long time ago, now ...wai2.gif

For any one interested here are 2 lengthy but precise investigations undertake in NSW of fatal bus crashes, Thai people can only hope that the Thai government would ever undertake such investigation as a means to end road carnage.

Interestingly, I also looked at causes of accidents resulting in fatalities for heavy transport vehicles, the breakdown shows brake failure accounts for 16% of all causes whereas from what you read it seems to be 100% for Thailand.

http://www.otsi.nsw.gov.au/bus/IR-Jamberoo-final.pdf

http://www.otsi.nsw.gov.au/bus/Investigation-Report-Mini-Bus-Accident-Barrengarry-Nature-Reserve.pdf

Enjoy the read if interested.

Edited by Artisi

For any one interested here are 2 lengthy but precise investigations undertake in NSW of fatal bus crashes, Thai people can only hope that the Thai government would ever undertake such investigation as a means to end road carnage.

Interestingly, I also looked at causes of accidents resulting in fatalities for heavy transport vehicles, the breakdown shows brake failure accounts for 16% of all causes whereas from what you read it seems to be 100% for Thailand.

http://www.otsi.nsw.gov.au/bus/Investigation-Report-Mini-Bus-Accident-Barrengarry-Nature-Reserve.pdf

"Several people called to the driver to slow down while at the same time a strong acrid smell was becoming evident inside the coach. One of the passengers, a retired police officer, stated afterwards that the smell was that of burning brakes. "

This is the 5th of the 5 "e"s - evaluation - a keystone to any road safety policy. In Thailand this appears to be replaced in most cases by a series of inane uneducated guesswork by thew local police who throw out various statements to the press that are pure speculation, fabrication or miscalculation...........

...and Australia doesn't even have a very good road safety record.....but compared to Thailand.....

Edited by cumgranosalum

Exactly what I did with other people when working as a volunteer in France ;

I was IDSR at the Prefecture of Paris

The link is in french

http://eduscol.education.fr/education-securite-routiere/spip.php?mot88

Thank you Artisi wai.gif