Guarantee of Address - Drivers License & Annual Visa Renewal - Help

So it looks like another curve ball without warning or notice. Any help and/or suggestions would be great.

The Immigration Police stopped issuing "Guarantees of Address" yesterday. Go figure. Without it, I'm unable to renew my Driver's License and my Annual Retirement Visa. When asked, the Immigration Police said I should contact my lawyer. When asked, the Transportation Officer said I should contact my Embassy.

My landlord of 3 years refuses to register her home as a rental. I've been forced into using the Immigration Police to issue a Guarantee of Address in order to get my Retirement Visa and Drivers License. Now they are both up for renewal and I have no way to do it.

Anybody have any ideas why the law changed and/or what if any way there is to get this done?

Thanks in advance.

What immigration office are wring about.

There is no guarantee of address issued anywhere that I know of. Perhaps a certificate of residence issued by an immigration office.

What you need is proof of residence to apply for your extension. Your landlord does not have to do a registration for you to have that. You just need a rental agreement with a copy of their house book and ID card attached.

What immigration office are wring about.

There is no guarantee of address issued anywhere that I know of. Perhaps a certificate of residence issued by an immigration office.

What you need is proof of residence to apply for your extension. Your landlord does not have to do a registration for you to have that. You just need a rental agreement with a copy of their house book and ID card attached.

I've taken the rental agreement along with a copy of the landlord's id and her house registration since day 1 when I first applied for my extension of stay based on retirement. Each and every time the Surat Thani Immigration office said the house isn't registered as a rental. They even suggested I register the house as a rental myself after I explained the landlord refused to do it.

I visited the Samui Immigration Police and they provided the letter that allowed me to obtain my drivers license and get my initial visa and consequent renewals and also my drivers license. Now, I'm stuck without the ability to get this document. What I showed the Samui Immigration police was a copy of my lease, the ID of the landlord and a copy of her house registration. Now, in spite of all of this they still say the stopped processing these letters yesterday.

This is a copy of the same letter but for my wife.

post-181872-0-69218600-1458280783_thumb.

• Like 1

That is a certificate of residence. Some offices do not issue them. If you cannot get one from immigration you could get one from your embassy to renew your drivers license. There are a few locations now where the drivers license office is giving people a form to be signed and stamped by immigration perhaps that is the reason they said no in Samui.

Surat Thani is asking that your landlord register to do a report of your presence online. You could ask them to complete a TM30 form to give to immigration. Download: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately, the landlord won't do anything and I mean nothing. The transportation department on Samui and in Surat both offered no form. The immigration police told me today that as of yesterday they stopped issuing the certificate. Seems a bit of a drag to have to fly to bkk to visit the embassy only to return to my province to renew things... especially a drivers license. Oh boy the joy.

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately, the landlord won't do anything and I mean nothing. The transportation department on Samui and in Surat both offered no form. The immigration police told me today that as of yesterday they stopped issuing the certificate. Seems a bit of a drag to have to fly to bkk to visit the embassy only to return to my province to renew things... especially a drivers license. Oh boy the joy.

Does the landlord understand that by refusing to report your presence using the TM30 s/he risks being fined ?

The form is just a notification of you (a foreigner ) living in the accommodation. It has nothing to do with registering the property as a "rental" !

Does the landlord understand that by refusing to report your presence using the TM30 s/he risks being fined ?

The form is just a notification of you (a foreigner ) living in the accommodation. It has nothing to do with registering the property as a "rental" !

If she does realize it she must be betting on the fact that she has little chance of getting fined than I do of having problems getting my documents renewed. It's wearing on me to say the least.

As ubonjoe has stated, the best place to go, in your situation, may be the embassy.

I understand that a trip to Bangkok is a pain (distance, time and inconvenience) but must sometimes be endured. (No, I'm not being sarcastic as I understand that not everyone lives within an easy taxi fare's ride of Sukhumvit.)

I can only comment on the ease of receiving 'proof of address' from the Australian embassy but, I assume, other embassies would have an easy procedure.

The Australian embassy provides a laminated pink example template. I simply copied the information from the sample form onto the blank 'proof of address' form, inserting my own details, handed the form in (with the proscribed fee - I don't remember the charge but it's included in the list of fees displayed on the wall) and, within several minutes, the form was returned to me with all the 'official' stamps and signatures.

The Australian embassy did not request (nor did I provide) any proof that the address existed nor any evidence that I was staying at the address I entered on the form. In the case of my Thai driving licence, the person completing the paperwork at the land transport office looked up the address on the computer to ensure that it was correct. (As there were three similar addresses, he turned the screen around and asked me to confirm which was the correct one.)

Edited by Stray
  • Like 1

If she does realize it she must be betting on the fact that she has little chance of getting fined than I do of having problems getting my documents renewed. It's wearing on me to say the least.

Perhaps it is time to inform her that if she does not do it you will have to move. Maybe she will then comply with the immigration act.

Thanks again Joe and thank you, Stray.

@Stray... How long was your "proof of address" from the Aus Embassy valid and is it a single use original only?

@Joe... I'm seriously debating it or trying to figure out how to build my own house faster. She's inspiring if nothing else. =p

Thanks again Joe and thank you, Stray.

@Stray... How long was your "proof of address" from the Aus Embassy valid and is it a single use original only?

@Joe... I'm seriously debating it or trying to figure out how to build my own house faster. She's inspiring if nothing else. =p

The 'proof of address' form was valid for 30 days and was single use, i.e., the land transport office took it and did not return it when I applied for my driving licences.

If you require more than one copy of the form, I assume, you will have to fill out several copies of the form and pay the fee for each copy.