Industrial Masks to protect health in burning season

AlexRich

Can't help you much with regards to availability. But ask for N95 masks. Or FFP-2 masks (that's Euro standard I think). There is an expiry date in which you'd need to check, but for current levels, that doesn't really matter much esp for haze.

It's actually one of the better years so far. By all means keep an eye on things, but it's not too bad. (and I'm someone who goes for a holiday when it does get bad.)

Thanks for the feedback. I heard that it clears up before Songkran so I only have a few weeks to be concerned about. If it continues to be clear then I won't worry to much about a mask.

I bought a 3M mask and filters online from Banggood. It wasn't expensive but I can't remember exactly how much.

As has already been said it is not the worst burning season we've had but it may not clear up in time for Songkran unless there is some rain.

It's actually one of the better years so far. By all means keep an eye on things, but it's not too bad. (and I'm someone who goes for a holiday when it does get bad.)

Thanks for the feedback. I heard that it clears up before Songkran so I only have a few weeks to be concerned about. If it continues to be clear then I won't worry to much about a mask.

It is as Winnie said not that bad so far. Yet it is most assuredly here. It is actually a point of view.

I have seen people claiming it starts in December and ends in June.

Not been my experience but then again maybe they are more sensitive to pollution than I am.

The traffic year round here in Chiang Mai creates air pollution but for most of us it is not a concern.

The burning season is not as bad as being around so-called "smokers" who feel it is their god given right to foist cigarette smoke on all and sundry. At least for me. And being very active the typical traffic smoke/exhaust in Bangkok is worse. I once walked from Silom road to Sukhumvit and I have never blown more black crap out my nose. Perhaps walking around all day in in Hong Kong is worse, where eyes and throat literally burn from exhaust fumes.

Do not want to mimimize the health effects of the burning season but it it is impossible to predict what the increased mortality or disease will be for any one person. Unless you stay in sealed room for months you will be taking an abnormal amount of particulate matter into your lungs , It is certainly not healthful.

That being said some people are bothered more than others. I find it to be more like a bad smell, it never goes away even at night, and is accompanied by the blistering heat of the season which makes daytime outdoor activities unpleasant. I still ride bicycles a couple hours a day with no burning throat or eyes, and I have not used masks.

Cigarette smoke is much much worse.

Don't know if the OP is bothered by the burning season or has ever experienced it but if so it would be better to not come to Chiang Mai or anywhere in the North until it is over.

The burning season is not as bad as being around so-called "smokers" who feel it is their god given right to foist cigarette smoke on all and sundry. At least for me. And being very active the typical traffic smoke/exhaust in Bangkok is worse. I once walked from Silom road to Sukhumvit and I have never blown more black crap out my nose. Perhaps walking around all day in in Hong Kong is worse, where eyes and throat literally burn from exhaust fumes.

Do not want to mimimize the health effects of the burning season but it it is impossible to predict what the increased mortality or disease will be for any one person. Unless you stay in sealed room for months you will be taking an abnormal amount of particulate matter into your lungs , It is certainly not healthful.

That being said some people are bothered more than others. I find it to be more like a bad smell, it never goes away even at night, and is accompanied by the blistering heat of the season which makes daytime outdoor activities unpleasant. I still ride bicycles a couple hours a day with no burning throat or eyes, and I have not used masks.

Don't know if the OP is bothered by the burning season or has ever experienced it but if so it would be better to not come to Chiang Mai or anywhere in the North until it is over.

I was in Kuala Lumpur for one month last year and the pollution and haze was terrible; I was ill within three days and barely recovered before it came back again. So I am wary of haze after that experience. But as some have commented the situation in Chiang Mai may not be that bad in 2016, so it may not be an issue. The AQI indicators have been "moderate" ... I suspect that Kuala Lumpur was much worse than this as visibility was very poor.

Agree. I came back from Vietnam on Wednesday expecting Doi Suthep would be invisible, and was pleasantly surprised.

Another thing to consider is the ones who are more susceptible are probably getting older.

I know for my self that it is affecting my eyes more than it did 5 years ago. It is still not as bad

as in previous years and gullible old me is hoping for a better future now that the government

has called for a solution in 5 different countries in SE Asia

Agreed.

Also they have no idea of the damage they are doing to their lungs and old friend of mine is dying in the hospital bad heart which some

sort of machine helps but only 10% use of his lungs. A 10 foot walk and he has to rest.

As for KL last year I think they were affected by the fire in Indonesia last year

i was with a couple of friends the other night at the busy Malin student market having a beer when in walks about 5 or 6 falangs about 24ish years old - probably digital nomad types. they were all wearing these masks with canisters on both sides, looking like they were in Iraq or someplace avoiding mustard gas. suddenly all heads turned towards them and stared at them. they apparently felt self-conscious (and they appeared surprised they were the only ones with such contraption). soon the masks came down and they had them hanging on their necks.

Archived