Curry Pastes

mrmazinkle

Would like to get recommmendations for where to buy, and, the best curry pastes available.Geng Panaeng,Matsamun,Yellow curry,Red curry pastes.Preferably Packaged to take back to UK.Also would like to get an alternative to using coconut milk.Would also like to know how long they would last at home in UK.Sorry so long winded first time poster...I appreciate you input.. :o

Look in the spices area of supermarkets.

There are packs of Lobo, Mae Ploy and Nam Jai brand curry pastes for about 11 Baht per pack.

Lobo and Mae Ploy brands have a shelf life of 2 years.

I prefer the clear packets from Nam Jai but the shelf life is 1 year.

I like coconut milk so can't offer an alternative.

If you are going to the UK, don't worry, many types available. Mae Ploy is my favourite (though not as cheap as in Thailand) and keeps for years. It doesn't last years in my house! You can get red, green, mussaman, penang, yellow, etc. In my local Asian food shop they cost £1.20 per 400 gram tub! Cheap by UK standards.

Coconut milk has no alternative. You can of course water it down by 50-50 if you are worried about calories. It's also possible to buy low-fat varities. So if it's not calories, what's the problem with coconut milk?

Yeah you can buy them in every asian grocery store throughout the world but they are very average. My wife refuses to use them as she says they are mai aroy. She makes her own curry paste in a large quantity and refrigerates what she doesn't use. It lasts for a couple of weeks. It really tastes better than the canned stuff.

The Mae Ploy is the exact stuff you get in Thailand! It's excellent. I used to make my own curry paste until I discovered it. If you have not yet tried it, try it and see.

Yes, I know it's the same as in Thailand and it probably is very good but I guess it's just what you're used to. My wife would not use it in Thailand and she does not use it in Aus ( except for masaman and Karee which only I eat ). She has told me that it does not taste anything like the curry paste that you get in Nakhon Si Thammarat, not strong enough and missing some flavours, and she just refuses to use it.

As for the coconut milk, Mae Ploy is her favourite brand followed by Aroy-D and Chao Koh. Every other brand she has tried is not as good.

Roy

The Mae Ploy is the exact stuff you get in Thailand! It's excellent. I used to make my own curry paste until I discovered it. If you have not yet tried it, try it and see.

Yes, I know it's the same as in Thailand and it probably is very good but I guess it's just what you're used to. My wife would not use it in Thailand and she does not use it in Aus ( except for masaman and Karee which only I eat ). She has told me that it does not taste anything like the curry paste that you get in Nakhon Si Thammarat, not strong enough and missing some flavours, and she just refuses to use it.

As for the coconut milk, Mae Ploy is her favourite brand followed by Aroy-D and Chao Koh. Every other brand she has tried is not as good.

Roy

Interesting that she even has coconut milk choices, they are all pretty much the same here in the UK - although there is on called 'Bart' which you can sometimes get which is much thicker and that is my favourite.

Would like to get recommmendations for where to buy, and, the best curry pastes available.Geng Panaeng,Matsamun,Yellow curry,Red curry pastes.Preferably Packaged to take back to UK.Also would like to get an alternative to using coconut milk.Would also like to know how long they would last at home in UK.Sorry so long winded first time poster...I appreciate you input.. :o

As an alternative to using coconut milk you could try condensed milk or evaporated milk.These come in cans from your local supermarket but I would suggest getting the unsweetened type. You could also try putting natural yoghurt in your curries. My wife has also seen an ad for a product made by a company called , 4 care or for care or four care ( not sure of the spelling) that has a substitute for coconut milk that is made from yellow beans. It is supposed to be a healthy substitute as it is low in fat content. I have not seen this product in Sydney but it should be everywhere in Thai supermarkets.

I just found the website for this last product www.4care.co.th Check it out.

Don't forget that there are quite a few Thai curries that require no coconut milk at all. I'm not sure of the English names of these and I can't write in Thai but I will have a go at saying their names Gaeng Paa ( I think is Jungle curry), Gaeng Som, Gaeng Prik or Phad Phet. They all taste nice and all are reasonally healthy.

Got to go eat something now, thats the problem with talking about food.

Roy

:D:o

Roy

Interesting that she even has coconut milk choices, they are all pretty much the same here in the UK - although there is on called 'Bart' which you can sometimes get which is much thicker and that is my favourite.

Yeah, she sure is fussy ( even her Thai friends think so ) but I don't mind because her food is fantastic .

I buy the Mae Ploy brand in UK,but its not anywhere as good as the stuff you buy loose in the markets in Thailand.It has an after taste which I find a bit unpleasant.I add other flavourings to mask this.

I agree 100%. You can't beat the real stuff from the markets.

I buy the Mae Ploy brand if i am not in thailand !

i find the best for curry : when you open the top of the tin , take the heavy part of the coconut milk and cook with your curry past first ! after add the rest of the milk plus add some liquide as it is to rich !