Is It Possible to Extend Work Permit After Its Expiration?

So, I was at immigration yesterday to extend my visa for a year (it was the last day of my previous visa extension and also WP).

They gave me the extension, but said that because my WP had just ran out on the same day they need me to photocopy and fax them the WP extension page with the new extension stamp (IF I can get it).

They said if the labour office won't extend my WP, they will cancel the extension of stay they just gave me.

They didn't give me any deadline to fax them the evidence. Obviously, I will do it ASAP.

My only concern is: will the labour office extend my WP even though it has already ran out?

Thanks for any insight

Edited by ChrisB87

I may be wrong but I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to. How can something be extended that technically doesn't exist anymore?

Maybe they could do a backdated extension.

In short, I don't know

I tried to renew a work permit of my friend at the department of employment last week, who let it expire too. They didn't allow (WP5). Only to apply for a new one (WP1). After you have applied and got a new one, you have to extend your non B visa. In the end, my friend went on leave abroad, and I applied for a WP3 (preapproval worl permit letter), which I am gonna send to him by DHL, and he will apply for a non B visa straight at a thai embassy abroad.

And in your case your Non B seems already extended, so probably the most reasonable way is to apply for a new WP.1, and then bring your new WP book to the immigration, where they will let your extended visa continue. Still they might find faults cause your extended visa pertains to your old WP, not your new one. Normally, a non B visa is deemed canceled when you WP expires.

Edited by epampersonal

• 2 weeks later...

So, my school just came back from the work permit office.

They said I have to go back to Savannakhet to get a new Non-B visa because the new work permit has to be attached to that (not my extension).

Does anyone know if Savannakhet still do Non-B's on the same day?

What the work permit office is stating does no sound correct to me. Did immigration give the extension stamp or did the do a under consideration stamp pending the work permit.

It is back to next afternoon service in Savannakhet (been that way for over a year).

Thanks,

I will get back to you about what it says exactly on the stamp when I get my passport back. I didn't know there was an under consideration stamp. The didn't say anything about that either.

The stamp they gave me is dated a year away and it looked like the normal extension stamp. They just said they would cancel it if I didn't fax them evidence of work permit renewal.

It is the Ubon work permit office, by the way.

The extension is the same as a non-b visa entry so I cannot see the reasoning for not doing the work permit application with it.

If the work permit office is adamant about not accepting the application their is not a lot you can do about it.

The extension is the same as a non-b visa entry so I cannot see the reasoning for not doing the work permit application with it.

If the work permit office is adamant about not accepting the application their is not a lot you can do about it.

Maybe this is the problem? "So, my school just came back from the work permit office."

The OP should go to the office himself with a trusted Thai speaking friend.

I went to CW yesterday to renew my extension. Current extension & WP expire at the end of April but they renewed my extension until end of April 2017. The school is going to extend my WP tomorrow then they will fax the details to immigration; these things aren't difficult...

As said, you should have no problem with either extending or renewing the WP.

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't make sense. I will probably just have to go and do it, or maybe chance my luck submitting the application myself. Maybe a different officer will do it.