Self defence / protection tools

CLW

Why would anybody in their right mind think Karate holds the keys to the strongest punches? Do you see any karate practitioners in mma? Do you see any (real) boxers get knocked out by karate guys or kung <deleted> masters and other stuff that only works in movies?

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=k1%20karate%20fighters

Im seeing more kick boxing than karate. But im sure karate is a solid base to build on. But fighting K1 with a karate stance and using only karate techniques is not realistic.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do as the (Shaolin) monks...mind you he even spares the boxer by hitting him with open hands.

Interesting. So basically the monk won't retreat, he'll use a lifted elbow or a kick to stop you advancing and once he gets you going backwards - and you can't generate any leverage from the ground - he gives you a good slapping. biggrin.png

Why would anybody in their right mind think Karate holds the keys to the strongest punches? Do you see any karate practitioners in mma? Do you see any (real) boxers get knocked out by karate guys or kung <deleted> masters and other stuff that only works in movies?

you don't know much about fighting, google semmy schilt

Yes, but the fact that a complete hardcase lunatic, who's built like a brick s***house, practices a martial art and is effective does mean that he is effective because he practices that martial art, wouldn't have been at least as or more effective if he had done something else, or that others will be effective if they choose that martial art.

I know of a psycho who could fight before he studied karate. The karate didn't rob him of his ability to go ballistic, but it's a big mistake to infer from his ability to hospitalize people something about the art.

Looking again at the boxing v Shaolin, basically if you slap at someone's face with - doubtless - big dirty fingernails, you're going to scratch their eye. The boxer's wearing 18oz sparring gloves. Why? I'd be cautious about inferring too much from this. It's interesting, but in the real world the other guy won't helpfully put on big gloves to stop himself from scratching your eye, or grabbing a hold of you hair, neck or clothing and forcing you through a shop window.

Im not an expert, just a few years of thaiboxing.

I know who he is....and he fights kick boxing, with maybe a splash of karate.

Next plz...

Yes, but the fact that a complete hardcase lunatic, who's built like a brick s***house, practices a martial art and is effective does mean that he is effective because he practices that martial art, wouldn't have been at least as or more effective if he had done something else, or that others will be effective if they choose that martial art.

I know of a psycho who could fight before he studied karate. The karate didn't rob him of his ability to go ballistic, but it's a big mistake to infer from his ability to hospitalize people something about the art.

hardcase lunatic? you don't know him at all then.

Next plz...

no, you have heard his name but you don't know him. he has a karate background, fought mma and later became k1 champion

IMHO. The best and safest option - move.

Not necessarily. You never know what will happen in your new location and who else could move there. Even if it's a safe place when you get there there's no guarantee it will stay that way.

If you're a gypsy kind of person and don't mind moving whenever something unpleasant happens, then sure, moving is a great option. What people don't seem to appreciate when suggesting to move, is lost bonds, rental contracts and many other costs.

Next plz...

no, you have heard his name but you don't know him. he has a karate background, fought mma and later became k1 champion
Yes, now read my post again. And watch his fights and tell me how that is anything else than dutch kick boxing.

All this talk about martial arts makes me want to LMAO. The proponents act like they are Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was committed to his art and he practiced it everyday.

I knew a guy who lived in the worst section of town. Why? Because he was able to practice on a daily or weekly basis. Many times he was attacked by 3-4 assailants, every so often 1 would escape. The others not so lucky. He kept sharp as that is what is needed. Are YOU ready for that kind of commitment!

If not put on your running shoes and speed away or buy a piece.

I'd rather face the courts than be placed in a box.

All this talk about martial arts makes me want to LMAO. The proponents act like they are Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was committed to his art and he practiced it everyday.

I knew a guy who lived in the worst section of town. Why? Because he was able to practice on a daily or weekly basis. Many times he was attacked by 3-4 assailants, every so often 1 would escape. The others not so lucky. He kept sharp as that is what is needed. Are YOU ready for that kind of commitment!

If not put on your running shoes and speed away or buy a piece.

I'd rather face the courts than be placed in a box.

a weekly bssis is useless

As Bruce Lee himself said, the only preparation for fighting is fighting. If you think that your inability to defend yourself has something to do with your lack of knowledge of what to do you're radically mistaken. Without any new understanding of technique, and without any more strength, a person identical to you who could manage their fear, cope with being hurt and go ballistic could defend themselves.

Placing that to one side, weapons work. That's why criminals use them. Given the choice between entering a fight having 1) three years marching up and down a gym doing a traditional martial art, or 2) a fourteen inch piece of hardwood, pick the baton every time.

Most of the people giving their opinions on violence and self-protection have never been in a real fight in their lives. The person who will attack you will be good at it, in all probability. They'll have done it before. They'll try to get you to not defend yourself by either hitting you without any warning, or intimidating you by their screaming, swaggering, swearing and posturing so that you don't fight.

I'd recommend getting on youtube and watching the old Geoff Thompson videos. He isn't some wanabee in combat gear talking about Krav Maga, he's a bullied kid who became an extremely violent doorman, triumphed in hundreds of fights and then used his tendency to reflect to produce more considered thought on the subject of self protection than almost anyone else. As Thompson - a very high grade karateka - said, "If there's going to be a street fight between a fourteen stone welder and a ten stone karate practitioner bet on the welder every time". As he says, doormen triumph in hundreds of confrontations because they can do one highly effective thing while frightened, whether it's a headbutt, a straight left, a that kick or whatever. What big, effective, gross motor movement could you really engage in when your body is giving you a ton of adrenaline that you're not used to?

My cousin's husband was one of the hardest nutters in the Parachute Regiment. He didn't have his super ninja theories, he just had explosive power and a lot of real experience in beating people up. You need to be realistic. What can you actually do when frightened? Most people can put their hands up and kick violently upwards with their dominant leg. That's a good start. With your hands up, and with short hair, you probably won't get hit cleanly or dragged down, and upward kicks connect with the groin, guts, ribs and hands. You'll never hear that in some twisty wristy self-protection course, however.

Edited by Craig krup

As Bruce Lee himself said, the only preparation for fighting is fighting. If you think that your inability to defend yourself has something to do with your lack of knowledge of what to do you're radically mistaken. Without any new understanding of technique, and without any more strength, a person identical to you who could manage their fear, cope with being hurt and go ballistic could defend themselves.

Placing that to one side, weapons work. That's why criminals use them. Given the choice between entering a fight having 1) three years marching up and down a gym doing a traditional martial art, or 2) a fourteen inch piece of hardwood, pick the baton every time.

Most of the people giving their opinions on violence and self-protection have never been in a real fight in their lives. The person who will attack you will be good at it, in all probability. They'll have done it before. They'll try to get you to not defend yourself by either hitting you without any warning, or intimidating you by their screaming, swaggering, swearing and posturing so that you don't fight.

I'd recommend getting on youtube and watching the old Geoff Thompson videos. He isn't some wanabee in combat gear talking about Krav Maga, he's a bullied kid who became an extremely violent doorman, triumphed in hundreds of fights and then used his tendency to reflect to produce more considered thought on the subject of self protection than almost anyone else. As Thompson - a very high grade karateka - said, "If there's going to be a street fight between a fourteen stone welder and a ten stone karate practitioner bet on the welder every time". As he says, doormen triumph in hundreds of confrontations because they can do one highly effective thing while frightened, whether it's a headbutt, a straight left, a that kick or whatever. What big, effective, gross motor movement could you really engage in when your body is giving you a ton of adrenaline that you're not used to?

My cousin's husband was one of the hardest nutters in the Parachute Regiment. He didn't have his super ninja theories, he just had explosive power and a lot of real experience in beating people up. You need to be realistic. What can you actually do when frightened? Most people can put their hands up and kick violently upwards with their dominant leg. That's a good start. With your hands up, and with short hair, you probably won't get hit cleanly or dragged down, and upward kicks connect with the groin, guts, ribs and hands. You'll never hear that in some twisty wristy self-protection course, however.

You'll never hear that in some twisty wristy self-protection course, however.

Sure will learn that in a selfprotection course (aka Jiu Jitsu).

Also karateka's learned how to make an upward kick with the knee onto the solar plexus and lower to push all the air out of the opponent's body.

Those selfprotectioncourses also work very well but they are only for emergency. It's about breaking fingers, stabbing eyeballs with fingers, kicking groin, kicking kneecaps and much more. Only to protect yourself and get away.

And a 14 stone (how many kg is that) welder is probably very slow and stiff. A karateka can easy see his swings coming and prepare for them. Speed is essential in a fight.

Something that has not been noted that I think should be.... Thai men do not fight like men in the West. They have no notion of a "fair" fight. One only has to do a quick YouTube search to see Thai men sucker punching, jumping someone with 5 of their friends, or most disturbing..... Continuously kicking/stomping someone in the head while they lie bleeding on the ground. All of these things would generally be considered pretty cowardly or something a bitch would do (at least where I come from). Not to mention a possible attempted murder charge for kicking someone in the head while they are on the ground (again, where I come from). However, this is all fair game for a good number of Thais. It would really be best to avoid confrontation if possible. If for nothing else, again, you may find yourself getting slowly killed by 5 random Thai guys beating your head in instead of facing the one you planned on fighting.

Seriously.... Do a YouTube or Google search for news of Thais kicking and stomping people in the head while they are down. Seems to happen with disturbing regularity here.....

Edited by inbangkok

You'll never hear that in some twisty wristy self-protection course, however.

Sure will learn that in a selfprotection course (aka Jiu Jitsu).

Also karateka's learned how to make an upward kick with the knee onto the solar plexus and lower to push all the air out of the opponent's body.

Those selfprotectioncourses also work very well but they are only for emergency. It's about breaking fingers, stabbing eyeballs with fingers, kicking groin, kicking kneecaps and much more. Only to protect yourself and get away.

And a 14 stone (how many kg is that) welder is probably very slow and stiff. A karateka can easy see his swings coming and prepare for them. Speed is essential in a fight.

Have you ever actually been in a full-bore fight? If you are still thinking about "courses" and what you can "learn" you're making a mistake.

My employer paid for us to attend "courses" with karate exponents and krav maga practitioners, and I've went rather than do something else, but it's all pump. The real world just isn't as you assume. The world's full of illusions and the deluded. There's a Scottish martial art that Mike Myers described called Fuk Yoo. It mainly involves headbutting people and kicking them when they're on the ground. Seriously, if someone experienced gave you their angry face, foul language, contempt and aggressive body posturing you'd experience such an adrenaline dump you'd be able to do fanny adams.

It ain't like the movies.

[incidentally, three weeks ago two female police officers in Glasgow, Scotland were beaten to within an inch of their lives by one local nutter. He yelled from his window, "That's it, I'm battering a polis" and he then ran outside and knocked the living sh** out of the pair of them. CS spray, batons and all the training in the world did them no good at all. I'm sure the attacker had a groin, knee caps and eyes, but real violence is - to repeat - unlike the moves].

Edited by Craig krup

Is pepper spray is allowed to self-defense in Thailand and you can obtain it at no additional licenses?

No.

Bug or wasp spray would work.....

But the question to be answered is - what happens once you use it?

You live there & they live there - by defending yourself with something you've just won 1 battle but accelerated the "war".....You become a recognized/easily identifiable marked (foreign) target in a "I can't lose face" village/area/country....

Chuck Norris - most of us aren't....

This is a very good point. A little while ago a couple Thai kids tried to mess with me. I thought about smashing their faces in, but then it occurred to me that they'd get their friends and either find me or take it out on another foreigner. Not worth it. Best defense here is probably use your feet or your cunning.

Could it be that Cal 22 guns and rifles are easily available in Thailand? I talked to someone and he said they are common to kill birds and rats.

Not that I want to have it but I found a bullet yesterday...

Where are you living, mate? And can you give us more details about what happened?

learn some martial arts techniques. Karate, Taek Won Do are quite efficient when it comes to knocking someone out

Don't agree, very few Karate experts will beat an experienced street fighter, as soon as the karate mans feet leave the ground

he is vulnerable.

Don't forget there are rules in karate, but no rules in street fighting. If you want to be able to defend yourself in a fight where there are no weapons

take up boxing, easily the most effective.

In that instance I would choose mixed martial arts. Boxing also has rules and once you're on the ground is useless.

But yea better than karate of course.

Remember the old joke?

Guy whips-up another guy in bar and tells the crowd "that was judo from Japan"

His victim goes out to the car, comes back in and knocks out the judo master, and announces to the crowd: "that was a crow-bar from Montgomery Ward"

In that instance I would choose mixed martial arts. Boxing also has rules and once you're on the ground is useless.

You don't "choose" anything. When a nutter took a flying headbutt at me I flew back like a mongoose on steroids because of all the things I'd done that - at that point - had made me who I was. I then hit him with two punches and broke my pinky because of who I was. I then ended up half on a sofa with the lunatic on top of me. I grabbed his hair with my left hand and fired three full power punches into the side of his head, ending it.

None of this has anything to do with choice. When I got my head pulped into a misshapen approximation of what it had been, and blood inside my left eye - pink world - there wasn't any "choice" involved in the nightmare, or if there was it wasn't helping.

There are only two things to say on self-protection. 1) Listen to Geoff Thompson. 2) Listen to Geoff Thompson. Now I realise that strictly speaking this is only one thing, but it's such an important thing I thought it was worth mentioning twice. biggrin.png

Remember the old joke?

Guy whips-up another guy in bar and tells the crowd "that was judo from Japan"

His victim goes out to the car, comes back in and knocks out the judo master, and announces to the crowd: "that was a crow-bar from Montgomery Ward"

A fight breaks out in a Scottish pub. A bloke is jumping around screaming like Bruce Lee and making martial arts-style moves. An old man says to his pal, "Is that king &lt;deleted&gt;?" His mate says, "Naw, he's only had a couple of pints".

learn some martial arts techniques. Karate, Taek Won Do are quite efficient when it comes to knocking someone out

Don't agree, very few Karate experts will beat an experienced street fighter, as soon as the karate mans feet leave the ground

he is vulnerable.

Don't forget there are rules in karate, but no rules in street fighting. If you want to be able to defend yourself in a fight where there are no weapons

take up boxing, easily the most effective.

Who bothers about rules if someone is violent towards you, or even threatens you, yes boxing has rules, IMO it is more effective than Karate.

I did do karate when I was younger.