Hat Jai Airport To Penang

It all depends on how much you are able to spend. A taxi would definitely be the most comfortable.

If you are on a budget though then you take a minibus from the aiport to town. They will drop you of at one of the many travel agents where you can book a ticket on a minibus to penang.

Thats how most people do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Costs-Approx

Airport to town 200 Baht from taxis outside the doors or 60 Baht for mini van. There are no buses.

Tell taxi or mini van you want a mini van to Penang. They will drop you off at one or two mini van places that take people to Penang. The cost to Penang is around 300 Bhat, approx. The drive is 3 (three) hours but comfortable and the vans are in good condition because they have to observe Malaysia's higher road safty standards.

Regards,

BR

Costs-Approx

Airport to town 200 Baht from taxis outside the doors or 60 Baht for mini van. There are no buses.

Tell taxi or mini van you want a mini van to Penang. They will drop you off at one or two mini van places that take people to Penang. The cost to Penang is around 300 Bhat, approx.

-----> 200 baht the cheapest

The drive is 3 (three) hours but comfortable and the vans are in good condition because they have to observe Malaysia's higher road safty standards.

Regards,

BR

hi,

Thanks, 60 baht from airport to town seems alright.

and theses mini vans available in front of airport all day long?

khap.

ps: and I guess I can easily find a minibus at this price in Hatyai to go to airport too?

Costs-Approx

Tell taxi or mini van you want a mini van to Penang. They will drop you off at one or two mini van places that take people to Penang. The cost to Penang is around 300 Bhat, approx. The drive is 3 (three) hours but comfortable and the vans are in good condition because they have to observe Malaysia's higher road safty standards.

Regards,

BR

ok on different issue of mini bus from hat jai to penang, the cost is 180-200 baht. anyone charging you more is robbing you. this i can promise. do not pay more than 200. I cased the place on this issue and i know. 200 baht tops. hat jai AIRPORT to hat jai sure is under 100 baht BUT hat jai city to airport is different story. I left hat jai at 5 AM to airport and paid 150 baht

when you take min bus from airport to town, the bus takes you to agent who robs you for 120 baht extra from the 180 baht charge to hat jai. this was explained to me in detail after I called the agent on it in a semi pissed off rage. so i can say that bronze rider was taken for a 300 baht ripoff ride to penang. hope he enjoyed it

unbiasbob Posted on Sun 2004-05-09, 00:56:26

when you take min bus from airport to town, the bus takes you to agent who robs you for 120 baht extra from the 180 baht charge to hat jai. this was explained to me in detail after I called the agent on it in a semi pissed off rage. so i can say that bronze rider was taken for a 300 baht ripoff ride to penang. hope he enjoyed it

The ariport mini-van shuttle service is 60 baht to hat yai town. A taxi is 200. From Ht yai back to aiirport is 60 baht or 180 by taxi. I don't see where the confusion is.

From Hat Yai town to Penang on a mini-van is around 280-300 Baht, one-way.

BR

unbiasbob Posted on Sun 2004-05-09, 00:56:26

The ariport mini-van shuttle service is 60 baht to hat yai town. A taxi is 200. From Ht yai back to aiirport is 60 baht or 180 by taxi. I don't see where the confusion is.

From Hat Yai town to Penang on a mini-van is around 280-300 Baht, one-way.

BR

What I am saying is that there is no need to pay more than 200 baht for mini bus from hat jai to penang. anyone charging more is clearly overcharging

Ask the minibus from the airport to stop at Cathay Guest House, and book your Penang minibus from there.

Helpful staff and reasonable prices when I was there 6 months ago. It seems to have been a reliable place for a long time, but of course, you never know when employees or owners change. In any case it is a good spot to start from in downtown Hat Yai.

hatyai town to airport is about 12 km away. Hatyai town to Penang is about 200 km away (60km from hatyai to sadao immigration and 130 from sadao to North-South Highway Penang exit).

One thing that I learn in Thailand is never to ask tuk-tuks to bring you to massage parlour (both traditional and swedish) or even to tour agencies as tuk-tuks usually took a commission from these shopkeepers, and you pay for it. I believe many here can vouch for this.

btw, i just came back from Hatyai two days ago. Situation there is a lot quieter. You don't see as many tourists around as before. The recent upheaval in the South has affect the tourism a lot. But still, from reports, Songkhla is still a relatively safe place. In fact, many students from the affected Muslim-dominated South are moving there to study.

unbiasbob

What I am saying is that there is no need to pay more than 200 baht for mini bus from hat jai to penang. anyone charging more is clearly overcharging

The last time I did the mini-van run from Hat Yai to Penang, 2 or 3 years ago, I thought it cost around 275. But, If it's 200, great. (Maybe it's 275 from Penang to Hat Yai!)

acesalan

Hat Yai is a safe place as of now. When I went across the border, I was the only foreigner. Very quiet indeed. :o

BR

If you are really cheap, here is how you make the border run! Take a songthaew from outside the airport, ask non taxi/mini bus drivers and they will point it out, they are blue in color, 10 baht into downtown Hat Yai. In downtown Hat Yai, you can get a van to Penang. If you are just needing to make a border hop, you can get off anyhwere past the "Clock Tower" and you can catch a bus to Padang Besar for 25 baht.