Thai national coming to Thailand on a expired passport .

Hi,

Quick question , my brother and his wife are supposed to be flying from the uk to Thailand tomorrow. My brothers wife has just realised her Thai passport has expired . Will she still be okay to fly to Thailand and sort a new one whilst she's in Thailand ?

Dan

She should be able to get an extension at the Thai Embassy

There is no extension possible for Thai passports. Does your home country extend passports? I think not.

I think yes. My wife got an extension for her Thai passport at the Thai embassy in Los Angeles, and I have renewed my US passport twice at the US consulate in Bangkok.

whistling.gif For information....... a U.S. passport is good for 10 years when issued.

It can be renewed when it is due to expire.

A new passport will then be issued.... for a fee....

I renewed mine in the U.S embassy in Bangkok in June 2015.

it can also be reissued when it is becoming full of stamped entries.

Just so you know.

On the other question..... yes a Thai National can get a new passport, even travel to Thailand on his or her expired passport.

They can then get a new passport in Bangkok, as long as they can show a valid Thai I.D. card.

There is no extension possible for Thai passports. Does your home country extend passports? I think not.

I think yes. My wife got an extension for her Thai passport at the Thai embassy in Los Angeles, and I have renewed my US passport twice at the US consulate in Bangkok.

Getting a new passport is not an extension. Extension means that the validity date of an existing passport was extended. Thailand might of done that many years ago but not now.

whistling.gif For information....... a U.S. passport is good for 10 years when issued.

Just so you know.

On the other question..... yes a Thai National can get a new passport, even travel to Thailand on his or her expired passport.

They can then get a new passport in Bangkok, as long as they can show a valid Thai I.D. card.

If it is just getting full you can add up to two sets of extra pages at the US consulate.

It is is worth noting that you can check extra pages when you renew at no extra cost, but if you don't check it you will get the standard number. Also good to get the passport card at the same time you renew to carry around and to have as a backup, it's pretty cheap.

My wife's Thai passport is only good for 5 years, and was due to expire in less than 6 months when we entered the US, that is why she had to have it extended.

Getting a new passport is not an extension. Extension means that the validity date of an existing passport was extended. Thailand might of done that many years ago but not now.

Try to follow along. My wife got an extension for her Thai passport in Los Angeles a couple years ago.

So perhaps the quit doing it in the last couple years, but to say they haven't done it in many years is simply wrong.

That said, I'll admit now that you are right and I am wrong about everything.

Try to follow along. My wife got an extension for her Thai passport in Los Angeles a couple years ago.

So perhaps the quit doing it in the last couple years, but to say they haven't done it in many years is simply wrong.

The may of done it before they started doing e-passports. They certainly do not do it now. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21480-Passport-Amendments-Pages-Appending--Cancellatio.html I don't know when they updated the page but I can recall it stating the samething for some time now.

The may of done it before they started doing e-passports. They certainly do not do it now. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21480-Passport-Amendments-Pages-Appending--Cancellatio.html I don't know when they updated the page but I can recall it stating the samething for some time now.

I've already admitted you're right and I'm wrong, never doubted it.

Just so you know.

If it is just getting full you can add up to two sets of extra pages at the US consulate.

It is is worth noting that you can check extra pages when you renew at no extra cost, but if you don't check it you will get the standard number. Also good to get the passport card at the same time you renew to carry around and to have as a backup, it's pretty cheap.

My wife's Thai passport is only good for 5 years, and was due to expire in less than 6 months when we entered the US, that is why she had to have it extended.

The US stopped adding pages on the 1st of January.

changes_us_passport_service.jpg

Bummer that.

She will be allowed to check in and then negotiate the UK Immigration process with an expired passport? Are you lot sure about that? If that's correct what is the point of giving a passport an expiry date in the first place?

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

She will be allowed to check in and then negotiate the UK Immigration process with an expired passport? Are you lot sure about that? If that's correct what is the point of giving a passport an expiry date in the first place?

I already posted info from the IATA that she can check in for her flight.

Since her passport was already expired I would assume her stay in the UK does not require a valid passport which eliminates any problem with UK immigration. She might even have a UK passport.

I don't know anything about it, but would not make sense that you could not exit with an expired passport, otherwise anyone that wanted to immigrate would just let their passport expire.

The bigger concern is whether the visa stamp is expired, as (I don't think) you can get stamped in if your passport will expire before the stamp.

I don't know anything about it, but would not make sense that you could not exit with an expired passport, otherwise anyone that wanted to immigrate would just let their passport expire.

The bigger concern is whether the visa stamp is expired, as (I don't think) you can get stamped in if your passport will expire before the stamp.

Unless the passport holder was in the UK with an ILR stamp - Indefinite Leave To Remain. There's no expiry date on that stamp itself.

my half thai/half American daughter got a 5 year exteniosn on her 5 year thai passport in the thai embassy in dc.

of course that was in 2009

US passports,

i have only had 1 us passport issued in the us and that was way back in 1966 LOL

due agree it is not an extension but a new one :-)

Edited by phuketrichard

my half thai/half American daughter got a 5 year exteniosn on her 5 year thai passport in the thai embassy in dc.

When?

It cannot be done now. See my earlier post with link to MFA website.

Unless the passport holder was in the UK with an ILR stamp - Indefinite Leave To Remain. There's no expiry date on that stamp itself.

More precisely, they don't expire. Some of them (or is it ILEs) have a meaningless expiry date that can cause confusion.

I believe the British 'visas' that we had been taught to call extensions of stay also run independently of passport expiry. This is especially true of the biometric residence permits (BRPs). They do have an expiry date, and it may get nasty when the ILR BRPs start expiring in 2022.