Disabled Brit, 79, jumps to his death from Pattaya condo

webfact

Disabled Brit, 79, jumps to his death from Pattaya condo
Thaivisa Reporters

brit.jpg
Image: Khaosod.co.th

PATTAYA: -- A 79 British man was found dead after jumping from the 10th floor of a condo in Na Jomtien on Saturday night, Thaivisa News reports.

Police and rescue workers were called to the Somphong Condotel just after 9pm where they found the body of a foreign man in the car park.

Police concluded that Mr John Anthony Angus had committed suicide.

A neighbour of the man, identified as Elizabeth Louise, told officers that Mr John used a wheelchair and lived in the apartment alone.

He had been suffering with some serious health problems which had intensified over the last two weeks and had told her of his plan to commit suicide earlier in the day.

However, she dismissed his plans as she did not believe he would be able to remove himself from his wheelchair and jump from his condo without assistance.

Officers found the man’s wheelchair and walking stick on the 10th floor of the condotel.

A search of the man’s room found no signs of foul play.

The man’s body was sent to Sattahip hospital for an autopsy to establish and official cause of death.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-21

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tragic indeed. It seems that quite a fair amount of old men prefer jumping from high buildings than taking some amazing pills and going on one last journey before just not waking up anymore. Jumping shouldn't be an option for anybody and the most important reason being total fear, pain and discomfort seconds before traveling to other pastures. If somebody really doesn't want to continue in this realm for whatever reason, mostly being illness, old age or depression then take the most humane way out. Remember that after you throw yourself off a building or in front of a train, bus or other fast moving object there are people who have to clean up the mess and I don't care what anyone says about this, it is always traumatizing for the ambulance personnel/cleaning staff and what about passerby's? Did any jumper ever think about somebody walking below and what would happen if suddenly a person would fall on top of them of explode on the ground close to them? What an irresponsible way to take your life. Selfish as so to speak, without talking about the family members left behind. So when you decide that you can't continue anymore for whatever reason, legit or not, and you have made your mind up to discontinue your time on this planet; do so in a responsible way! Euthanasia should always happen with guidance of professionals

RIP Mr Angus

"He had been suffering with some serious health problems which had intensified over the last two weeks and had told her of his plan to commit suicide earlier in the day.

However, she dismissed his plans as she did not believe he would be able to remove himself from his wheelchair and jump from his condo without assistance."

Could it have been assisted suicide? Sounds likely.

Against the law? Almost certainly.

Morally wrong? Definitely not.

IMHO

Tragic indeed. It seems that quite a fair amount of old men prefer jumping from high buildings than taking some amazing pills and going on one last journey before just not waking up anymore. Jumping shouldn't be an option for anybody and the most important reason being total fear, pain and discomfort seconds before traveling to other pastures. If somebody really doesn't want to continue in this realm for whatever reason, mostly being illness, old age or depression then take the most humane way out. Remember that after you throw yourself off a building or in front of a train, bus or other fast moving object there are people who have to clean up the mess and I don't care what anyone says about this, it is always traumatizing for the ambulance personnel/cleaning staff and what about passerby's? Did any jumper ever think about somebody walking below and what would happen if suddenly a person would fall on top of them of explode on the ground close to them? What an irresponsible way to take your life. Selfish as so to speak, without talking about the family members left behind. So when you decide that you can't continue anymore for whatever reason, legit or not, and you have made your mind up to discontinue your time on this planet; do so in a responsible way! Euthanasia should always happen with guidance of professionals

RIP Mr Angus

What are these "amazing" pills you mention?

RIP Mr Angus

What are these "amazing" pills you mention?

Read the last sentence again: Euthanasia should always happen with guidance of professionals.

There are websites, organizations, doctors, etc who can help people end their lives if they really don't want to continue.

Besides that we live in TH where most pharmaceuticals are for sale over or under the counter

seems a terrible and painful way to kill yourself! if I were to think about killing myself, I would take a bunch of pills, get my favorite booze, sit down on a comfortable chair, put my favorite movies on my DVD and just sit back and take the "trip"! no pain no fuss and no one getting mad at me for messing up their car roof! plus I would look pretty for my funeral!

Very sad to read this, just what goes though the mind to take your own life.

Whatever it was, it's over now. RIP.

I think being crippled in a wheel chair, having health and perhaps money issues, and being alone, with perhaps no loving family to return to, may contribute towards that.

I was looking at condos in central Pattaya. We were told the best parking was permanently available by the door as an old farang had jumped and landed in that spot. Thais fear his ghost. I'd gladly park there as long as his ghost didn't jump on my car!

My feelings to the deceased. He must have felt awful to terminate his life this way

This being said, I do agree with posts suggesting other, softer ways.

Just imagine the trauma if any (or your) kid was to witness his fall and landing. Probably lifelong nightmare visions.

RIP Mr Angus

not necessarily irresponsible but perhaps uninformed.

I don't understand whythe system makes it as difficult as hell for people to get information and assistance if they are in that state of mind.

one of the best-known Euthanasia advocates former doctor Philip Nitschke was suspended by the Medical Board of Australia, because they said he "presented a serious risk to public health and safety".blink.pngcrazy.gif

In the usa when all hope is gone due to disease you call in hospice care. You are given as much pain meds as necessary. Stop eating or drinking water. Alcohol is ok. In about 10 days or so your body shuts down.

2 friends went out this way when the cancer was incurable.

The 2nd had watched the 1st go out that way and said if ever needed he wanted to sign up for that program. No pain, don't lay around in bed all the time etc.

4 years later he did just that when the cancer treatment was not working.

RIP Mr Angus

A valid discussion point. In the absence of rightful understanding and lack of support many people would have to opt for self killing. Many of our 'morals' are unfounded and cruel. There is a need for awareness for better ways of self-killing than ignoring the need and advising "help-seeking" "counselling" etc which are not practical at certain stages in life.

Once dead - it is like 'never been alive'.

he should go to Netherland, where euthanasia is legal, he would get a shot instead of jumping to death, poor guy RIP

And who was it that gave Holland or Switzerland for that matter, the right to play God?...RIP fellow countryman.

so for people who get ALS, cancer, who live on artificial breathing, you think it is not humane to get a shot?

stupid guy you are, come on.....that is humane way to go if you suffer too much....

he should go to Netherland, where euthanasia is legal, he would get a shot instead of jumping to death, poor guy RIP

And who was it that gave Holland or Switzerland for that matter, the right to play God?...RIP fellow countryman.

God? Different fictional authorities say different things. Asked the Tooth Fairy just the other day, and she pontificated that it's okay, long as you pay off all dental bills before you do yourself.

Poor unfortunate man being stuck in a wheelchair is a frightening experience.

Being stuck in a wheelchair alone!! poor poor man.

TV members please if you are ever in a situation where a disabled person speaks like that take a little time.

Listen offer what support you can, help even by listening.

Being stuck in a wheelchair I KNOW i have had times when i just wanted to end it.

I have been brought back from the brink by my wife and 1/2 good friends, being there for me just listening

Luckily for me i am now past such thoughts look forward now not sitting getting depressed.

So again i say to members take only 5/10 minutes out of your life to help support someone.

Thank you and be happy.

​Most readers here seem to assume that at 79 and disabled, your life is not worth living. If you have an elderly neighbor who has suicidal thoughts, why don't you take a few minutes from your "busy" life in Thailand and find out what's troubling him. Ask if he has any close relatives or friends he can talk to. Surely someone will miss this poor old guy and be saddened by his death.

They don't play God

They just don't start the rationale each morning with a God in it

They want to let people decide by themselves what's best for them when reaching critical situation, and humanly assist if so desired

so for people who get ALS, cancer, who live on artificial breathing, you think it is not humane to get a shot?

stupid guy you are, come on.....that is humane way to go if you suffer too much....

Well if I'm a stupid guy,that must make God more stupid in your opinion.There are no if's or buts in number 6/10 commandments.We are humans not animals,we have morphine to take care of the pain.I understand this is a huge debate,but in our sweet little freedom of speech socalled democracy,i'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are yours,which I respect but don't agree with.