Pai - Mae Hong Son.......

les1

Can anyone give to me constructive info on Pai. I am told that we must go it is beautiful however what are the attractions & where should you stay to be close to these. Can anyone recommend medium prices accommodation & how far from the Airport.

Thank you, wai2.gif

I've not been up there for a few years, but it's very rural (farming etc) and quite beautiful... not sure how the Pai town has changed, but there will be lots of choices for accommodation.

Many of things to seek out, The Hot Springs, waterfall are within reasonably close distance... Lom Lot Caves (think that is correct spelling? ) is a bit of a drive north of Pai, but well worth a visit get there about noonish and spend the afternoon... I would suggest taking a jacket for the ride home as it gets, pretty darn cold at higher elevations, especially after dark, if you drive a motorbike there and back!

Pai and Mae Hong Son are very nice places to visit. I didn't like the town of Pai very much. Too many young tourists, but that may be your thing. Not sure. The surrounding area is fantastic. I prefer to stay out of town. Your own transport makes exploring very easy. Very hard without that.

The Mae Hong Son loop is great. Takes about 4 days if you don't hurry. With quite a bit to see along the way. One of my favorite things to do is the rafting trip from near Pai to MHS. It's an overnight trip and very fun.

If you take a scooter, be very careful. The road is quite dangerous, especially after a rain.

If you're looking for a place to stay in MHS then check out Piya Guesthouse, great location and they have a pool. I think the price is about B700. Tel 053 611260. And for eating go to Fern Restaurant, a short walk from the Piya GH.

post-11958-0-98571900-1458640584_thumb.j

post-11958-0-60316500-1458640635_thumb.j

post-11958-0-90256100-1458640687_thumb.j

Edited by Spaniel

While it is not too bad during low season, Pai has become what some call the Khao San Road of the North and can get completely packed with tourists. While it used to be a bucolic little village, it now has hundreds of guesthouses and the town itself has become party central. Also, it is a major draw now for mainland Chinese tourists and the last time I was there, they actually equalled or outnumbered the farang backpackers. If you are driving, be especially vigilant for Chinese tourists on motorbikes, of which there are many. So I suppose in the end, it all comes down to what you are looking for. As you asked about the airport, yes, there is a small airport there served by Kan Air, with weekend only flights from Chiang Mai, once per day. It is just on the edge of town.

If you are interested in something more quiet and traditional, skip Pai and carry on about 45 km to Soppong which is still a quiet little village with natural attractions and a diverse hilltribe culture. And if you are thinking of flying, consider Mae Hong Son town, which is a very pleasant little town and still not too touristy. The lake in the centre of town with the old Shan temples is very nice. There is also a nice little walking street style market in the evenings.

As with Spaniel, I have stayed at Piya before and would recommend it. It has been recently renovated and has a great location just across the street from the lake.

Thank you all that has answered my questions. One note Bangkok Air is now fling to Mae Hong Son & much cheaper than Kan Air. Round trip for 2 early April around 5,000 baht.

Pai is very nice and it's very small. The size makes it easy to get around on a bicycle. Think large village. Don't recall Pai itself having attractions other than the charm of the place itself and the tourists (mini khaosarn road vibe). We stayed next to the hospital in a very nice place called the Quarter. The famous cave in Soppong is a must visit.

The airport in Pai is tiny and 5 minutes drive to Pai centre. The airport in MHS is a proper sized airport with terminal builing and is right in the centre of MHS. if I had to choose one to fly to it would be MHS; the planes flying in to Pai are very small.

For most people Pai is just another stop on the must-do MHS trail, a brilliant scenic rollercoaster drive. Best driving holiday we've had in the last 3 years.

How is it in July/August time? Bit quieter? Too rainy? Get cold at night at all?

That is in the middle of rainy season, but that just means that there will probably be afternoon/evening showers every day. It would not be cold at night, though. There would likely be fewer tourists, but at least from my perspective, that still doesn't change the fact that the town is geared towards tourists and scarcely resembles the quiet and traditional little village it used to be. But again, if you are looking for some souvenir shops, a hamburger, tattoo, yoga studio and then a late night beer bar, Pai would be fine then and less crowded.

How is it in July/August time? Bit quieter? Too rainy? Get cold at night at all?

That is in the middle of rainy season, but that just means that there will probably be afternoon/evening showers every day. It would not be cold at night, though. There would likely be fewer tourists, but at least from my perspective, that still doesn't change the fact that the town is geared towards tourists and scarcely resembles the quiet and traditional little village it used to be. But again, if you are looking for some souvenir shops, a hamburger, tattoo, yoga studio and then a late night beer bar, Pai would be fine then and less crowded.

Been forever since I have been up there, I am sure it's changed a lot, like a lot of popular places in Thailand

I never understand the criticism Pai gets. It is what it is, a small town/large village (5 minutes to drive through it) in a lovely valley in a lovely area which is particularly popular with those on the backpacker trail. Daytime it's a sleepy little place when you'll see few people about. Nighttime everybody comes out to walking street to see or be seen to eat, shop etc. Unless you have a phobia of backpackers it's a lovely place to chill for a few days and use the town as a base to see the local area (there's little of interest in Pai itself apart from walking street).

I never understand the criticism Pai gets. It is what it is, a small town/large village (5 minutes to drive through it) in a lovely valley in a lovely area which is particularly popular with those on the backpacker trail. Daytime it's a sleepy little place when you'll see few people about. Nighttime everybody comes out to walking street to see or be seen to eat, shop etc. Unless you have a phobia of backpackers it's a lovely place to chill for a few days and use the town as a base to see the local area (there's little of interest in Pai itself apart from walking street).

Have you been there recently? That sort of sounds like days gone by.

As for taking five minutes to drive through Pai, I think that is not the case now even under the best of conditions. I drove through there in late December and it took at least 30 minutes to get through it via the main road due to all the traffic. And that started out by all the souvenir stands out by the bridge with people trying to find a place to park. And yes, dodging Chinese tourists on motorbikes along the way, some stopped in the middle of the highway whilst taking selfies. But at least there is now a bypass road so that you can indeed get through in five minutes if you take that route onward to Soppong and Mae Hong Son.

I guess my point is that it is really what you are after. Pai to me has just lost its former quiet and traditional feel that it once had, and if you are looking for that, you will not find it. Most of the original shopkeepers sold out for large profits to others from Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc. There are literally hundreds of guesthouse and Pai is now almost completely geared towards tourists, thus attracting its nickname "Khao San Road of the North".

^ps. Personal choice, but if I could return tomorrow I'd go back to mae sariang, then mhs and then pai in that order of preference.

Asked the wife (thai)...her preference mhs, mae sariang then pai.

mai sariang is beautifull ,went there last year and got the feeling g this was like pai 10 years ago.

Have you been there recently? That sort of sounds like days gone by.

As for taking five minutes to drive through Pai, I think that is not the case now even under the best of conditions. I drove through there in late December and it took at least 30 minutes to get through it via the main road due to all the traffic. And that started out by all the souvenir stands out by the bridge with people trying to find a place to park. And yes, dodging Chinese tourists on motorbikes along the way, some stopped in the middle of the highway whilst taking selfies. But at least there is now a bypass road so that you can indeed get through in five minutes if you take that route onward to Soppong and Mae Hong Son.

I guess my point is that it is really what you are after. Pai to me has just lost its former quiet and traditional feel that it once had, and if you are looking for that, you will not find it. Most of the original shopkeepers sold out for large profits to others from Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc. There are literally hundreds of guesthouse and Pai is now almost completely geared towards tourists, thus attracting its nickname "Khao San Road of the North".

I was there 18 months ago. Can't believe it would change much in that time. Maybe October is a quiet month there, I don't know.

The 5 minutes to drive through Pai is daytime. Nighttime I would agree with you ss every man and his dog is out around the crossroads at walking street.

MHS yes fern restaurant has good food very pricey though.

If you want good food Thai/farang/shan go to Salween river restaurant next to the lake food is excellent .

Half the price of fern restaurant.

Didn't go to Fern but went twice to Salween. Good food but very busy always so service very slow (went twice..same both times). Very popular, its a small place so hard to get a table. Thai food and farlang food was very good (my kids had excellent huge burgers). The staff speak English.

Even better, though you need to speak thai, is Kai Mook 2 minutes walk away. Come out Salween and turn left, walk to next junction turn left, walk up the street almost to mhs main road and its on the left. Nice buxom wench as well ;-)

Thank you all that has answered my questions. One note Bangkok Air is now flying to Mae Hong Son & much cheaper than Kan Air. Round trip for 2 early April around 5,000 baht.

Went to Pai many times, sometimes with the pickup, other times with my MTBike ; I like Charlie's GH ; in the center of the village;

22322437919_4bceffe3d4_b.jpg

21886696744_fa9c1392d4_b.jpg

When in Mae Hong Son, you can go to Ban Mai Nai Soi refugee camp ; it's a Karen one ;

went there many times; the children in the unique class have a good english and are not shy .

To go there, it's not very difficult, but the last kilometer is very difficult with a 4 wheels vehicle;

with my MTBike it's also difficult but less than with the pickup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ban_Mai_Nai_Soi_refugee_camp

22782203224_bbeea18132_b.jpg

22783364883_81572098a5_b.jpg

23114721020_50a0f3c01a_b.jpg

You can also go to Ban_Rak_Thai ( a beautiful name, isn't it ? ), a chinise village at the border with Myanmar where you can buy some differents teas .

22113498209_0010283ebb_b.jpg

22113455189_bffb6e2f5b_b.jpg

22300365655_d3c63321ae_b.jpg

On the road to Mae Sariang, if you are courageous, take the difficult road to go to Ban Mikrowave, another village of minorities ( Hmong )

The road mark in blue didn't exist in 2015 ; photo in 2012

22301895695_9e6cc30832_b.jpg

22301938145_38151b5554_b.jpg

You can understand now, seeing the photo why the village has that name " Mikrowave " !

21679579864_fb95cfaac6_b.jpg

22276240096_3e0d68187b_b.jpg

22312579981_9c3ffddd48_b.jpg

I like, no, I love to go there on my MTBike even the roads are sometimes very difficult;

going to Ban Mikrowave is exhausting , a huge percentage , more than 25% during about 5 km .

Getting to Mai Hong Son is well worth itthumbsup.gif - after you carefully negotiate 1,844 curves en route - and there's a few thousand more hair-pin turns on the way to Chiang Rai from Pai..

SOOOO..Make sure if you aren't driving - to choose a Thai that doesn't ride the brakes - like my stubborn Thai brother in lawsad.png

..or you may get sick as HELL

You can go there with a normal pickup ( 4x2) or a Fortuner; the road is in concrete;

it's difficult because it's narrow and the percentage is huge; so when coming back u must know how to downhill a mountain without using your brakes .

Pickup and little trucks go up to the top of the mountain for the maintenance of the antennas and give food and bier tongue.png for people working there .

Edited by Assurancetourix

You can go there with a normal pickup ( 4x2) or a Fortuner; the road is in concrete;

it's difficult because it's narrow and the percentage is huge; so when coming back u must know how to downhill a mountain without using your brakes .

Pickup and little trucks go up to the top of the mountain for the maintenance of the antennas and give food and bier tongue.png for people working there .

Been driving my automatic fortuner for years around thailand and had to use the manual gears for the first time on the mae hong son loop and phu ta buek.

I've been that way in October. Which are the burning months to avoid?

^Loved the photos!