Unemployment rate in Thailand low compared to other countries

webfact

When there's no system to report unemployed......how do they come at these conclusions.......it's fiction

To be fair, the Thai government conducts a household survey that nominally meets international standards. Thus, their data is accepted by organizations and used for comparisons worldwide.

However, there are critical differences between some countries in the detailed definitions of "employed" and "unemployed", and these differences could produce abnormally low or high reported rates.

For example, regarding employment in the informal sector (i.e., unpaid work on family farms and businesses), the Thai definition of "employed" is a minimum of 1 hour of such work per week. In contrast, Korea defines the minimum as 18 hours per week. Obviously, Korea will count more family farm/business workers as unemployed.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MAny Thais are self employed , and do very well. As an example there is a guy who sells ice cream on the beach in Pattaya. He has been doing it for over 12 years. He has been able to buy two houses a couple of motorcycles and a nice Ford Ranger....from selling ice cream....So people who don't know the income potential should really think twice before criticizing

So what? The junta is doing their utmost to provide happiness, with bike events and ear-worm songs, everyone is allowed to speak out what he thinks, as long as it is in accordance, millions of street vendors and motorbike jockey's without social security can afford mama noodles and mobile phones. What are you complaining about?

Why do you need to spout your bile out against the junta on this topic? I agree the promised 'changes and reforms' are still just that: ...promised, but these most totally fake unemployment figures do exist for ages here, I'd say from the day those statistics were started up in the-land-of-fake-and-face!

If ANYONE out there knows of ANYONE who needs a job out there, then let me know, and I will get them one.

Plenty of jobs to choose from.

As my, ...Thai, wife says: 'Plenty of Thais want a job, few Thais want to work'...!

A decent site here that provides factual detail on unemployment in Thailand, not for everyone and the numbers (the Thai bashers will say) are not to be trusted because they are Thai, I say they are worth looking at regardless!

http://web.nso.go.th/

Sorry, but 0.7% unemployment rate is unrealistic.

That's without going into further bashing about the numbers being manipulated.

Very few statistics are entirely accurate but they typically are reasonable indicators, what if we said the real number was say 2%, would you believe that?

It seems you are always at the antipods of Thai-bashing, qualifying any and every founded criticism with it...

Imagine there'd be a 'poll' among people having staff, ...a 'workforce', here, or wanting to hire one, and they'd be ask, when they would have the choice (location not been taken into consideration), from which Asean countries they'd like to hire their employees, the top three nations they'd pick, and which country they'd put as last. Can you honestly doubt Thailand would carry the red lantern?

I'd eat my best hat it'd be so, though I am certainly not a Thai-basher. Negating the problem will not help solving it, there are, looong term, solutions, but these would not be serving 'the system' in place, rather the opposite, so... Just take (even) a (half-)decent education system, for instance...

After having been here for 9 years of and on I dare say that it is impossible to measure unemployment in Thailand.

Maybe after you'd be here for, say, 12 years you'd change your statement to the more realistic IMO: 'it is impossible to measure employment in Thailand...!

3 million foreign workers in Thailand doing a job that takes 4 Thai people to do. Thats 12 million jobs for able bodied Thai's to do if Thailand boots out it's foreign work force.

Bash! Slam! Wallop!

Was it really worth posting that, like it adds what!

Like it tells the truth about the reality of the situation, maybe...? IMO so, no doubt. ...But quite opposite to what you're attempting to 'sell'.

I don't want to shatter you windows, but don't you realise that the Thais being the best, in all fields, is just an old propaganda tool used by 'the system' to allow itself to go on, forever when nobody stops those people, abusing of the masses of gullible Thais, for its own profit?

Like it tells the truth about the reality of the situation, maybe...? IMO so, no doubt. ...But quite opposite to what you're attempting to 'sell'.

I don't want to shatter you windows, but don't you realise that the Thais being the best, in all fields, is just an old propaganda tool used by 'the system' to allow itself to go on, forever when nobody stops those people, abusing of the masses of gullible Thais, for its own profit?

On that same note, I have seen how Chinese people in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore work.

I mean, I have noticed that they do work. Hard.

No comparisson.

Solly.

... I would be interested to see the correlation between household debt and household income...

Suuuuper high ratio.

Google "Asias surging household debt: how risky is it?"

Looking at household debt to GDP, altogether a better indicator, Thailand is:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/households-debt-to-gdp

Whereas the UK is:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/households-debt-to-gdp

And where would you come out when you would compare the debt per capita with the yearly income per capita for instance, hmm? Same-same but very different... May I guess you don't want to relativate the figures because it would not serve what you want to prove?

I think this article explains it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-02/thailand-s-unemployment-rate-is-a-ridiculously-low-0-6-here-s-why

"The informal sector of the Thai economy, comprising anyone who's not covered by formal work arrangements, accounted for more than 64 percent of the total workforce in 2013. It includes street vendors and taxi-motorbike drivers, the self-employed and those operating in gray areas of the economy. They are largely counted as employed."

Tell me what countries do not include the self employed as being employed.

Very few statistics are entirely accurate but they typically are reasonable indicators, what if we said the real number was say 2%, would you believe that?

I believe that the reason for the 0.7% number and the way it's calculated has to do with Thailand's fetish of creating a positive image for the poor people (aka the majority of this country).

"He attributed the low unemployment rate to the government’s continuous efforts to improve the chances of finding jobs for the unemployed. Those looking for employment are able to contact the Smart Job Center or the Smart Training Center for assistance."

It's the Smart Job Center, you don't get it?

When there's no system to report unemployed......how do they come at these conclusions.......it's fiction

To be fair, the Thai government conducts a household survey that nominally meets international standards. Thus, their data is accepted by organizations and used for comparisons worldwide.

However, there are critical differences between some countries in the detailed definitions of "employed" and "unemployed", and these differences could produce abnormally low or high reported rates.

For example, regarding employment in the informal sector (i.e., unpaid work on family farms and businesses), the Thai definition of "employed" is a minimum of 1 hour of such work per week. In contrast, Korea defines the minimum as 18 hours per week. Obviously, Korea will count more family farm/business workers as unemployed.

You are absolutely correct I don't know why Bangrak and the other posters have not read your post. Thai employment or unemployment is easy to figure as you have stated. For the Dec 2015 numbers check out http://web.nso.go.th/en/survey/data_survey/050259_summary_December58.pdf

Unemployment rate below 1%.

I've been cheesy.gif before and I'm doing it again... cheesy.gif

If the authorities (or the labor department) could only once explain in reasonable terms to the public how that allegedly tiny unemployment rate is measured and by what criteria, we might - just might - stop the cheesy.gif and lend them some credence. Until then, cheesy.gif it is.

Their accounting method is mind boggling.

Edited by khaowong1

Unemployment rate below 1%.

I've been cheesy.gif before and I'm doing it again... cheesy.gif

If the authorities (or the labor department) could only once explain in reasonable terms to the public how that allegedly tiny unemployment rate is measured and by what criteria, we might - just might - stop the cheesy.gif and lend them some credence. Until then, cheesy.gif it is.

Their accounting method is mind boggling.

The Labor Force Survey (LFS) has been undertaken by the National Statistical Office (NSO) since 1963. ....... The first round is in February, the second is in May, the third and the fourth rounds are in August and November respectively. Moreover, starting in 2001, the LFS has been conducted on monthly basis.

The main objective of the LFS is to estimate the number and the characteristics of the labor force of the country.

A Stratified Two - Stage Sampling was adopted . Provinces were constituted strata. The primary and secondary sampling units were blocks for municipal areas, villages for non-municipal areas and private households/ persons in the special households respectively. ....... The sample selection of blocks/villages was performed separately and independently. Labor force information was obtained through interviewing method of head or member of households by experienced enumerators.

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/stat/lfs_e/lfse.htm

Pretty much the same way most countries do it and in line with the below organizations.

ILO : International Labour Organization IMF : International Monetary Fund ISI : International Statistical Institue IAOS : International Association of Statistics OECD : Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development EuroStat : The Statistical Office of the European Communities WB : The World Bank UN/ESCAP : United Nations Economic Commission for Asia and the Pacific, Statistics Division UN/ECE : Economic Commission for Europe UN/ECLAC : United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean UNESCO : United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization FAO : United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization POPIN : United Nations Population Information Network UNSD : United Nations Statistics Division WHO : World Health Organization WTO : World Tourism Organization WTO : World Trade Organization Edited by Scotwight

To answer to some of the previous posters that were wondering what's the story with the cars. And this actually confirms what Wilsonandson said.

In many developed countries, three-fourths of household debt is in the form of mortgages. In Thailand and Malaysia, half is consumption-related -- credit-card, personal loans and auto loans.

The assets underlying consumption-related loans depreciate in value quickly. In contrast, house prices usually go up, so a house is considered an investment.

So one type of loan makes borrowers poorer, while another type makes them richer. Unfortunately, Thai and Malaysian consumers are holding a lot of the former.

post-243567-0-21986100-1458573151_thumb.

Edited by lkv

What bash will it be tomorrow?

People have a choice to believe the reasons stated in this current article (created for local consumption in a country that restricts freedom of speech for the press), or reasons stated in international media like the article I attached in my previous comment.

I know which one I'm going to believe.

The same foreign media that made it sound like a war broke out in Thailand almost 2 years ago when the military took over?

I remember friends texting me asking if I was ok...

Out of all the BS statistics from the Government, this one is the most dubious. Other than communist states where central government supplies all jobs directly and pays all workers directly, there's no way a mere 1% of the Thai working-age population not employed.

Edited by jerojero

By the way, I agree that unemployment rate is low. I obviously can't give a percentage, but below 1% sounds about right. I have a hard time finding staff for my business, let alone keeping them for longer periods of time ( it has gotten better though :) )

Now, some food for thought for the Thailand bashers claiming it is not the real percentage and it must be a lot higher.

Obviously you think it is a lot higher because you see drunks on the street..."young" people at home all day...grand parents ( maybe in their 50's ) taking care of grand kids or generally older people but still "too young" too be retired...

Ever thought that they don't actually need to work? The grand parents saved enough money or get enough from their kids...the drunks you see out and about, may be married and the wife is working ( don't agree with this, but it is a common practice it seems ). I could go on and on.

Should they be considered unemployed?

Remember when you were a kid and your dad went to work and mom stayed at home taking care of all the housework? Was she considered unemployed? No, because dad was able to provide for the entire family...something that got lost in the last 2 or 3 decades. Now dad AND mom have to work to earn a living. Something that hasn't happened here in Thailand...yet.

P.S.: I am not defending Thailand or Thais...just seeing it objective. And this case goes in Thailands favor and I am happy that they seem to have something good going for them with so much negative stuff going on at the same time.

By the way, I agree that unemployment rate is low. I obviously can't give a percentage, but below 1% sounds about right. I have a hard time finding staff for my business, let alone keeping them for longer periods of time ( it has gotten better though smile.png )

Don't know what kind of business you are running, but the issue might be finding educated, skilled, trained people which makes a whole lot of difference.

When I watch around me, I can see a high number of people with low education level and no bankable skills that are unemployed now because they've lost their jobs due to the economic downturn (end of contrat and not renewed, shop has closed etc.). They do need to work for sure, though.

I'm pretty certain that none of them are counted in the unemployment figures because they don't register anywhere as such. Why would they? no money from the government to be expected.

That makes me dubious about these unemployment rates...

It bears repeating:

- Thailand uses basically the same survey techniques as developed countries to estimate the unemployment rate

- Thailand's criteria for employment is very generous, and counts a person as employed if they worked only one hour in a week, even if it was unpaid work

- In a well-functioning employment market, many economists believe "full employment" exists when the unemployment rate is in the range of 3 to 5 percent. That is because some fraction of the workforce is between jobs, or taking a short term break, yet still looking for work, and thus counted as unemployed.

My opinion is that the Thai unemployment rate reported at around 1% cannot be compared with many other countries, because of the measurement difference. Also, a rate of 1% is unreasonably low in a market where the government provides no guarantees of employment, and so much of the labor force (40 to 60% per various reports) is in an informal or seasonal market. However, it is still useful as an internal measure for Thailand, from year to year if measured consistently.

I think this is true.

I placed an ad in the Bangkok post for sexy models. I am a professional photographer ( using my iPhone), Asked for girls to come to my

condo for a photo shoot. I told them they wouldn't get any money, but would provide free soda and Lays Potato chips. And M&M chocolates,

for the real hot ones. No one has come.

So it must be true, right ?

this is so weird. i did the same thing. only i said i had air conditioning, a TV and bottle of blend 285. three showed up. :)

A decent site here that provides factual detail on unemployment in Thailand, not for everyone and the numbers (the Thai bashers will say) are not to be trusted because they are Thai, I say they are worth looking at regardless!

http://web.nso.go.th/

Sorry, but 0.7% unemployment rate is unrealistic.

That's without going into further bashing about the numbers being manipulated.

It seems you are always at the antipods of Thai-bashing, qualifying any and every founded criticism with it...

Imagine there'd be a 'poll' among people having staff, ...a 'workforce', here, or wanting to hire one, and they'd be ask, when they would have the choice (location not been taken into consideration), from which Asean countries they'd like to hire their employees, the top three nations they'd pick, and which country they'd put as last. Can you honestly doubt Thailand would carry the red lantern?

I'd eat my best hat it'd be so, though I am certainly not a Thai-basher. Negating the problem will not help solving it, there are, looong term, solutions, but these would not be serving 'the system' in place, rather the opposite, so... Just take (even) a (half-)decent education system, for instance...

"It seems you are always at the antipods of Thai-bashing". Often, not always, only whenever there is a genuine positive element that needs to be considered, one that the bashers in their rush to bash can't see. Thai society is blighted with a plethora of indefensible ills, corruption, a dysfunctional education system, dual pricing and much more, the rational person wouldn't try to defend those things and I would never try, but neither would I simply bash them for the sake of it because that's not productive.

But when the discussion turns to other aspects of life here, many people miss the wood for the trees because the norm is to disbelieve and bash, this thread is evidence of that. Balance in all things I say, that's what I'm trying to "sell", that an end to the conspiracy theories which account for so much about life here, in the eyes of many, mostly centered around the state of the economy and THB.

As for the unemployment numbers: they are calculated the same way that most countries that are unable to count precisely calculate theirs, by sampling and it's always been done that way, it's quite reliable, within a small margin of error.

... I would be interested to see the correlation between household debt and household income...

Suuuuper high ratio.

Google "Asias surging household debt: how risky is it?"

Looking at household debt to GDP, altogether a better indicator, Thailand is:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/households-debt-to-gdp

Whereas the UK is:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/households-debt-to-gdp

And where would you come out when you would compare the debt per capita with the yearly income per capita for instance, hmm? Same-same but very different... May I guess you don't want to relativate the figures because it would not serve what you want to prove?

I don't know, I didn't look, my point was that comparison against GDP is a more appropriate and robust method that rules out any quirks in the comparison, loan to equity regulations set by UK government being one of them, the generally low average income in Thailand being another - the Thai middle is growing in numbers but the bulk of the population still remains the poor rural low income group whereas the bulk of household debt is attributable to the middle and upper class hence the numbers skew disproportionately if you go the per capita route,

And I have nothing I want to prove, I posted the comparison to stimulate thought and to provide a contrast, a previous poster suggested the economics picture was dire and I don't believe it is hence a like for like comparison proves that it is not dire, by comparison.