Linux-supported Vdo-capture/tv-tuner Cards

Cyberstar

Hi.

I have been looking for a Linux supported video capture card (preferable PCI), mainly for the purpose of turning analog video tapes into cd/dvd's. These seem to come only as combined TV-tuner/VDO capture cards, which is okay although I'm not interested in the TV-tuner part.

Worldwide, there seems to exist quite a few well supported cards and it seems that - provided you've got one of these cards - the Linux-kernel makes it possible to do whatever you can do on Windows, plus there're a lot of free applications, some of which promise even more functionality than their expensive Windows counterparts.

Thus - as far as my research has went - the only problem I'll have to solve to get going is to find out where to get one of those well-supported cards here in Thailand.

I've searched the web for references to such cards. Lots of tits and bits, but the best single reference I've found is this list of tv-cards supported by the kernel:

linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Cardlist.BTTV

Equipped with this list, I've checked all possible places in Chiang Mai and found none from the list. However, I've seen other models of some of the same brands. They might or might not work - maybe even directly out of the box and maybe after modifying one or two parameters in the proper config file related to an existing driver ... Some geek might just love this sort of experimentations - but, I'd hate it.

So - does anyone know about a VDO-capture / TV-tuner card avaiable in Thailand and known to work under Linux ... I don't mind going to Bangkok getting it, if I know it exists - and I don't mind fiddling a bit with parameters in config files, if I know the fiddling will work.

The 7daysit.com seems to be not more expensive like you would expect. compare the prices with http://www.hwhinter.com (check the DVD writer I just bought)

I bought a LG H10L for 1850 Baht at HardwareHouse, a retailer with many shops in Panthip, it seems that 7daysit.com sales the same drive for 1,645.00 Baht (including TAX)...not bad,,,not bad at all....

All I had a hard time to get the Lightscribe option to work under Linux, but working now.... as I said before have a Lightscribe for Linux package available (no cost, including source...if somebody can improve it...)

Edited by Richard-BKK