Laptop broken, new one or desktop PC?

CLW

Hello,

My good old Dell Precision M6300 finally broken. No chance to repair it.

So now I'm thinking between buying a new laptop or build my own desktop PC from components.

I use the computer for CAD and occasional gaming.

So for a laptop should be a so called mobile workstation or gaming laptop.

But first, they are quite expensive and second, everything else than portable (heavy weight and big size).

So my tendency is towards the desktop PC. Or second hand laptop?

Because I never took the Dell somewhere and most things on the move I can do on my smartphone if necessary.

Any suggestions or comments?

IMHO I think desktop computers last longer than laptops, I think laptops last on average of 4 years. Also I think gaming computers are better if you have good spec, I have one from Chillblast computers in England, very fast and quite and I do not even play games on it, I use it for work. The old saying "you get what you pay" is very true with computers buy cheap and they do not last and do not perform.

My opinion is not to buy a Dell, Also, if you could happily play games on the Dell Precision M6300 then go for a new Laptop as laptop these days have come way down in price and are much more powerful.

Actually, I don't like using Desktops anymore they are old school, IMO

Another point pro desktop PC, now at my laptop the graphics card is broken.

Because it's a laptop I only can replace it with that one specific card.

For a desktop PC, the replacement of components much easier and cheaper.

Maybe, seems like you have made up your mind, but Laptop's are becoming disposable at this stage.

I went through exactly the same path, from a huge heavy powerful Dell Precision Mobile Workstation, to my choice of a DIY desktop build. yeah you get advantage of selecting specific graphic card, for CAD ( mine is Quardo ) or for gaming. you also get the luxury of working on a bigger screen.

desktop delivers better and smoother processing power than laptop, especially when you work with CAD. there are specific workstation motherboards available too ( no gaming board ), if you really need a heavy workhorse. on the road, I have a Surface Pro just for viewing my CAD data, but not for heavy modelling.

have fun !

Maybe, seems like you have made up your mind, but Laptop's are becoming disposable at this stage.

Precisely, you have to junk the whole thing.

Desktops add a lot more future-proofing.

If you don't need/want to go mobile with your computer go with a desktop. Now all of my computers are laptops because I like to use my laptop anywhere in the house (most of the time downstairs on the dining room table), pick it up and carry it around...go to the bathroom with it if necessary...put it in the car and take it with me on a trip....etc...etc...etc. I'm also not a gamer not to imply laptops can't play game. Besides when you get a desktop then if you desire you can go out and buy a high end graphics card for games/CAD that costs as much as a laptop...put a car radiator in it to cool the CPU...install neon lights...etc... more options with a desktop.

CLW... can't you replace the graphics card ? I have the precision's brother going on 10 years now and I can still buy a replacement card. Living in Thailand means compromizing. I want a bigger screen than the 17 inch and higher res for my next one....but taking a 23-27 inch screen on a plane back home is very difficult. NIC's are too limited , and a desktop is also too big for transport. So little choice , probably a laptop again but smaller ( 15,4 inch) with a bigger screen that stays in Thailand. External screens also don't have battery power for big & small power dropouts.

CLW... can't you replace the graphics card ? I have the precision's brother going on 10 years now and I can still buy a replacement card. Living in Thailand means compromizing. I want a bigger screen than the 17 inch and higher res for my next one....but taking a 23-27 inch screen on a plane back home is very difficult. NIC's are too limited , and a desktop is also too big for transport. So little choice , probably a laptop again but smaller ( 15,4 inch) with a bigger screen that stays in Thailand. External screens also don't have battery power for big & small power dropouts.

I was at Pantip and Fortune Town repair places and Dell service point.

Some could order a card from abroad for ~260$. Dell said it's not worth, unfortunately true.

For that money I can almost build the desktop PC without screen.

If my Dell wouldn't be 5 years already maybe a repair would be worth but it's just a matter of time until the next component breaks down.

5 years is not old. I can still buy my nVidia GS 7900 for around 50 $ , it is the only part that I don't have from an identical second hand machine . Yes 260 $ is too much , you have a more difficult card in the precision.

• 4 weeks later...

Update

I built my own PC with components.

Went to Fortune Town to the Jet computer. Can highly recommend.

There is a young lady who can speak English and help you with the co nfiguration.

They also built my PC in less than one hour without charge.

Even the put the graphics card which I had to purchase at JIB computer because they didn't have this model. Good customer service.

My screen I bought at Banana IT.

LG 21,5" IPS

I'll keep using desktops as long as they are available. They are easily repaired or upgraded. Laptop problems are normally major and expensive to repair. I do have both.

My last desktop purchase was a Dell Precision. Dell service in Thailand is excellent. Full three year warranty at your home. I asked them how they can offer that service. I was told that Dell knows you will have no problems.