Greenbook & Thai Drivers License: Residence Permit?

Attempted to get a residence certificate at ze German embassy in Bangkok the other day, and was told that my tourist visa status wasn't good enough for their esteemed and glorious rules.

Germans.

I read here somewhere on the forum that Bangkok Immigration doesn't issue residence permits to vagrants like myself, who aren't on some kind of visa requiring the 90 day dance. Which is leaving me a little confounded ....

Any ideas or pointers on how to get a residence certificate, or other creative means to obtain a driver's license (and ideally though optionally, get my own name into the new motorbike greenbook)? I'm not worried about fees and such, just would like to be semi legit with the riding adventures on occasion.

Input appreciated.

Edited by hnsighttha

immigration at Jomtien will issue a residence certificate or 10 if you want , just show them an address of where you are staying, can be hotel or apartment , utility bill or anything with a Pattaya address on it.

Of course your certificate will be valid only until your visa/entry stamp runs out

I believe I have heard of people getting a residency cert/drivers lic on a tourist visa. Think you just need a lease agreement or letter from hotel etc to confirm where you are staying. Try a google search or search this forum,there is plenty of up to date info. Good luck!

I believe I have heard of people getting a residency cert/drivers lic on a tourist visa. Think you just need a lease agreement or letter from hotel etc to confirm where you are staying. Try a google search or search this forum,there is plenty of up to date info. Good luck!

"I believe I've heard" ... that's handy! ;)

I searched the forums, obviously, before going through the trouble of posting a whole new thread. Because, other threads say, no residence paper without 90 day reporting in Bangkok.

Would be awesome to catch someone who happens across this thread, with actionable advice!

http://tielandtothailand.com/certificate-residency/

ying. Try a google search or search this forum,there is plenty of up to date info. Good luck!

"I believe I've heard" ... that's handy! wink.png

I searched the forums, obviously, before going through the trouble of posting a whole new thread. Because, other threads say, no residence paper without 90 day reporting in Bangkok.

Would be awesome to catch someone who happens across this thread, with actionable advice!

Mmmmm ok keep your shirt on. First Google search result was:

http://tielandtothailand.com/certificate-residency/

4th Google result was:

http://donslifeinthailand.com/Thai-Drivers-License-2.html

All I did was Google "residency certificate thailand with tourist visa" Not difficult at all. However one word of warning, some Immigration offices, licensing centres have different rules/requirements. I note that the first two results of my 5 second search saying a Tourist Visa was acceptable were from Chiang Mai.

Good luck.....again!

not hard to get thai drivers licence. i have had 3 so far on a visa exempt stamp first 2 ,1 year only. last 1 2016 last for 2 years .better if you have international licence as no driving test,just a few easy questions,eye test, eye coordination,brake test.first go to license center and get a letter which you take to immigration , they then give you a letter which you take back to test center via the hospital which will also give you a letter .do your test, pay 630 bht (that was for car & motorbike) picture taken, walk out with license. ps immigration charge 1000 bht.

Edited by agrow

You can get a residency certificate from Immigration based on any type of visa although not all Immigration staff understand that necessarily, if at first told no, try someone else and/or a different office.

As a last resort your embassy can issue one although it will cost a lot more.

You can get a residency certificate from Immigration based on any type of visa although not all Immigration staff understand that necessarily, if at first told no, try someone else and/or a different office.

As a last resort your embassy can issue one although it will cost a lot more.

Did you miss the fact that his embassy will not issue one? He already tried.

OP Unfortunately it looks as if you will need to take a trip to a different area. As has been said Pataya, Chang Mai, and Udon Thani immigration officers will all issue them, though they may also request a contribution to the Tea fund, the standard gift seems to be 500 baht.

DLT IN Udon Thani will also be happy to issue a driving license though you may need an IDP to avoid the tests. They may follow the regulations and accept your UK one if it's a photo card version.

I'm sure that with an IDP you will have no problem, as I used a Japanese licence I needed one, as my UK licence is not a photo card version so I couldn't use either without an IDP.

This will be your opportunity to visit some other parts of the land of smiles ;)

Edited by sometimewoodworker

let me specify

PHUKET will not issue u a rc on a tourist visa :-)

note those 2 year licenses are TEMP licenses and can not be used outside Thiand

a 5 year one is valid around the world

why would u get 3 temp licenses and not change them to a 5 year license? could it be cause ur not on a long term visa??

I have held a 5 year license since the early 90's

The other questions two have been checked already?

Will DLT issue a DL to a tourist visa (or visa exempt) holder?

Will DLT enter such person in the green book?

These would be better placed in the motoring forum.

let me specify

why would u get 3 temp licenses and not change them to a 5 year license? could it be cause ur not on a long term visa??

I have had two temp lic's because of my lic being due same time as my 1 yr visa extension renewal. When they look at my passport and see I only have a 30 day "under consideration" stamp they refuse to give me more than the temp. Next time I will go well before lic renewal date and see if that works. Main hurdle is I live in Kalasin, no Imm Office so we have to go to Sakon, a 3 hour 1 way trip. I would like to renew lic closer, say Udon, coz only 1 hour away but am told you have to go to original lic centre?

Believe me I would much prefer a 5 year lic, if they'd give me one, instead of all the running around!

let me specify

i don't live in Thailand, i only come every year for 1 to 2 months that's y i can't get 5 year.

if ur only in Thailand for 1-2 months u dont need a driver license from here as ur on a tourist visa so ur own countries license is valid.

Many people obtain Thai driver's licences to prove they have some kind of status in Thailand. Including occasionally being able to obtain local prices at some tourist attractions. Or as an alternative to showing a passport for ID. It's not just about driving here.

if ur only in Thailand for 1-2 months u dont need a driver license from here as ur on a tourist visa so ur own countries license is valid.

i have a car & motor bike here, a thai license makes it easy for insurance also a lot easy at road side stops by the bib.

immigration at Jomtien will issue a residence certificate or 10 if you want , just show them an address of where you are staying, can be hotel or apartment , utility bill or anything with a Pattaya address on it.

Of course your certificate will be valid only until your visa/entry stamp runs out

I'm on an O visa/extension of stay....Went to Jomtien IO recently, they also require copies of passport and visa page/s