Saint Louis hospital.

malt25

Hi all.

I'm currently in Bangkok recovering from surgery performed at Saint Louis hospital. I won't write a novel about the procedure & care, other than to say I'm extremely happy with every aspect.

Anyone interested in a more in depth discussion about the surgery or the hospital, please contact me. I'm happy to pass on my experiences re this "adventure"

Cheers..... Mal.

I hope when you have some time and are bored that you will write a short novel about your experiences at St. Louis Hosp. It is often mentioned on this forum as a less expensive alternative to the 5 Star for profit facilities that are now beginning to rival Western Hospitals in their billing practices.

It would be a great resource for many on this forum.

Hire a temporary maid/companion? They're around. Not hookers either. I could easily hire one of the housekeepers or concierge staff at my hotel. Of course they couldn't be there everyday at all times but could probably take care of essentials. The hospital might also have temporary caregivers for hire.

More than happy to discuss,but bang for the buck I believe is good at your hospital. Was about to go under the knife or laser elsewhere couple of weeks ago for prostate (15k baht) ,its as big as Texas 124 gms,but hearing of new procedure elsewhere pulled out,awaiting more information

PS A hooker will do as a caregiver,may wake up a bit quicker

Edited by loppylugs1

I hope when you have some time and are bored that you will write a short novel about your experiences at St. Louis Hosp. It is often mentioned on this forum as a less expensive alternative to the 5 Star for profit facilities that are now beginning to rival Western Hospitals in their billing practices.

It would be a great resource for many on this forum.

G'day again. Happy to supply a bit more info on my stay at St Louis. I had to do a bit of a grin when asked to expand on my original post. I'm usually criticized for rambling on too much. BUT,

Ok, firstly to johnds99. You absolutely DON"T need a carer or family member with you. My wife insisted in being with me. I didn't, & still don't understand this custom, but hey, when in Rome ! The attention & care provided from the time I walked in the door until I was discharged was in some ways "over the top" At times I felt somewhat embarrassed by all the fuss. I could write a page on the care & service received, but I hope you will all understand where I'm coming from. I'll expand if requested. So John, forget about having a carer in St Louis.

I'll provide a bit of background to my situation..... I've had problems with both knees for an eternity. Had an arthroscopy on both knees 10 years ago. Have been on anti inflammatory & pain killers for many years. Both worked, somewhat at first, but of little benefit over the past 6 months or so. Over the past 3 months the pain & reduction in lifestyle prompted decision for surgery.

Researched TKR (total knee replacement) in Australia initially. Way too expensive even with private health refund.

Researched India. BIG medical tourism industry, especially orthopedics. Original e-mail was responded to within a few hours of sending. Price & service offered was good. Was on my shopping list until I found St Louis.

Researched local, provincial hospitals in northers Isaan. Found one that would perform 1 TKR for 140,000 baht. Will expand on this if requested.

Researched all hospitals & orthopedic surgeons in Bangkok. Most responded in reasonable time. Some requested ridiculous medical background & information even prior to making an appointment for actual diagnosis. The price quoted by some was laughable.

Response from St Louis was prompt, informative & estimated cost what I considered reasonable. They offered lead time for appointment with surgeon for assessment & other relevant info. I had meeting with surgeon for assessment 10 days later.

About St Louis.

After meeting with the surgeon was introduced to admin staff. Discussed costing, made appointment, walked through procedure & answered all my questions. ESTIMATE cost was 350,000 baht for 1 TKR & 550,000 baht for 2 TKR if done at same time. Additional 15,000 baht for pre-surgery medical the day prior to surgery. I agreed on having both procedures done at same time. Expecting to pay somewhere around 600,000 baht. There's always those little extras at check bin payment time !!!

I arrived at the hospital 7:00am day prior to surgery. Nil by mouth for 12 hours previous Taken to private room. Large room, great view from 15th floor. Presented with pajamas & bathroom kit.

Wheeled off for several X-rays. Many capsules of blood taken for tests. The mandatory temp, pulse, blood pressure taken hourly. Very professional. All tests ok.

Procedure performed 14:00 following day. I'm happy to go into detail of lead up to me being put to sleep & waking after procedure if anyone interested.

The care, service, was, if anything, over the top. Always 2 or 3 nurses, hourly to monitor everything. Urine output, temp, pulse, blood pressure, monitor intravenous. Had 2 intravenous. One via spine & other via hand.

Every 3 hours for the entire time I was in hospital, I was visited my a senior doctor & nurses for assessment & a chat.

At least 3 nurses provided bed, sponge bath, twice every day. Clean pajamas offered every time. Bath was, at least, extremely thorough.

Food was ok. Steak, fish or pork chop...veggies... soup... fruit. Bacon, sausages & eggs for breakfast & fruit.

Discharge day. Advised I could walk, elevator, to accounts department or they would come to bedside. I chose to take myself. With all the attention & care & a new pair of crutches, I was expecting to pay the 600,000 bath. Given an itemized in voice...... Total 509,000 baht. Oh, this included 2,000 baht cost for my wife to occupy the room for the night I was in ICU following surgery. We were offered the option of her going to a hotel, but we elected to utilize the room.

So ! there's my short novel, well, kinda short. As previous, more than happy to provide specifics on any facet of my "adventure" I hope this is of some interest & possibly assists someone in making a decision, one way or the other.

Cheers..... Mal.

Oh, FYI. Either the surgeon or his assistant for the operation, visited me at least once a day, sometimes more.

Johnds99

A private caregiver isn't really necessary in the private hospitals I've been in, the old Bangkok Nursing Home twice and Vibhavadi three times. The nursing staffs are quite good and attentive.

Mac

+1

I have been a patient several times in private hospitals here without a companion, no problem at all.

For that matter plenty of foreigners and even some Thais in government hospitals without a companion. Should be sure in that circumstance to be in a ward rather than private room.

Glad I looked up on this post, could see you looked up India as alternative,not everyone wants to travel,but sure is cheap. Just got back after arranging surgery at £300 for prostate,cancelled for alternative ,not for cheaper ,but diff,now £190 for the op.

BUPA UK are shipping patients out to India for knee/hip ops too,cheapest knee op Ive seen at one of the higher up hospitals there at under $700,top end (guess ceramic) $1400

Makes me sick to see the pricing here 450.000 baht for operation,that there is less than 10,000 baht,might pay extra for hooker to travel with me though

Thanks to the OP for a very informative report. St. Louis is looking better and better as a go to facility.

As a hospital, it would be my preferred choice for inpatient care - provided it has the right doctor for what you need.

Like any hospital, St Louis has both good and not -so-good docs. It does not have as many to choose from/as wide a range as say Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital, which would rule it out for some types of specialized problem.s On the other hand due to its location, some top professors from Chula have private hours there. So as always, comes down to choosing the doctor.

I have personally been a patient at St. Louis, Bumrungrad (x3), Samitivej and Bangkok Hospital, and stayed with relatives during their hospitalizations at Bangkok Christian and Bangkok Hospital. Out of these 5, the nursing care was best at St. Louis followed by Bangkok Christian, then Samitivej, then Bangkok Hosp. Worst in Bumrungrad. (This is judging in terms of professional nursing functions, not frills or the speed with which a nurses's aid responds to the call button).

A few tips about using St L:

- their website shows all in Thai with no English option, but if you go to the far left, the little menus for accomodation, check up packages and find a doctor are in both languages and if you click on find doctor that menu comes up with an English option. Once the doctors are listed click on "more" under any of the names and it will shows some details. The details are not as much info as one would like but better than nothing, you can at least identify those with training abroad.

-if being hospitalized, they have a wide range of accomodation with rates ranging from as low as 1,900 baht (inclusive of food & nursing charge) to as high as 8,500 ("VIP" suite".) The admissions dept will try to push you towards the more expensive rooms, even to the point of not showing you the cheaper options. Be firm. The ward rooms are fine if it will be just a day surgery or day procedure (my sister had coonoscopy and was the only patient in the 12 bed ward, no problem for me to stay with her). The semi-private room is OK for short stay, has a couch where a family member can sleep. If you really don't want a roommate and/or want to have more than one person staying overnight with you, then basic private room is fine. Sounds like OP had either private room or VIP room, could have cut 3,000-5,000 baht a day off the bill had he been in a semi-private.

"Sounds like OP had either private room or VIP room, could have cut 3,000-5,000 baht a day off the bill had he been in a semi-private."

Definitely not a VIP room. I opted for a private room. You never know who you might be sharing a room with & also knew I'd be having many visitors.

Private room offered ... large flat screen TV, micro wave, hot water pot thingy, crockery & cutlery for 4. Comfy couch that folded down to double bed. Bedding for visitors bed as requested. Several visitors chairs. Large bathroom with toiletry pack.

No, I'm not on a commission, just happy to pass on what I felt was more that adequate for my stay.

If anyone is interested ... I'm recovering pretty well. Still some pain but reducing day by day. Have to say, being stuck in a hotel waiting ok from surgeon to fly back home ... BORING!!! BUT, I'll survive. thumbsup.gif

Cheers.