Bangkok is the second-most congested city in the world

webfact

Yes tell me about it soi 22 to soi 13 sukhumvit 30 minutes.

Could have walked to there and back...but then, one has to first walk...

Sometimes a sidewalk, sometimes not. But always bloody hot!!!!!!! 55555

it's the motorbike taxi guys creeping up behind you on the sidewalk I don't like

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bangkok's problem is the layout of the road grid and the percentage of road surface in relation to the total surface. There are just not enough roads in Bangkok, compared to other cities in the world, and the inter connectivity of the roads is just plain hopeless. The roads here don't connect. Just have a look at the maps (Google) of Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei and Bangkok and you'll see the difference.

The only way to solve this is for the Government to start seizing lands and properties and start connecting the roads. Without eminent domain, the cities infrastructure will be hopeless. Not even 100 BTS lines can change this.

Bangkok's problem is the layout of the road grid and the percentage of road surface in relation to the total surface. There are just not enough roads in Bangkok, compared to other cities in the world, and the inter connectivity of the roads is just plain hopeless. The roads here don't connect. Just have a look at the maps (Google) of Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei and Bangkok and you'll see the difference.

The only way to solve this is for the Government to start seizing lands and properties and start connecting the roads. Without eminent domain, the cities infrastructure will be hopeless. Not even 100 BTS lines can change this.

Bangkok, in my opinion, carries the top spot for the most number of T-junctions. This is the main reason for the gridlocked traffic.

Yes tell me about it soi 22 to soi 13 sukhumvit 30 minutes.

Could have walked to there and back...but then, one has to first walk...

Sometimes a sidewalk, sometimes not. But always bloody hot!!!!!!! 55555

it's the motorbike taxi guys creeping up behind you on the sidewalk I don't like

I don't like them driving against traffic since i have to keep lept on my motobike. The police has told me many times to do that and even let me pay bribes when i didn't.

If you life in bangkok, I only used a car for go upcountry.. Inside Bangkok only use Skytrain so good as possible...

There are some spots where the traffic is too much and I can't understand why people go every day only for sit in the car for 1-2 hours.....

The BTS only covers a small portion of Bangkok, primarily key arteries in central Bangkok. I live in western Bangkok and the nearest BTS terminal is about 5 KMs away from my Bangkok residence as the crow flies. Yea, the BTS is fine to go to a limited range of places within Bangkok. Fortunately the BTS is slowly expanding its lines/coverage...give it another 5 years and it will cover more of Bangkok but even then when looking at Bangkok as a whole the BTS will still only cover a limited portion. Many more cars, buses, and taxis are still in Bangkok's future even with the BTS expansion.

What Bangkok's public transport network will look like in 2020 (hopefully, but they do have a plan)

Yea, a graphic like that make the rapid transit system look impressive...covering almost anywhere you want to go in Bangkok--NOT!!! Still kilometers of distance between some of those routes....and it's still primarily concentrated on central Bangkok with some fingers reaching out to other parts of the Metropolitan area. Works fine if a person's residence, work, and shopping needs are close to those routes; otherwise it's car, bus, taxi time. But yea, expand the rapid transit system as it definitely helps to reduce road traffic by X-amount.

This is exactly the problem. Confounded by the "solutions " they come up with by turning roads into one ways , blocking intersections so that the only way to go straight is left, u-turn, left, etc etc. Plus the worst of all , the Fools in Brown controlling the intersections that are blessed enough even to have traffic lights. The roads that do exist are too long between intersections and no lights exist to control traffic entering them. There is no shoulder on the roads for parked cars or even as a buffer; cars entering from sois or driveways can't turn left and get into the flow of traffic without using two or more lanes bc there is no radius to make the turn. Any time there is some sort of intersection or someone slows down, the whole system breaks down.

The list goes on. The system is an abject failure.

But no one will do a single thing about it.

Spent the night on Soi 39 this weekend. Took some 40 minutes to get to Suk from our hotel via taxi. It was only a few KM!! Traffic is horrible. It might be worse in other cities, but it's quite bad in Bangkok

do you see any positive sides of life in BKK?

Tat demands recount you heard it first here Due to corrupt data You Farangs know nothing Tat's spin on traffic is this where else can you get door to door service from urchin's selling klong water to people stuck in traffic? or some Durin so you can enjoy the sights and smells. Not to mention Bet on the Sukhumvit slider as he crawls up Sukhumvit pushing his bowl in front of him. Where the vast number of fat over weight old arsed frangs have at least one tiny young Thai chick clinging to there arm. Oh Bangkok We love you.

And what do these 2 cities have in common?

Corruption!

Thats the result of money going into deep pockets of leaders instead of building BTS. lines.

I actually think the BTS lines cause more trouble than what they are worth.

They cause majour delays for the year or so it takes to build a route.

What you must consider is, many times when they are finished they end up cutting the road from 3 wide lanes (each side) to 2.

It actually makes it worse for motorists IMO, as the very few middle class workers will stop using their cars and opt for the BTS.

MRT makes more sense as it doesnt end up using valuable land and road space but i guess being underground it is more expensive to build and they are obviously very lmited to where they can put them.

If you closed the police traffic light control boxes and put the lights on automatic ..............

There are sooooo many little things they could do to improve traffic, but that would require an efficient police force. Until then....well....

Another second place. When is Thailand going to be first at something?

Second in road deaths

Second in military coups

Second in capital city traffic congestion

What will the first place be? suggestions please.

Thainess wai.gif

If you life in bangkok, I only used a car for go upcountry.. Inside Bangkok only use Skytrain so good as possible...

There are some spots where the traffic is too much and I can't understand why people go every day only for sit in the car for 1-2 hours.....

The BTS only covers a small portion of Bangkok, primarily key arteries in central Bangkok. I live in western Bangkok and the nearest BTS terminal is about 5 KMs away from my Bangkok residence as the crow flies. Yea, the BTS is fine to go to a limited range of places within Bangkok. Fortunately the BTS is slowly expanding its lines/coverage...give it another 5 years and it will cover more of Bangkok but even then when looking at Bangkok as a whole the BTS will still only cover a limited portion. Many more cars, buses, and taxis are still in Bangkok's future even with the BTS expansion.

What Bangkok's public transport network will look like in 2020 (hopefully, but they do have a plan)

Yea, a graphic like that make the rapid transit system look impressive...covering almost anywhere you want to go in Bangkok--NOT!!! Still kilometers of distance between some of those routes....and it's still primarily concentrated on central Bangkok with some fingers reaching out to other parts of the Metropolitan area. Works fine if a person's residence, work, and shopping needs are close to those routes; otherwise it's car, bus, taxi time. But yea, expand the rapid transit system as it definitely helps to reduce road traffic by X-amount.

And if you want to go from Bang Yai to Siam you'll have to change to metro and back to skytrain again, including buying new tickets and taking long walks upstairs.

Well it's better than nothing but BKK deserves a better system.

Believe what I say I'm a 2nd lieutenant in the United States of America ARMY and I've been all over the world

Yes their is no place like home but sometimes home is where you make it

Sincerely readers

Forever to you all guys

But don't you Yankees have a saying that "second place is first loser"? Surely Thailand is good enough to come first in SOMETHING?

According to another article based on a variation of the same data Jakarta is number 1:

http://time.com/3695068/worst-cities-traffic-jams/

Bangkok only made number 8 on that list, and India still didn't register. It seems since they are using GPS data the results also vary by how available GPS data is. Here is the original source referenced in that article, with more details, but Time magazine citing it somehow made it seem more reliable (not that it necessarily indicates that):

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/city-with-worst-traffic-jakarta-indonesia-tops-castrol-s-ranking-of-cities-with-most-stop-starts