Bike Lane on Canal Road.

LarryBird

I rode it was a nice ride , anytime you ride u need to watch out for cars and motorbike , lane no lane, the first day food venders were moved off the lane , so far it seems they are doing a good job of keeping it cleared .

Clearly the bike lane designer has never actually ridden a bike.

Every single driveway, small lane and road has a stop sign for the bike riders to stop. It's narrow so lots of head on crashes or slow riders

I sense a lot of bikes slamming into the side of cars.

That canal road has plenty of shoulder room for riding bikes. I don't understand the need for the lane, except for really slow, inexperienced riders...and even then a car backing out is going to squash one of them.

Samoeng road has very little room for bikes and they seem to do ok.

Same as the person/people who design roads here have obviously never driven a car.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

I was driving up Thapae Road a few weeks back, when a cyclist jumped out onto the road infront of me. I hit the horn and narrowly avoided me, and he pointed at the image of a cyclist on the road, suggesting it was a bike lane. Little did I know, but now about one third of Thapae Road width is for cyclists. Even more surprising is that some people think the car drivers will notice, and they will put their life on the line to enforce it.

I was driving up Thapae Road a few weeks back, when a cyclist jumped out onto the road infront of me. I hit the horn and narrowly avoided me, and he pointed at the image of a cyclist on the road, suggesting it was a bike lane. Little did I know, but now about one third of Thapae Road width is for cyclists. Even more surprising is that some people think the car drivers will notice, and they will put their life on the line to enforce it.

So you were 1) in the wrong 2) not observant of your surroundings or the road markings and 3) its somehow his fault..

Yeah you sound like a car driver..

• 2 weeks later...

The Chinese already have a dedicated bike lane: right down the middle of any road, generally headed the wrong way. Right up there with a dedicated sidewalk. Exactly the same. I do not jest. Someday I'll have to spend a day and take pictures. How more of them don't end up on the TV News Darwin Award Report is beyond me.

So you were 1) in the wrong 2) not observant of your surroundings or the road markings and 3) its somehow his fault..

Yeah you sound like a car driver..

While attending University, a bicycle was my only mode of transport, and I rode daily on heavily traveled roads. Yeah, sure, under many circumstances a cyclist has the clear right-of-way, but I never was stupid enough to ignore the fact that any collision with a 2000+ lbs vehicle would leave me the loser no matter who was at fault - a fact that seems totally lost on today's hubris inclined, "I have the same rights to the road as cars" bicyclists. Unlike the US, if you get creamed by a car or motorcyclist while on your bicycle, your chances of having them pay for your hospitalization is 50-50, if they even bother to stop. Much easier to take their vehicle to Shady Somchai's Body Shop and have the ding repaired in the hood than report the incident to their insurance company, no less the BIB.

Edited by connda

Tried today first time, Could not get rhough the bollards in many places, too close together. Asd well, no speed can be maintained, all, stops and more stops and no go's Waste!

Dang. Well, at least they tried.

Jogging path, anyone?

Tried today first time, Could not get rhough the bollards in many places, too close together. Asd well, no speed can be maintained, all, stops and more stops and no go's Waste!

Just pull a wheelie.

Roads ain't playgrounds for Lycra Clowns

Go

Play in the Forrest n Tracks like we did as Kids

The cyclists in Chiang Mai are quite disciplined and seldom give any trouble on the road. Contrary, all the motorized vehicles are the problem. In fact most clowns are in this category. Very often car drivers have no respect for cyclists and cut in front of them. The cyclists that give problem on the roads are often tourists.

Yes ,the majority are ,but in our local club you often here the Boss Man rollicking riders for 2abreast ,and doing breakaways and their sod the motorist attitude.They remind me of Fortuna drivers a bit.Im the one puffing at the rear.[emoji479][emoji467]

Since when has any lane primarily reserved for a car been respected by a motorcyclist or bicyclist?

Since when has any lane primarily reserved for a motorcyclist been respected by a car or bicyclist?

Since when has any lane primarily reserved for a bicyclist been respected by a motorcyclist or car?

As a matter of fact, those lines on the road mean virtually nothing here in Thailand, regardless if you are in a car, or on a motorcycle or bicycle. If you think different, your freaking hubris will get you killed or injured.

"But, but, but....I have the moral, legal, and ethical high-ground."
Keep repeating that to yourself in the hospital. It can be your mantra. You will never understand your own abject stupidity.

Edited by connda

Yes ,the majority are ,but in our local club you often here the Boss Man rollicking riders for 2abreast ,and doing breakaways and their sod the motorist attitude.They remind me of Fortuna drivers a bit.Im the one puffing at the rear.[emoji479][emoji467]

It's an idiotic attitude that eventually gets one killed or injured over the long-term. The 'moral high-ground' card plays well in litigious American, but means next to nought here in the Land of Smiles. Ok, Somchai's insurance company pays you 100K THB for injuries that will cost you a few hundred thousand dollars (quid) to take care of in your own country. And of course, Thai hospitals won't give you the pain killers you need to heal and recuperate, so it's back to the home country you go, hubris and all. But by all means, keep that attitude bicyclists. Keep the attitude.

Have ya ever thought that maybe their attempting to slow you down to protect the pedestrians?

Have ya ever thought that maybe their attempting to slow you down to protect the pedestrians?

Of course not; he's a cyclist and owns the road. ;)