Paying electric bill with credit card?

Genericnic

Hi all.

I have a US based credit card that gives me a small rebate per dollar on all my purchases with it. I use it for dining, groceries, travel etc. I generally pay my electric bill at 7-11 and they won't charge it on the credit card. Does anyone know if I just take the quick drive over to PEA if they will let me pay with a card? Its not a big deal but over the course of a year, it adds up to a few dollars that can be used for more fun and interesting things.

Thanks

David

No, not possible.

Thanks. Just had to check.

David

No, but you can pay the bill online from any bank account. Doesn't have to be a Thai bank account. Will you save anything? I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use K-Bank. They are directly linked to the Electricity Authority, at least to MEA in BKK. Meaning you don't need any bill, it will show the balance automatically. Very convenient if you are not around.

You can use K-Bank. They are directly linked to the Electricity Authority, at least to MEA in BKK. Meaning you don't need any bill, it will show the balance automatically. Very convenient if you are not around.

correct but not PEA

Personally, you might not think it but they are doing you a favor by not allowing you to use your credit card! To me at least it doesn't make sense using your credit card to gain points/rebate..you paid a fee for the use like 3% overseas? Then you also thought about driving down to the company to pay it, just be glad they allow you to pay it at 7/11, ever been down to the place at times it is a mad house.

I can understand your reasons for wanting to use your Credit Card here for all purchases but may I give you a word of warning from my own personal experience? Don't do that here! They will copy your name and numbers and sell that to someone who will make a new card with that information on it and use it someplace else. It happened to me twice in 1 year and 3 times in 2 years.

The first time it happened I just wrote it off to anybody, because I was travelling all over and using my Credit Card everywhere, so it could have been any of these. But the next 2 times it happened in Thailand as this was the only place I used it then. The first time I used it in Thailand for my hotel bills and also eating out and car rental. I was pretty sure it was at this certain restaurant, so after getting my new card, which was a real pain when you travel a lot, I decided to only use my Credit Card to pay for my hotel room.

I had been staying at this same hotel for about 9 months and since I never had trouble before I thought it was safe. But as it turned out it was this hotel that was selling my card as this was the only place I used it. I passed this information onto Visa. But it got to the point that Visa did not believe me anymore. It was only by luck with them talking to me on the telephone in Thailand, that someone was using it right then in the States that changed there mind about me.

It has been years since but I think it is because I only use my Visa Credit Card very sparingly. I only use it at the bank to withdraw cash as I can get up to 150,000 Baht at once. I will use it to book tickets on airlines, like Lufthansa. Sometimes it is required, or at the very least highly suggested, that you use you Credit Card to check into a 5 Star Hotel. I will do this but I will stay pay by cash at the end to let them know I m watching my Credit Card very carefully. You will need it for a car rental, but I haven;t rented a car since then. But if needed I think you are pretty safe with them also. , .