In Praise of Thai Music

Fabricus

The best music I ever heard in my life was in Nigeria.

All the Nigerians know how to sing well. Every morning before they start work they would break off into smaller groups and sing a few songs. I guess it was more like Gospel as they were singing praise in hopes of a safe day at work. Give anyone of them a broom handle, a tin garbage can, and a garbage can lid and they made there own orchestra including Bongo Drums from tipped over plastic containers. I used to try an get out there each morning just so I could listen to them. Quite amazing actually.

Great post. I can vaguely identify with what you've written. I've never come across Nigerian music, however.

My understanding is that most experts on African music rate sounds from Mali at number one.

The following video was shot in Mali -- I wonder if it's similar to what you heard in Nigeria?

Another style worth checking out is the fusion between sub-saharan rhythms and Moroccan / Tuareg sounds.

I once had a GF whose surname was Nouali. She was a strikingly beautiful French girl of Tuareg / Mauritanian descent who loved this type of music.

That was interesting and different. Almost a touch of Blues in that and even though I don't understand the language it sounds like a sad Blues Song.

Nigeria Music is much more lively. If you ever seen some African Tribes doing a Wedding March with Maidens and the chanting and singing along with tribal dancing it is more along those lines. I could never dance to that music but you sure felt like doing something.

Somewhere else were I was really surprised and impressed with there music was Egypt. If you ever get a chance to go to an Egyptian Wedding then go. Very Lively Music with many different instruments being played. Fabulous Music! I am surprised that more of that type of music never came west.

All the Nigerians know how to sing well. Every morning before they start work they would break off into smaller groups and sing a few songs. I guess it was more like Gospel as they were singing praise in hopes of a safe day at work. Give anyone of them a broom handle, a tin garbage can, and a garbage can lid and they made there own orchestra including Bongo Drums from tipped over plastic containers. I used to try an get out there each morning just so I could listen to them. Quite amazing actually.

Great post. I can vaguely identify with what you've written. I've never come across Nigerian music, however.

My understanding is that most experts on African music rate sounds from Mali at number one.

The following video was shot in Mali -- I wonder if it's similar to what you heard in Nigeria?

Another style worth checking out is the fusion between sub-saharan rhythms and Moroccan / Tuareg sounds.

I once had a GF whose surname was Nouali. She was a strikingly beautiful French girl of Tuareg / Mauritanian descent who loved this type of music.

That was interesting and different. Almost a touch of Blues in that and even though I don't understand the language it sounds like a sad Blues Song.

Nigeria Music is much more lively. If you ever seen some African Tribes doing a Wedding March with Maidens and the chanting and singing along with tribal dancing it is more along those lines. I could never dance to that music but you sure felt like doing something.

Somewhere else were I was really surprised and impressed with there music was Egypt. If you ever get a chance to go to an Egyptian Wedding then go. Very Lively Music with many different instruments being played. Fabulous Music! I am surprised that more of that type of music never came west.

Good feedback.

I'll google Nigerian music and see what I think.

I too have been to Egypt (only Cairo, though) but can't recall having heard local music. I certainly didn't get to see a wedding.

Good to see your interests are so broad!

Good feedback.

I'll google Nigerian music and see what I think.

I too have been to Egypt (only Cairo, though) but can't recall having heard local music. I certainly didn't get to see a wedding.

Good to see your interests are so broad!

I first heard Egyptian Music in Cairo at an Upscale Nightclub. A Live Band on stage with about 12 guys playing something different. If I recall one act was a Belly Dancer also. I think everyone has heard that music one time or another.

For the Wedding in Cairo, I wasn't really invited. They were holding a Wedding Celebration and Reception in the hotel I was staying in almost right in the Lobby. So after getting a cool one from the bar I sat down and watched. The Bride was stunning in her Wedding Dress with Pearls. You can be sure that these Egyptians had big money. Security was tight and you had to go through a Metal Detector to get into the hotel. Some people were even searched but they let me go without that.

My appreciation in different music has more to do with the fact that I got to travel a lot in my earlier years and got to witness much of this by being their.To appreciate ones culture I think you have to also appreciate there music to, as this is part of it. Perhaps my biggest surprise in my travels was that the happiest people in the world to me seemed to be the Nigerians. Smiling and Singing all the time. Yet they seem to also have the most violence on TV. The most unhappy seemed to me to be Libyans. Not many had TV, so maybe that is why?

I think it may be time to look at some Persian music.

The cover shot for this video is a Safavid-period illustration, similar to the image below showing Shah Sulaiman the Safavid.

image008.jpg

It was of course Shah Sulaiman who sanctioned the Persian embassy to Siam in 1685. Professor David Wyatt's review of the embassy, published in the Journal of the Siam Society back in 1973, may warrant a quick read.