Police Crackdown Illegally Reserved Roadside Parking in Chiang Mai

webfact

Police Crackdown Illegally Reserved Roadside Parking in Chiang Mai
by CityNews

cm22.jpg
Photo from CM108

CityNews – Pol. Col. Piyapan Pattarapoingsin, Superintendent of the Chiang Mai Traffic Police has begun clearing up the streets of Chiang Mai, removing privately placed ‘no parking’ signs from public roads.

The clean up has followed a recent clean up of some parts of Bangkok earlier this month where privately owned stools, signs and barriers have been removed by police to free parking spaces on public roads.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/police-crackdown-illegally-reserved-roadside-parking-in-chiang-mai/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-03-25

Not before time.

This nonsense has been going on all over Thailand.

Many business owners think they own the road outside their premises.

In Khonkaen there is a shop owner who charges people 20 baht to park outside his shop.

about time, this BS has gone on too long, if you try to defy them and park there without paying you risk life and car.

Don't forget.....this is only a crackdown.......certainly won't last more than a few days...

Not before time.

In Khonkaen there is a shop owner who charges people 20 baht to park outside his shop.

Well get your wife to show this post to the Khon Kaen police - this thread relates to CM (at least, I thought it did, before being hi-jacked.)

The Bangkok crackdown seems to have had non impact. I still see many privately reserved specs on the streets. The last time I tried to park in front of a small business a lady came out and told me I had to move because her husband may come there today. I suggested calling the police so she said, well, ok to park for a short time. They really believe they own the street and anyone parking in front of a business must get permission from the business owner.

Not before time.

You can see it in Pattaya also, I am on the side of the police in this one.

Not before time.

Well get your wife to show this post to the Khon Kaen police - this thread relates to CM (at least, I thought it did, before being hi-jacked.)

The thread is not being hi jacked, the poster is only commenting on what happens in Chaing Mai actually

happens in other places also.

The is an expression in Mandarin for this sort of "crackdown" that translates as:

"Three-minute heat wave."

I reckon in Thai that is probably the direct translation of the word "crackdown".

Only bettered by their use of the word "manhunt" which loosely translates to "a bunch of bumbling idiots who couldn't find their ar$e with two hands".

'The clean up has followed a recent clean up of some parts of Bangkok earlier this month where privately owned stools, signs and barriers have been removed by police to free parking spaces on public roads.' They have a way to go, then. They might try looking at space that clubs allot themselves; but then they'd have to demand lower fees.

They might do better if they actually took an interest in whose cars were parked. Where I live (city centre) we never had a problem with parking until 2 large "boutique" hotels opened. They used pretty much all the space they had = nice green grass / swimming pool all that stuff with a few parking spaces squashed in for guests. There is guest overspill in high season.

The real killer is they have absolutely no staff parking. So their staff are out perusing the surrounding sois starting with the people who do breakfast at around 6am. It leaves residents with really no choice, they take some control over the parking in front of them or else they turn into parking lots for these hotels.

Shops near Mad Dog put out boards, chairs, and even horizontally parked M/C to stop cars from parking there. It's a right pain.

Horizontally parked M/Cs are the norm, often blocking access from road to pavement.

Horizontally parked? What does that mean, laying the bikes down in their sides ? Presumably the alternative would be parking motorbikes vertically?

I'm a bit over walking down the recently converted one way sois in Nimman whilst dodging speeding drivers. The least they could have done was restrict parking to one side of the road along with the one way conversion so pedestrians and motorbike riders have safer passage!?

I am surprised they haven't cottoned on to parking meters.

LOL...funny suggestion. No-one would actually be prepared to pay for them nor their installation though. Mai mee!

works well in Kuala Lumpur and other Malaysian cities and generates revenue as well as controlling the parking. I police have time to be garbage collectors, i am sure they could allocate some of them to parking meter duty. Its not as if there is much crime to be solved here. They could even have parking meters installed on the pavement for the street vendors!