Police Crackdown Illegally Reserved Roadside Parking in Chiang Mai

webfact

Not before time.

This nonsense has been going on all over Thailand.

Many business owners think they own the road outside their premises.

In Khonkaen there is a shop owner who charges people 20 baht to park outside his shop.

Well get your wife to show this post to the Khon Kaen police - this thread relates to CM (at least, I thought it did, before being hi-jacked.)

The thread is not being hi jacked, the poster is only commenting on what happens in Chaing Mai actually

happens in other places also.

I rest my case.

Shops near Mad Dog put out boards, chairs, and even horizontally parked M/C to stop cars from parking there. It's a right pain.

Horizontally parked M/Cs are the norm, often blocking access from road to pavement.

Horizontally parked? What does that mean, laying the bikes down in their sides ? Presumably the alternative would be parking motorbikes vertically?

Work it out. Oh, let me help you. It means like parking a car alongside the pavement.

Not before time.

This nonsense has been going on all over Thailand.

Many business owners think they own the road outside their premises.

In Khonkaen there is a shop owner who charges people 20 baht to park outside his shop.

Well get your wife to show this post to the Khon Kaen police - this thread relates to CM (at least, I thought it did, before being hi-jacked.)

The thread is not being hi jacked, the poster is only commenting on what happens in Chaing Mai actually

happens in other places also.

I rest my case.

What case would that be?

At least Chiang Mai doesn't have gangs of motobike taxis claiming areas of the street. That is incredibly annoying.

I once had a motobike taxi driver threaten to stab me for refusing to move my bike from the far edge of their unmarked taxi zone. Pattaya, of course. I finally moved, as it wasn't worth the hassle or my life.

Edited by dcnx

Section 44 of the land Traffic Act states that placing these objects on the streets is illegal, and that violators face a maximum fine of 500 baht.

The Bangkok police that this story refers to claim that no sooner do they collect the objects that the shopkeepers place more, and that they collect 40-50kg of objects every day.

A crazy idea, but perhaps instead of playing garbage collectors, the police should simply enforce the law?

If the police wanted to improve traffic flow they might keep the food carts off the streets and footpath on those streets during the times which are sign posted as ''no parking'' between 0600 and 0900 and 1500 and 1800. If a business does not have off street parking, they should not be allowed to open during these times.

Then require rental vehicles businesses to have off street parking facilities. The police should be a lot more predictable on where and when they are going to direct traffic around schools and high student traffic areas. A policeman flapping his arms 2 days out of 5 at a intersection does not teach drivers to be aware of dangers every school day as needed.

They might do better if they actually took an interest in whose cars were parked. Where I live (city centre) we never had a problem with parking until 2 large "boutique" hotels opened. They used pretty much all the space they had = nice green grass / swimming pool all that stuff with a few parking spaces squashed in for guests. There is guest overspill in high season.

The real killer is they have absolutely no staff parking. So their staff are out perusing the surrounding sois starting with the people who do breakfast at around 6am. It leaves residents with really no choice, they take some control over the parking in front of them or else they turn into parking lots for these hotels.

And the hotel and its guests are not 'public' ??

You complain the hotel didnt put in private parking on its land, while you dont have private parking on your own land ?? and yet you see no double standard in that whatsoever ??

Residents dont have some special right.. You want to live downtown, get a place with your own private space or live with the competition.. Thats what living in an urban area has..