Coming back after overstay & 20.000 baht fine

Hello.

Has anyone had experience successfully coming back shortly after paying 20.000 baht overstay fine?

My friend left the country on March 15 right before the new immigration rules took effect having overstayed by a couple of months and payed 20.000 baht fine.

He is a citizen of Russia.

Do you know if it's safe for him to come back now by plane and enter by a 30-day stamp-on-arrival?

Or better to wait 30-45 days abroad?

Edited by ethaniel

whistling.gif Apparently, from what you say, he made it out just before the new rules were put into effect.

That means there should be no restrictions on his return.

Be warned however, the new rules are now in effect since midnight on the 20th of March and future overstays may result in being banned from re-entry to Thailand for a period depending on how long the overstay is.

• He can come back whenever he wants. There is no requirement to stay out of the country for any number of days.

If is travelling without a visa the airline may want to see an onward flight out of Thailand dated within 30 days otherwise he might be refused boarding. A flight to anywhere would be accepted.

• Like 1

My guess is that he would get back in without difficulty. It is possible that he would be questioned about how he can afford to stay in Thailand without working. As long as he can demonstrate foreign sources of funds, he should be fine.

• Like 1

Thailand is enforcing strict policies on overstayers. I would expect a blacklist is implemented.

Please read and more importantly understand the guys question; your answer is 20,000 % wrong. Smarten up dude.

• Like 2

Same here. I overstayed for a couple of months too but cleared that on the 19th of March. I was denied entry at the land border. I couldn't understand it as the law was officially enforced on the 20th. I am now in Cambodia and was also denied a visa at the embassy same reason at the land border. I am going to try it in Laos.

Yesterday both myself and my wife went to HUAHIN immigration to make our 90day check. Owing to incorrect information being given by one of the officers back in Jan of this year, we found out that her visa had expired in Feb and regardless of what he had said and the fact that a further 90 stay had been granted, she was now 44days over her permitted stay...

After much consultation, a new 90day period was granted and a further 1yr visa issued. However, it will only run until Nov as she is on a dependent visa through our marriage and therefore l must show a new set of paperwork in Nove when applying for both mine and hers.....

The 44days overstay cost me 20,000bht and a further 1,900 for the new visa...So an expensive oversight but they were helpful, as firstly as it was over 40days which is the maximum period allowed and it was left to the boss to make the final decision..

Also because l did not have the correct marriage certificate paperwork, only the original, a copy and a Thai translated copy, they allowed this until l produce the correct paperwork in Nov..

So, my fault or wrongly informed, it does not matter, it can be very difficult but the immigration officers were helpful and it could have been much worse. Advice is, check the visa run out date, get your new one in advance of final day, in case there are any problems to deal with and above all stay relaxed, do not enter into any argument with the immigration officers as this will only cause more issues for you in a very stressful time already..................

Just get a Visa!

The person needs to come back quick.

Visa is arrangd at the embassy in two days IF you have THE RIGHT GOAL and purpose to enter and stay in thailand

this is not the impression one get \ as you tell the story.

Do Russians get a 30 day entry? I thought they bought a visa on arrival.

They get get 30 day visa exempt entry from a bilateral agreement. That means Thais get a 30 day day entry when they travel to Russia.

Same here. I overstayed for a couple of months too but cleared that on the 19th of March. I was denied entry at the land border. I couldn't understand it as the law was officially enforced on the 20th. I am now in Cambodia and was also denied a visa at the embassy same reason at the land border. I am going to try it in Laos.

Which border?

Denied for what reason?

Did you get an official denial stamp in your passport?

What reason did the Embassy deny the visa?

Which border?

Denied for what reason?

I was denied entry at the Kota bharu - Sungai Kolok border. Denied because of the overstay. No official stamp that says I'm denied or anything. I flew from KL to PP. Then applied for tourist visa at the embassy. Same reason I was denied - the overstay

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some IOs who will act arbitrarily on those who cleared their over stays before 20th March as the 'letter of the law' seems an arbitrary issue in Thailand officialdom.

I'd suggest a visa in the Passport before trying to return may help as I can't see trying to argue one's case at the airport with a pig-headed IO being fruitful.

An acquaintance of mine who cleared a long over-stay last year when the ban was first announced, has since returned on a 60 day TV, had a bit of a rough ride when he returned this year (his passport was taken around virtually every IO in Suwannaphumi before they finally stamped him in after an hour's messing about.

Which border?

Denied for what reason?

I was denied entry at the Kota bharu - Sungai Kolok border. Denied because of the overstay. No official stamp that says I'm denied or anything. I flew from KL to PP. Then applied for tourist visa at the embassy. Same reason I was denied - the overstay

I know little about that border crossing but I don't think it's the most 'user friendly'.

Please let us know how it goes in Laos.

Although I cleared my overstay quite a bit before the rules came in I had an extremely long overstay of 11 years and was able to re-enter 4 days later visa exempt. However it was not without some rather intense questioning by a senior lady i/o when I re-entered at Suvarnabhumi. Therefore I concur with some of the earlier posters that if possible your friend should seek a visa as that might assist on re-entry. In the end I was not in fact required to show any money but I was certainly grilled and had to sign forms acknowledging my understanding of the then proposed overstay rules. I tried not to further antagonise the situation so I tried to be reasonably well groomed and polite when being questioned. In the event I was re-admitted and since then no issue with the overstay stamp.

Yesterday both myself and my wife went to HUAHIN immigration to make our 90day check. Owing to incorrect information being given by one of the officers back in Jan of this year, we found out that her visa had expired in Feb and regardless of what he had said and the fact that a further 90 stay had been granted, she was now 44days over her permitted stay...

After much consultation, a new 90day period was granted and a further 1yr visa issued. However, it will only run until Nov as she is on a dependent visa through our marriage and therefore l must show a new set of paperwork in Nove when applying for both mine and hers.....

The 44days overstay cost me 20,000bht and a further 1,900 for the new visa...So an expensive oversight but they were helpful, as firstly as it was over 40days which is the maximum period allowed and it was left to the boss to make the final decision..

Also because l did not have the correct marriage certificate paperwork, only the original, a copy and a Thai translated copy, they allowed this until l produce the correct paperwork in Nov..

So, my fault or wrongly informed, it does not matter, it can be very difficult but the immigration officers were helpful and it could have been much worse. Advice is, check the visa run out date, get your new one in advance of final day, in case there are any problems to deal with and above all stay relaxed, do not enter into any argument with the immigration officers as this will only cause more issues for you in a very stressful time already..................

You have not payed a overstay fine, they can only be paid at departure points when leaving the country, you have paid a bribe

This does not surprise me at Hua Hin Immigration

• Like 1

You have not payed a overstay fine, they can only be paid at departure points when leaving the country, you have paid a bribe

This does not surprise me at Hua Hin Immigration

Overstay fines can be paid at any office.

What other marriage paperwork is there??

I suspect there will be a lot more of this. Just because new enforcement started on 20th March nobody who has overstayed previously can be 100% sure of returning without issues

I've always found it rather reckless in this sub forum where previously posters said pay 20,000 Baht and return 48 later no problem. I know/knew of 2 Guys where they were simply refused re entry in 2014

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

I suspect there will be a lot more of this. Just because new enforcement started on 20th March nobody who has overstayed previously can be 100% sure of returning without issues

I've always found it rather reckless in this sub forum where previously posters said pay 20,000 Baht and return 48 later no problem. I know/knew of 2 Guys where they were simply refused re entry in 2014

Entry at land borders has always been subject to refusal without the need to provide justification. The same is true of applications for visas at some consulates. They can refuse you and have no need to provide a reason. I would never apply in Phnom Penh if my prior history was questionable.

If entering by air, however, entry will not be denied unless there is a reasonable suspicion that you cannot support yourself without working illegally. At airports, denying entry is a formal process, with a stamp giving the reason for the refusal (and, theoretically, an appeals process, though it would be too painful to go through without a very good reason).

Those who overstayed, cleared their overstay before March 20, have funds outside Thailand to support themselves in the country without working, and fly back to Thailand will not be denied entry.

I took the plane out to Kuala Lumpur the 18th and return the same day. The immigration said no way and returned me back to KL. Went to Penang and got a TV and they hassled me at immigration but eventually let me in. And im a Scandinavian btw.