Immigration Chief visits Phuket, says overstay rules are to keep the bad guys out

webfact

I just wished that Thailand and its departments like Immigration and Tourism would modernize and

let us Tourists, and travellers stay for 90 days without the need to get visas

and extensions, that are only a money grab, of their old style ways.

There is enough corruption in the world already, and it would be a lot nicer

to be able to fly across the ocean from Canada and only be allowed to stay for 30 days

before it being necessary to get a visa.

Please Thailand, modernize yourself, thanks and good night!

He he he ...well you need to be from Chile, Peru, Korea, Brazil or Argentina and get free visa for 90 days under the bilateral agreement .....and renew as many times you want you only must leave the country every 90 days .....Border run is also accepted and get 90 days again he he he .....Sorry

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with overstaying anywhere in the world. You should follow the rules of the country but I don't see how someone over staying is a destabilizing factor for the country. What are they destabilizing?

If they are working illegally then it is also the responsibility of the person employing them who knows they don't have the right documentation to work. As they say it takes two to tango but only one is being considered.

"As they say it takes two to tango but only one is being considered".

In my opinion this is where the Thai government or Immigration badly falls down.

Stiff punishments for those who employ illegals as well as the illegals themselves, then they can make it easier for genuine long term tourists, ie people

under fifty who do not want to marry, and not make them go through so many hoops when they can be a real asset to Thailand.

We're all bad guys in the eyes of Thailand. I know. Every 90 days I'm reminded that I'm a bad guy and must be watched like a prison parolee. Every year I have to report with a stack of paperwork and plead to be allow to stay in Thailand with my wife and family. In fact Thai parolees are under less scrutiny than potential criminals that we all are assumed to be in the eyes of Thailand. I wonder, after the Erawan bombing, did Thai police send officers to every parolees home to check up on them as they did with long-stay foreigner expats?

So, who are the "good guys"? Foreign women married to Thai men who fall under a different set of rules and who aren't considered a "national security risk" to the interests of Thailand? Gold Vista holders? HiSo rich foreigners?

All I know is the rest of us will always be a stroke of bad luck away from being "a bad guy" in the eyes of Thailand.

"Why do you stay if you don't like it. Why don't you go home?"

I've been married to the same Thai woman for 8 years next month. I've lived in Thailand continuously for over 8 years and as long as my wife and my family still breath I have no plans to leave. There is nothing for me in my 'home country', my 'home' is here, where I've made my physical home. I've worked here, I've paid taxes, I've contribute to the betterment of Thai society, and now my Thai wife and I are retired, have watched our son marry, and await the joys for being grand-parents. In any 'civilized', compassionate country...in virtually any Western country, under the same circumstances, I'd have a clear path to residency and eventual citizenship is I so choose. Why not here? <"You can apply for permanent residency!!!"> (The permanent residency requirements are a complicated paperwork shuffle fraught with massive expenses that other countries don't toss in the path of long-stay foreigners married to women in their home countries - then the money needed under the table? <head shake> It's a road block, not a path - I simply want the same path to residency as a foreign women married to a Thai man) Because we are assumed from the start to be 'bad'; it's legislated that male foreigner are bad; and we're always 90 days away from a self-fulfilling prophecy that we are bad; we're one unfortunate <sickness, accident, sever economic downturn) away from a self-fulfilling prophecy each year at visa renewal that we are bad.

It's a stacked deck. Play long enough and you'll eventually lose. Then you actuate that self-fulfilling prophecy: you're a 'bad' foreigner.

post 7 didn't take long did it for the old tattoo thing to be posted,99 % of thai girls have tattoos idiot. so they are criminals,? for your information i have tattoos, was MD of my own company, oh and i am living here legitimately. OK,

"99 % of thai girls have tattoos idiot"

Do you really believe that???? What nonsense. The real idiots are not the ones with the odd tattoo, but the ones who are covered in them, some on both arms, both legs

chest back etc. these are the real idiots for deliberately disfiguring themselves.

But these idiots are harming no one but themselves, and each to his own.

We're all bad guys in the eyes of Thailand. I know. Every 90 days I'm reminded that I'm a bad guy and must be watched like a prison parolee. Every year I have to report with a stack of paperwork and plead to be allow to stay in Thailand with my wife and family. In fact Thai parolees are under less scrutiny than potential criminals that we all are assumed to be in the eyes of Thailand. I wonder, after the Erawan bombing, did Thai police send officers to every parolees home to check up on them as they did with long-stay foreigner expats?

So, who are the "good guys"? Foreign women married to Thai men who fall under a different set of rules and who aren't considered a "national security risk" to the interests of Thailand? Gold Vista holders? HiSo rich foreigners?

All I know is the rest of us will always be a stroke of bad luck away from being "a bad guy" in the eyes of Thailand.

I've been married to the same Thai woman for 8 years next month. I've lived in Thailand continuously for over 8 years and as long as my wife and my family still breath I have no plans to leave. There is nothing for me in my 'home country', my 'home' is here, where I've made my physical home. I've worked here, I've paid taxes, I've contribute to the betterment of Thai society, and now my Thai wife and I are retired, have watched our son marry, and await the joys for being grand-parents. In any 'civilized', compassionate country...in virtually any Western country, under the same circumstances, I'd have a clear path to residency and eventual citizenship is I so choose. Why not here? <"You can apply for permanent residency!!!"> (The permanent residency requirements are a complicated paperwork shuffle fraught with massive expenses that other countries don't toss in the path of long-stay foreigners married to women in their home countries - then the money needed under the table? <head shake> It's a road block, not a path - I simply want the same path to residency as a foreign women married to a Thai man) Because we are assumed from the start to be 'bad'; it's legislated that male foreigner are bad; and we're always 90 days away from a self-fulfilling prophecy that we are bad; we're one unfortunate <sickness, accident, sever economic downturn) away from a self-fulfilling prophecy each year at visa renewal that we are bad.

It's a stacked deck. Play long enough and you'll eventually lose. Then you actuate that self-fulfilling prophecy: you're a 'bad' foreigner.

One of the most sensible posts I've read on this forum.

Is the immigration chief really sure it's over stayers that are the problem?

Seems as if even those with correct paperwork, visa's etc are shall we say ''undesirable and their presence is wanted in their home country hence an extradition request..''

Now why didn't the immigration sleuths discover this guy was or is ''A bad guy?"",

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/905703-accused-russian-mobster-captured-in-pattaya/

Edited by shunter

I have been here in Thailand with the same lady for almost 20 years. I'm sure many here on Thaivisa can tell a similar history. I have paid Thai income tax for 16 years, yet each year when I apply for my married to Thai extension I feel like I am just one step away from being ejected from the country if my paperwork is not in perfect order. Indeed one year when Immigration changed the rules I found myself out of complence. Immigration official rsponse - you need to leave Thailand.

I've looked at the permanent residency route, Phuket Immigration laughed at me we asked about it, told me I had no 'high connections'.

Edited by LivinginKata

Errrr if the bad guys are on overstay surely they must be here already facepalm.gif

who are the bad guys.... the ones who bring the money to this country and live here, invest here and try to create and integrate into a lifestyle or the ones who are exhorting, taking bribes in obtaining loop wholes in the system, so that they get the extra money in cash in their hands and the ones exhorted are their new slaves... paying for everything.

Cannot work, so employ

Cannot live but pay and stay

Cannot invest but can give money away

I wonder who are these bad guys that the immigration is so keen on keeping out.

If within their ranks its riddled with bribery and corruption... yeah throw these bad guys out!!!!

I am for it.

who are the bad guys.... the ones who bring the money to this country and live here, invest here and try to create and integrate into a lifestyle

For every one of these model citizens you describe there are at least 2-3 more low-lifes who are the exact opposite.

They far outnumber the law abiding cheap-charlies who have made their home in Thailand. Otherwise those who have the means to live elsewhere, would not live in Thailand.

Edited by nemrut

who are the bad guys.... the ones who bring the money to this country and live here, invest here and try to create and integrate into a lifestyle

For every one of these model citizens you describe there are at least 2-3 more low-lifes who are the exact opposite.

They far outnumber the law abiding cheap-charlies who have made their home in Thailand. Otherwise those who have the means to live elsewhere, would not live in Thailand.

Agree whole heartedly with you. I lived in Hong Kong and Australia for over 5 years never had this stress of been identified or associated with the Cheap charlie.... its only here in Thailand that we pay to remain silent.

I have been here in Thailand with the same lady for almost 20 years. I'm sure many here on Thaivisa can tell a similar history. I have paid Thai income tax for 16 years, yet each year when I apply for my married to Thai extension I feel like I am just one step away from being ejected from the country if my paperwork is not in perfect order. Indeed one year when Immigration changed the rules I found myself out of complence. Immigration official rsponse - you need to leave Thailand.

I've looked at the permanent residency route, Phuket Immigration laughed at me we asked about it, told me I had no 'high connections'.

"I've looked at the permanent residency route, Phuket Immigration laughed at me we asked about it, told me I had no 'high connections'."

One doesn't need high connections for that. I think they meant 'we won't make any money off you any more'.

For those complainers and disrespectful people .... I suggest you go and have a look at the Indonesian immigration policy on overstaying ..... you go to Jail and/or pay a lot of money so 20,000 or 50,000 is nothing in comparison so be happy with what we have is good in fact is very very good.

Look at the immigration policy of other Asian Countries and also New Zealand Australia USA etc ....

Strange comment since this is about Thailand but since you started it......

Would you also kindly state just how much easier it is for a foreigner married to an Indonesian to stay leagally there?

The visa deal for married/retirees in Thailand is fraught with BS to be complied with and one missed step, for any reason makes you a "Bad Guy".

Foreign wives of Thai men get a fair and proper visa deal and respect.

Foreign men married to Thai women do not get the same rspect or visa deal!

My wife has been guaranteed by me (as an EU citizen) and she has a 5 yearly renewable EU ID Card.

This allows her freedom of movement without further payment or checks.

She is my trusted wife!

I have a 5 year driving license in Thailand so why can't I have a 5 year Thai (FOREIGNERS) ID Card?

Like my wife has in the EU?

Every year I/she has to submit a TM 30, House Masters Report that a foreigner is staying in her house within 24 hours of arrival.

If I go to stay with a family member or friend

I should complete a TM 28, change of address, within 24 hours.

Every continuous 90 days in Thailand I must submit a TM 47, 90 day report.

The online system has never worked for me.

Every year I must apply for a retirement (or marriage) extension.

I need to have 800,000Baht tied up in a Thai bank for a minimum of 90 days and pay for a letter of proof from the bank or

I must pay about 3,000Baht to my Embassy for a proof of funds affidavit.

Should I wish to leave Thailand, I must buy a re-entry permit, 1,000Baht or restart the whole visa/extension process again.

The Imm Office is about 25Km away. Every visit at least half a day plus taxi fares.

The Embassy about 100Km away.

I'm on a retirement extension and cannot have a work permit but

I think I am breaking Thai Immigration Law because:-

I seem to be working for Immigration and being allowed to pay them for the privilege!

I don't get it.

Surely, immigration can match the arrival card with the departure card to see who has obeyed the rules. If they enter the amount of days that the person is allowed, then the computer can indicate which people are overstaying when the departure card becomes due but, has not been submitted.

For these, they can look at the address given on the arrival card. They won't catch everyone, but, they will know the name and passport number of every overstayer.

Is that too logical?

I don't get it.

Surely, immigration can match the arrival card with the departure card to see who has obeyed the rules. If they enter the amount of days that the person is allowed, then the computer can indicate which people are overstaying when the departure card becomes due but, has not been submitted.

For these, they can look at the address given on the arrival card. They won't catch everyone, but, they will know the name and passport number of every overstayer.

Is that too logical?

Yes, maybe in a few more years. We have only had Immigration online facilities for not much more than a couple of year.

I don't understand how this keeps the bad guys out. I'm sure there must be plenty of idiots out there who have proper, up to date visas and possibly plenty of decent fellows that have overstayed. But I suppose that overstaying now makes them a criminal, hence a bad person. Yes, now I understand their logic. Or do I?

I think their logic is you should not be illegally staying here and now if you are caught they will make sure that you won't be staying here at least for 1--3 --5 or 10 years. Kinda simple.

I don't understand how this keeps the bad guys out. I'm sure there must be plenty of idiots out there who have proper, up to date visas and possibly plenty of decent fellows that have overstayed. But I suppose that overstaying now makes them a criminal, hence a bad person. Yes, now I understand their logic. Or do I?

I think their logic is you should not be illegally staying here and now if you are caught they will make sure that you won't be staying here at least for 1--3 --5 or 10 years. Kinda simple.

1) Now it looks like someone does something?

2) While we are all taken up on this non-story - what are we really missing?

I think part of the logic is that the authorities can't always prosecute criminals for their criminal activity, and although they can often kick them out for overstaying, they can come back a repeat offend. Africans selling drugs etc in lower Sukhumvit being a simple example. Now if a criminal case can't be brought, and the person is on overstay (likely), they have a way of keeping them out.

I don't get it.

Is that too logical?

OMG.... you just turned the poor immigrations cognitive mind to grey matter..... what is it in for him if he is to think? Let it be.....Poor chaps will burn out. This is far above or too low to their supreme paper trail that is more efficient..... computer is only there to print and do research.

I don't get it.

Is that too logical?

OMG.... you just turned the poor immigrations cognitive mind to grey matter..... what is it in for him if he is to think? Let it be.....Poor chaps will burn out. This is far above or too low to their supreme paper trail that is more efficient..... computer is only there to print and do research play games!

+1

More paper to cover the ass is good?

Just in case?

Why not?

Change for efficiency?

Well we always did it this way?

Any way, if busy can always ask for something the client not have so he go away and come back another day.

See, not busy now! 555

Problem for someone else. - Next

I think their logic is that if some one overstays, then, they are criminals and are more likely to commit other crimes.

So Wednesday you're a fine upstanding person welcome in Thailand. Then Friday and you're a criminal who is disrupting the stability of the nation who needs to be deported and banned from re entry. Edited by Time Traveller

Keeping bad guys out has nothing to do with overstayers they are are already in.

Has everything to do with immigration not being able to keep the bad guys out when they enter.

And this guy is chief !?

Duh. If you overstay, when you're finally caught, you get banned for some number of years. That keeps you out - for that number of years at least.

Genius. coffee1.gif

I must admit though, the "stability of the country" thing seems mostly nonsense.

Edited by hawker9000