tool for splitting bamboo

andreas islinger

Looks very interesting.

Having them made in a metal worship sounds like a good idea.

Would you mind telling us how to split bamboo.

How fresh/ dried does it need to be? What to look out for?

I just use a flat machete and hit it with and old, heavy piece of wood to knock it through. You only get one split at a time but it's good for all diameters of the bamboo. As far as splitting it cut it green i one day and split it the next. I've never tried to split old dried bamboo.

I have never seen these type of splitters in Thailand. Thai's split bamboo all the time so why don't you just ask someone to demonstrate. No special tools are needed. Smaller stock they drive a machete through using a hammer. Bigger stock splitting is often assisted by wedges or hand driving the culm into a post. But maybe step back and think what are you doing with bamboo that needs it split? I don't like split bamboo because pieces are weaker than a circle and loses having the outer coating being total protection.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks i shall go to a metal workshop and have them made up....

Did you get sorted ? We have a bamboo village near us, everyone in this little hamlet makes tables, day beds and bamboo salas. Some lucky person will sit there all day long using tools like the photo and feed the workers the slats for bed or table tops.

If your out of luck I can go ask .. Npb

Archived