Questioning a doctor in Thailand

bazza40

There seems to be a rather different approach to the doctor-patient relationship in Thailand in comparison to Western European/ North American countries.

For many Thai patients it would be highly usual to have an informed conversation about treatment options or to receive detailed explanations about underlying causes or deployed procedures.

However having said this, most doctors in Thailand had some exposure to Western culture and often had some training in the West. Many seem to be aware of these differences and would not understand this as a confrontation.

Personally, when going to see a doctor in Bangkok, I specifically asked them to tell me the "whats, hows, and whys". It has never resulted in awkwardness and most readily provided the information.

Try getting anywhere in the UK under the National Health Service. A person has to be literally at death`s door before a GP will admit anyone to a hospital. I don`t see any problems in discussing uncertainties and concerns with Thai doctors, if I`m not sure about anything, I just ask.

Archived